Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horizontal / Vertical or Vertical / Horizontal

• Horizontal / Vertical

Votes: 37 97.4%
  • Vertical / Horizontal

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I'm an idiot I didn't know there was a difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
We have a little debate going here regarding correct display of dimensions. I was taught and have witnessed in every other company I have worked for that when listing artwork dimensions i.e. 55mm x 65mm, the first number should refer to the horizontal dimension and the latter should refer to the vertical.

So the above dimensions would create a box 55mm across and 65mm high.

I have some money on this so cast your votes - do it for the boobs! :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Always H x V. A4 Portrait for example is always specified as 210 x 297. Even page set up boxes have the width first.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Well I'd say instinctively (maths x by y) and professionally it would be HxV but it doesn't always turn out that way when I'm working on my own. I know when I'm jotting measurements of A size paper I normally work purely in landscape even when needing portrait measurements for example.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
MacBoobsPro, I think we should stop talking about which is right, and start talking about what you're going to do with the money you're going to win. That would be far more interesting and would give you more variety of answers. Of course it is HxV. :)

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
width is always first...or atleast should be, but it never fails that i get dimensions from some pub, outdoor company, or website that has them flipped. Sites are usually pretty easy to spot, i mean, 90 x 728 is just not a normal size, but magazines and pubs confuse the hell out of me. I had one give it to me this (or something close to it);

10.5 x 4

well, i build an ad that is 10.5" wide x 4" tall (which totally jacked up my artwork), to be told that it's actually 10.5" tall by 4 COLUMNS wide. What? why would you list columns last?

-je

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
width is always first...or atleast should be, but it never fails that i get dimensions from some pub, outdoor company, or website that has them flipped. Sites are usually pretty easy to spot, i mean, 90 x 728 is just not a normal size, but magazines and pubs confuse the hell out of me. I had one give it to me this (or something close to it);

10.5 x 4

well, i build an ad that is 10.5" wide x 4" tall (which totally jacked up my artwork), to be told that it's actually 10.5" tall by 4 COLUMNS wide. What? why would you list columns last?

-je

And how wide is one column times 4 plus the margins and gutters? :eek:

This has all started because I have recently starting working for a new company and for years they have had the dimensions listed 'backwards' i.e. V x H. Now I've come into the studio and the first thing I noticed was that a lot of clients were sending in artwork in the wrong format. I looked into i all the forms and documentation that went out to clients were wrong.

My boss wasn't so sure as he had been doing like this for years. He checked it with a friendly client of his and the client was probably the only other person in the world that also did it backwards and now there is a debate on what is correct. As I'm younger I obviously don't know what I'm talking about :rolleyes: said the award winning graphic designer with his own company. :p

The money will go towards helping orphan chickens find a loving family. All £5 of it.

NinerRider

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
I know of some countries that out you in jail for the rest of your natural life if you put V before H. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them. I worked with print shops that also use 'm' for thousand instead of 'K'. Being from Europe, I don't get that either. ;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I know of some countries that out you in jail for the rest of your natural life if you put V before H. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them. I worked with print shops that also use 'm' for thousand instead of 'K'. Being from Europe, I don't get that either. ;)

Oh no 'm' for 1000? :eek: That reminds me of Printing.com that insist on saying 1.5mm bleed is infact 3mm bleed, it ain't... it's 1.5mm bleed!

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
And how wide is one column times 4 plus the margins and gutters? :eek:

Exactly, and how wide is a column. I've personally come across at least 4 different column sizes and none of them ever make sense. I always ask the pub to give it to me in Inches. I think it's fine to say 4col. x 12" if you are placing media, but when it comes time to build it, i need inches. Man, i'd take mm, picas, pixels, freakin anything over columns. Oh well, another day another dollar. Gotta get back to work.

-je

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I read horizontally, so I logically put width before height. That's my way of remembering.

I also tend to put "W" and "H" after my dimensions just to be on the safe side.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I read horizontally, so I logically put width before height. That's my way of remembering.

I also tend to put "W" and "H" after my dimensions just to be on the safe side.

I (strangely) remember it as 'across the corridor and up the stairs' because the day I learnt about dimensions etc I was in a new building and also had to remember my way to the class room. They both kind of merged into a mental picture of a corridor and some stairs. Synaesthesia and all that (probably). :D

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Width before Height. Both Apple and Adobe list it that way, so it's good enough for me.

Also...I thought the 8.5" x 11" was the best way of remembering it, but I was wrong. "Across the corridor and up the stairs" is clearly superior.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 19,245
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 19,282

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
And call the US paper 8 1/2" x 11" !

There probably is no correct universal answer.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Generally w-h...

However, for large paper rolls, the width is actually the shorter dimension listed as 42 inches x 100 feet.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK

10.5 x 4

-je

I worked for a newspaper many years ago and I'm pretty sure we always said 'ten by two' or 'ten by three' meaning for instance 10 cm high by 2 columns wide. Obviously the column is particular to the publication. Column widths were always expressed in picas and points.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, that's just what I remember.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
This thread is from 2008...

But yes: x, then y. Horizontal then vertical. Across then up. Down the corridor and up the stairs...

/Doug

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I worked for a newspaper many years ago and I'm pretty sure we always said 'ten by two' or 'ten by three' meaning for instance 10 cm high by 2 columns wide. Obviously the column is particular to the publication. Column widths were always expressed in picas and points.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, that's just what I remember.

Every newspaper ad I've ever designed was described as columns x height, and with everything done in inches.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I always work height x width. When you book a press ad, it's always specified that way, ie 25x4 = 250mm height by 4 column width. Carried it over to standard working pretty much all my clients do it that way too.

macfly81

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
The question was about artwork dimensions not paper or ads or whatever other random things folks are citing, perhaps it was the vagueness of the question that resulted in all the incorrect answers. Im not trying to be pretentious but for 2 dimensional FINE art (at least in the US) height is always first then width, for sculpture, or 2-d work that's got some thickness HxWxD. Every exhibition I have ever applied to requests the dimensions in this format, all museums and conservators of fine art list the dimensions HxWxD, every reputable style guide, guide, catalogue, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.