Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
It would be interesting to hear what people think of it. Of course, I'm most interested in the netflix streaming, which appears to blow away itunes when it comes to content. Boxee again, is the only thing saving the apple tv.

However, as long as I would need to pay a subscription for BOTH netflix AND xbox gold in order to stream netflix on the 360, I think i'll hold off. I have no interest in online gaming on the 360.

Hopefully, they will eventually open up netflix without a GOLD membership.

Here's hoping for netflix on boxee sometime soon...

sagew

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Tomorrow?

Pretty sure it doesn't launch until tomorrow (19th). I'm looking forward to Netflix...and the rest I don't care a whole lot about.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
the launch is tomorrow and i'm looking forward to streaming netflix also.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
apparently, people that signed up for the beta and didn't get selected are getting the update today. That is what I got from looking at xbox.com forums earlier. I am personally not looking forward to the Wii-ish look of the whole thing. I want some of the features, just not the little kid interface. I'd like to keep my blades, thanks.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm looking forward to it. I love my Xbox but I always thought the interface was a bit clunky and awkward in places. The NXE looks cool.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
imo,

the ui is alright.
the best part of the ui is speed. a lot faster than the blades. especially while in game.

netflix was unimpressive. i have a roku and i have all bars for signal strenght. same on my imac. but on xbox i get 1 bar and get a warning that i don't have a strong enough signal to play movies. the xbox is the only one directly connected to the router.

anyway, it was a needed update and everyone will have their likes and dislikes.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I'm digging the update. My netflix experience was smooth, and considering I already had a Gold Live account and Netflix ti's a huge bonus. The avatars are OK, and I really like the UI and quickness of the system.

Oh yeah, and the "friend party" set up is incredibly better than it was before. Talk about connecting with people. I'm playing some games and chatting with my brothers halfway across the country almost every night. It's great.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I'm loving the NXE update. I was fortunate in getting it last week (part of the beta) and overall think the improvements are awesome. The only thing I don't like about NXE is the "main" friends list (not the friends list in the quick launch). Visually speaking, it's very difficult to discern the status of any of your friends because it's done in the "cover-flow" style. I'll be sticking with the quick launch friends list instead.

Overall though, love the NXE update.

w00master

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I was unimpressed with the Mii-wannabe avatar idea as well. I liked the simplicity of blades. That said, the new UI is indeed much *snappier*. :rolleyes:
The Netflix thing is interesting, but I've not tried it yet.
No, the major new feature that I've been waiting semi-patiently for is the ability to install a game directly onto the hard drive. I have a 1st-gen 360 with the "Leer jet - optical drive package", so anything that lets me play full-sized games without that DVD wailing at me is a welcome change.
Navigate to the Games portion of the NXE interface, highlight the game that's currently in the DVD drive, and press "Y". You'll get several game-related options.. one of which is to install to hard disk. Wahooo! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.