Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eazkk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
I have a second generation 17" macbook pro and I would like to keep it for another year or so but it's in a right state, there are dents, scratches. Is it possible to have the whole shell replaced including keyboard and to be spruced up e.g. clean the dirt which has gotten into the speakers.

Help appreciated :)

Eazkk123

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercellus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
You could certainly replace the top, bottom, and display assemblies however it will cost you quite a bit.

Eazkk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Do you know how much it will roughly cost? and Would Apple be able to do it?

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Do you know how much it will roughly cost? and Would Apple be able to do it?

To get the entire housing replaced by apple would be considered a tier 2 cosmetic repair. That will probably run you well over $500 (I would say atleast $600). Buying the housing on ebay will probably cost you around $400 if not more.

Bottom line - it will be very expensive and probably not worth your time or money.

Eazkk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
By replacing the whole shell I also mean the casing around the display, is that possible? Would they also include replacing the keyboard and cleaning the inside especially around the speakers?

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
apple doesn't clean things, they replace them. it's too much work to clean something up, unless you can do that yourself, it's going to cost you roughly half that of a new machine to get it done, especially by apple.

the only way to save money would be to buy an as-is broken mbp on ebay or something and steal it's case, or order the case from some place other than apple and do the transplant yourself, otherwise it's going to cost a fortune...

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
By replacing the whole shell I also mean the casing around the display, is that possible? Would they also include replacing the keyboard and cleaning the inside especially around the speakers?

As stated above, apple doesn't clean, they replace. And yes, a tier 2 cosmetic repair can replace the housing around the LCD and the keyboard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.