Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjvi5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Just got it set up and so far so good. My configuration:

-Imac in upstairs office. Latest version of itunes, external drive with 45,000 songs and about 25-30 movies in the itunes format.
-Airport Extreme Router (latest version)
-Apple TV downstairs connected via HDMA to 42" widescreen Plasma tv.
-Right next to the ATV is an Airport Express Base Station.

So I got everything set up and connected the ATV to my network. My utlimate goal is to stream as much as I can and I had no problem viewing/playing things in my itunes library. The movies look great, the music sounded great.

Some questions:

1) Will I pick up any speed by plugging an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the ATV to the ethernet port on the Airport Express Base Station?
2) Even when not streaming content from my computer, the ATV seemed very slow. I would click to do something and it would take sometimes a few seconds, to up to a minute to act/register. Is that just because it was slow because it was trying to sync.
3)I only got a 40 gig so I'd like to avoid syncing wherever possible and be able to stream as much as I can. Any hints or tips regarding that would be appreciated.
4) If I'm in Itunes on my upstairs computer and I do sync some movies to the ATV from upstairs but then want to delete them, can I do that from upstairs on itunes or do I have to do it on the ATV menu itself?

Anything else anyone can recommend for this set up would be helpful.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Just got it set up and so far so good. My configuration:

-Imac in upstairs office. Latest version of itunes, external drive with 45,000 songs and about 25-30 movies in the itunes format.
-Airport Extreme Router (latest version)
-Apple TV downstairs connected via HDMA to 42" widescreen Plasma tv.
-Right next to the ATV is an Airport Express Base Station.

So I got everything set up and connected the ATV to my network. My utlimate goal is to stream as much as I can and I had no problem viewing/playing things in my itunes library. The movies look great, the music sounded great.

Some questions:

1) Will I pick up any speed by plugging an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the ATV to the ethernet port on the Airport Express Base Station?
2) Even when not streaming content from my computer, the ATV seemed very slow. I would click to do something and it would take sometimes a few seconds, to up to a minute to act/register. Is that just because it was slow because it was trying to sync.
3)I only got a 40 gig so I'd like to avoid syncing wherever possible and be able to stream as much as I can. Any hints or tips regarding that would be appreciated.
4) If I'm in Itunes on my upstairs computer and I do sync some movies to the ATV from upstairs but then want to delete them, can I do that from upstairs on itunes or do I have to do it on the ATV menu itself?

Anything else anyone can recommend for this set up would be helpful.

1. You might, especially when syncing, but probably not enough during normal streaming to matter. I have mine plugged into my router only because it's close by. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
2. Have you updated the ATV software to the latest version? Previously, the interface was notoriously slow to respond. Since the last update it has gotten a lot better for me, but I still experience the odd delay now and again.
3. You can stream everything but photos if you like. Works like a charm. I put my music, photos, and the movies I watch the most on the ATV, and the rest (the huge majority) gets streamed over my G network.
4. With the exception of rentals (and podcasts, which you can download or play right from the ATV), the ATV is controlled through iTunes. If you want to delete anything from the ATV, you have to do it through iTunes.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Choose Sync Computer NOT Shared Computer. Then in iTunes click the AppleTV and choose 'Custom Sync'. In this fashion I put my TV Shows, Music Videos, and Pictures on the ATV hard drive and I stream Movies and Music from my Time Capsule.

jbgardner

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Issue Streaming Content from Time Capsule

Set up my AppleTV today with the option to stream content from my Itunes library stored on my Time Capsule. I am able to set this up and begin streaming content but the ATV keeps dropping the library and I need to keep enetering in a new password to register with my Itunes library. ANyboday else have this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.