Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claylj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I know that others have this problem as I have seen a reference to it in another post.

When I connect my ipt to my XP computer I get a popup that says "Camera connected" and wants me to select an application to open. This is not so much a problem but an irritation. Does anyone know how to tell XP that this USB devise is an iPod and not a camera?

I have selected the option in iTunes to open when the ipt is connected and this works, but the camera popup window still comes up.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
I have the same problem and likewise I don't know how to correct it. I also have developed another problem (see thread here re: missing music after syncing) that I think started afterwards. The pop up thinking that it is a camera started about a week ago and the erasing of the music when syncing started last night. I wonder if they are connected. I ran the diagnostics in the iTunes and it says that "one or more sync tests failed", but gives no clue as to how to correct the sync. Anyone with ideas about these problems?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
iPhoto would open (in addition to iTunes) when I plugged in my Touch and that really annoyed me. it happened to me because I saved images from safari on the Touch. So...iPhoto was pretty much asking me if i wanted to sync the images from my Touch to my Macbook. Hopefully your situation is the same as mine. The images I saved on my Touch weren't good so i just deleted the pictures and iPhoto doesn't open anymore when I plug it in.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
if you have screenshots/saved photos on your ipod touch then it will do this every time you connect it so you can move the pictures from your ipod to your computer and i don't think there is a way around it except to delete all of your screenshots/saved photos but it is normal so don't worry

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
The original post and mine were concerning XP (and in my case a PC) not a Mac so iPhoto doesn't seem to be the issue. Further, other than saving photos from the computer to the iPod touch (which still is working fine) I haven't any screenshots or other photos saved on the unit. Any other thoughts out there?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I connect my 2nd gen touch at work on my XP laptop just to charge, I don't have iTunes installed at all, I get the pop up the original poster is referring to, but not when at home with my Vista pc. I do have photos on the device.

It would almost seem as though the iTunes install is possibly corrupted or similar? The only time I have ever seen the popup is on my XP machine where itunes is not installed.

Claylj, did you by ance chance copy iTunes or something to the current location from another part of the hard drive? Sounds like an uninstall/reinstall might be what you need.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I know that for flash drives and other USB devices it initially asks what you want to do with the device. When charging my touch at work I first chose "ignore" and clicked on "remember this choice". Never came up again.

Do you remember seeing a window like that?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Strange, this happens on my Vista computer, I'm not sure if it happened on my XP.
And it happened on my school's Vista.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
I thought maybe it was an iTunes problem so I downloaded the latest version and did the restore of that. The problem of the "camera" still persisted! So unless there is a bug in the latest iTunes this is not the cause. Also I still have the problem with music syncing. As long as I leave the "sync only checked...." box unchecked it will sync all the checked playlists, however if I check it before a sync it will wipe out all the music from the iPod touch. This is just the opposite of what it is supposed to do. Any suggestions?

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
I thought maybe it was an iTunes problem so I downloaded the latest version and did the restore of that. The problem of the "camera" still persisted! So unless there is a bug in the latest iTunes this is not the cause. Also I still have the problem with music syncing. As long as I leave the "sync only checked...." box unchecked it will sync all the checked playlists, however if I check it before a sync it will wipe out all the music from the iPod touch. This is just the opposite of what it is supposed to do. Any suggestions?

You need to remove all iTunes and iPod software from your PC COMPLETELY. Reboot and download and re-install and it should cure your problem with iTunes. It did for me.

As for XP thinking its a camera, it is usually when you have saved images or screenshots and it wants to 'save' them for you. But with you not having any images saved, it may be a problem with your iTunes installation.

Edit:
When you restored your iPod did you use an existing back up to recreate the iPod?

If you did, you will just be putting the problem back onto your iPod. I had to restore my son's touch and used an existing back up and the problem he had persisted. When I created a new iPod instead of using a back up, the problem disappeared.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
Thanks for this information. I really do think you are correct. It is interesting that this has happened to others also. Wonder what is the cause.
I guess I will have to remove iTunes and the iPod software from the computer. Regarding this: where is the iPod software located to remove, ? in programs or elsewhere?
Further, I did not set the iPod up as a "new one" after the restore and this may well be where the problem is. I think I will first do a restore on the iPod and set it up as a "new" and see if that corrects the sync problem. The "camera" issue seems to be just a nuisance but it is new and unexplained at present. Interestingly it does label it as "iPod" when the menu comes on the screen. Thanks, hopefully I can report success.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
iPhoto would open (in addition to iTunes) when I plugged in my Touch and that really annoyed me. it happened to me because I saved images from safari on the Touch. So...iPhoto was pretty much asking me if i wanted to sync the images from my Touch to my Macbook. Hopefully your situation is the same as mine. The images I saved on my Touch weren't good so i just deleted the pictures and iPhoto doesn't open anymore when I plug it in.

It asks you that because when you first opened iPhoto, you said you wanted it to open when you connected a "Camera."

I thinks it's a Camera because it uses the iPhone OS and carries pictures.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
What would be the explanation for it happening on my PC running XP. It didn't do this originally, but started about 2 weeks ago. Would it still try to download pictures from the iPod touch. I did save "backgrounds" app and this may be what it is trying to download to PC.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It does it for me daily on my work PC running XP. It's annoying, but it's not a problem. I think XP sees it as a mass storage device and assumes it is a camera. Unfortunately we have to click the "do nothing" button each time, but again, I wouldn't say this was a problem so much as an annoyance.

Know that the iPod Touch and iPhone (which does it as well) doesn't allow you to mount it as a hard drive like the HDD iPods do. I am guessing it is a mix between Apple's restriction and Window's misunderstanding.

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
Has anyone actually chosen one of the options to download? And if so what happens?

You choose an option then iTunes transfers your saved pictures or screenshots into your chosen application. You can then save them wherever you want on your hard drive.

I chose to open in Photoshop then saved the ones I wanted to keep into "My Pictures" and synced them back onto my touch.

After that I didn't get the dialogue box as I didn't have anything in "Saved Pictures".

claylj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
After that I didn't get the dialogue box as I didn't have anything in "Saved Pictures".

Having something in "Saved Pictures" is the answer I was looking for. I had some screen shots in there and after I deleted them, the dialog box no longer comes up.

Thanks everyone for the help.:D

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
I had this same problem for like 2 months. It wouldn't let me sync to iTunes bc it thought it was a camera. But I found out the problem was mcfee was blocking it. But I don't know if this is the same case .

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
Thanks Claylj, how did you delete the "saved photos" as I also have some in there and would like to delete them but can't see how to do it?

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
Thanks Claylj, how did you delete the "saved photos" as I also have some in there and would like to delete them but can't see how to do it?

On your touch, open the Photos app and there will be a folder called 'Saved Photos'. Open it, touch the photo you want to delete then touch the wastebasket (trash) icon in the bottom right hand corner, then press 'delete photo' to confirm.

Cest moi

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
All great ideas, but removing all the photos from your ipod is just a workaround really.

Anyone who is having this problem, have you tried plugging in your ipt; wait for the message to come up and press cancel. Now go to 'My Computer' and you should see your ipt listed amongst the drives and folders there.

Right Click on the listing representing your ipt and click properties, go to the tab that says 'events'. Make sure the event in the drop down menu is 'Camera Connected' and then click the 'Take no action' option. Click 'Apply' and this should solve your problem.

I'm using XP but presumably this should work in a similar way for Vista aswell. :)

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Go to Add/Remove Programs and let that uninstall anything with iTunes/iPod in the name. That's how I sorted it.
543.jpg

simple but effective

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.