Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
I've had my aluminum MacBook for about maybe a month or so now. I've noticed, that no matter how I try, I cannot have it go into sleep mode properly (when I commute/carry it around). Usually when I need to take it to school, I would click "Sleep", the screen would black out, and I put down the monitor. However, when I put it into my backpack - no matter how lightly - it'll start up again! Once, I didn't notice that it started up again, when I brought it out in class, it had dropped from 100% to about 70% as if I'd already been using it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
hmm...do you have any apps that can possibly wake it up? or maybe a wireless mouse or something? ive never had my macbook wake up on me, i even let it sleep for 15 hours once...and it only dropped ~10 percent, so it never woke up...but i always close all my apps and make sure nothing is running that could possibly do that...

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
hmm...do you have any apps that can possibly wake it up? or maybe a wireless mouse or something? ive never had my macbook wake up on me, i even let it sleep for 15 hours once...and it only dropped ~10 percent, so it never woke up...but i always close all my apps and make sure nothing is running that could possibly do that...

I tried shutting down all programs today, then putting it to sleep. Again, it wouldn't sleep properly. Thanks though!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Even if there are no applications running, it's still possible there are background processes running that prevent it from going to sleep. I can't think of any off hand right now, but did you install any haxxies, Preference Panes, Menu bar items?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
If it sits static and is fine, perhaps it's opening in the bag since it is loose. I've had this happen; the magnetic latch opens while in case and closes fairly quickly, the computer initiates an awake and gets confused and it emerges from bag hot to touch.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
If it sits static and is fine, perhaps it's opening in the bag since it is loose. I've had this happen; the magnetic latch opens while in case and closes fairly quickly, the computer initiates an awake and gets confused and it emerges from bag hot to touch.

I'm not sure if that is what it is, because when I lift up my MacBook in my hands (ever so lightly) it'll wake up again. However, how have you dealt with this problem of the magnetic latch opening?

Also, I have not installed any preference panes or menu bar items yet, so that wouldn't be it, I don't believe.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
I'm not sure if that is what it is, because when I lift up my MacBook in my hands (ever so lightly) it'll wake up again. However, how have you dealt with this problem of the magnetic latch opening?

Also, I have not installed any preference panes or menu bar items yet, so that wouldn't be it, I don't believe.

I got a tighter briefcase. Seriously, I went from a MBP to an Air and the Air was flopping around something fierce. After a week of trying to figure it out, I finally saw the light come on when I through my case in a car and noticed that it was open a bit and starting up.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
I got a tighter briefcase. Seriously, I went from a MBP to an Air and the Air was flopping around something fierce. After a week of trying to figure it out, I finally saw the light come on when I through my case in a car and noticed that it was open a bit and starting up.

Wow, I didn't realize the Air had such a flaw! Good thing you figured it out though... it's really mind boggling as to why this sleep function isn't working properly.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
This is a serious flaw. If the hard drive heads are moving around (as opposed to parked) while the machine is slightly bouncing around in your laptop bag/backpack as you walk, it could cause serious damage to the drive. If the platters become scratched, data recovery would be impossible.

Apple needs to fix this immediately. This is very serious.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
This is a serious flaw. If the hard drive heads are moving around (as opposed to parked) while the machine is slightly bouncing around in your laptop bag/backpack as you walk, it could cause serious damage to the drive. If the platters become scratched, data recovery would be impossible.

Apple needs to fix this immediately. This is very serious.

I believe that's what the sudden motion sensor is for.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not sure if that is what it is, because when I lift up my MacBook in my hands (ever so lightly) it'll wake up again.

Could you please clarify. Are you saying that your Al-MB will stay asleep sitting still even for a long time (say overnight), but as soon as it's moved around (with the lid closed), it'll wake up by itself.

If that is true, especially if you can reproduce this problem, contact Apple right away. It's NOT supposed to be like this at all.

I take my Al-MB (and previously my MBA, white MB, 12"PB) between home-work everyday single day for the last 3+ years. I have always just left it sleeping and never once have this problem that you described.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
Could you please clarify. Are you saying that your Al-MB will stay asleep sitting still even for a long time (say overnight), but as soon as it's moved around (with the lid closed), it'll wake up by itself.

If that is true, especially if you can reproduce this problem, contact Apple right away. It's NOT supposed to be like this at all.

I take my Al-MB (and previously my MBA, white MB, 12"PB) between home-work everyday single day for the last 3+ years. I have always just left it sleeping and never once have this problem that you described.

It is exactly as you have stated: my MacBook will stay asleep as long as it is sitting still, and once it is moved (with the lid closed), it will wake up automatically. I will contact Apple asap though.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.