Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Anyone know why it takes a long 15-20 seconds to connect to my local wifi network after sleep?

My friends Air, and my past macbook is near instantly. Thanks!

Kr3st

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Anyone know why it takes a long 15-20 seconds to connect to my local wifi network after sleep?

My friends Air, and my past macbook is near instantly. Thanks!

Mine just started doing this as well, I dont know if it was some sort of update or what, but it now takes at least 20 seconds to find a wifi signal.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
strange no one else is saying they have this issue!

its not HORRIBLE, it never dissconnects. It just takes awhile to connect

Kr3st

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Do you happen to have an apple airport base station?? If so that could be the problem, seems like it happen right after an update.

mAc-warrior

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
The new macbooks have wi-fi issues due to its aluminum construction. Check this review from Gizmodo. While it doesn't mention slow to find and connect, the aluminum body may account for the slow find/connect.

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

I label this claim BS.

My Unibody MBP connects to my Time Capsule (and campus Wifi) in less than the time it takes for Safari to launch after I open the lid. In fact, I just tested it. It was connected by the time I typed in my password to unlock the screen. This was probably around 5 seconds. If your MBP does not connect in less than 5 seconds after waking up there is something wrong.

No problems connecting to my home wifi in the car on the street in front of my house either. The aluminum enclosures can't be that bad.

--mAc

bojackson63044

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
I label this claim BS.

My Unibody MBP connects to my Time Capsule (and campus Wifi) in less than the time it takes for Safari to launch after I open the lid. In fact, I just tested it. It was connected by the time I typed in my password to unlock the screen. This was probably around 5 seconds. If your MBP does not connect in less than 5 seconds after waking up there is something wrong.

No problems connecting to my home wifi in the car on the street in front of my house either. The aluminum enclosures can't be that bad.

--mAc

I'm not saying that necessarily accounts for the time lag. But I do have both a new unibody and an older plastic cased macbook. There's definitely a noticeable difference in the time the unibody takes to connect to wi-fi upon wake. I was simple trying to find some justification for the phenomenon. "BS" may be a bit extreme.

NoMoreThanToys

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Same here

I have a client, MacBook Pro. Other objects (phones, pc's, tablets) connect to his Cisco wireless n router with no problem. His MacBook however, takes an excessive amount of time to connect to it. I'm talking minutes. This does not happen with other routers, so I'm inclined to believe its a config issue, but I cant pinpoint any settings in the router which might account for this. My iPad does not go through this. Any tips on cinfigureing a wireless router for Apple OS?

Mac-Warrior... typical. That's at attitude that keeps me primarily PC. So people like you don't try to talk to me at Starbucks. (I don't care about your new pink cover)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.