Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
The screenshot is wonderful for saving info discovered online for later viewing. Thank you for sharing these tips!

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Lots of great useful information there, should be a sticky.:)

There have been a LOT of people saying here this should be a sticky. I do not know if anyone actually PM'd a Mod requesting it, so I just did. I have to figure no one did before because I cannot think of any reason such a request would not be honored for this particular thread.

Mike

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Here's another tip that could possibly be added into your list:

While in Safari and you are zoomed in on a column to read, while you scroll through it, you might accidentally scroll from left to right, obscuring some of the text. To avoid this, simply scroll as you would, but keep your finger on the very edge of the screen. That way, even if your finger moves to the left and right, the screen will only scroll up and down. This works in landscape mode as well.

Here's a video to clarify and demonstrate what I said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPsJ1lwuCPI

Added :)

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Great post, someone make it a sticky. Just found out that single-tapping the gray clock/battery bar at the top of the iPod will super-scroll you to the top of the web page when you're in Safari. That's probably in the manual or something, but I didn't read it :eek:

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
On the home screen, tap the screen on the left or right of the little grey dots just above the dock to go to a different home 'space'. This is slightly less effort than swiping.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
It there a way to change the .com keyboard button on iphone/ipod touch safari? Most of the site I'd visit are .co.uk, so would prefer to change it.

I've not had a chance to investigate it much as my iPod Touch has been wrapped up for Christmas.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
It there a way to change the .com keyboard button on iphone/ipod touch safari? Most of the site I'd visit are .co.uk, so would prefer to change it.

I've not had a chance to investigate it much as my iPod Touch has been wrapped up for Christmas.

in settings i no if you change the keyboard to italian it becomes .co.it so i would asume british maybe would be .co.uk

Edit: just looked, and its English (UK) has the co.uk

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I've just updated the first post with some extra FAQ questions and a list of differences between the 1st and 2nd generations.

If I've missed anything feel free to tell me :)

sjleworthy said:
how about the screen shot tip? press the home and on/off buttons together. the screen will flash white indicating screenie taken

(view in photos)

It's been under the 2.0-only section for several months now ;)

Karver

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
awesome thread. I learned more in a few minutes reading here than in the past 2 weeks I had my ipod.

I can;t seem to figure out: how do I select from the list of suggested words when typing in notes and other places? currently, I press 'return', but that also changes the line..

please help!

Thanks!

mahoneyjoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
space bar will insert the suggested word; I think exclaimation mark will do it in the numeric keyboard.

alg123

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
first gen internal speaker

First - I love your info.

Is there any kind of an internal speaker on a first gen Touch? If so, are there apps to use the speaker for playing music, simulating ring tones etc?

Thanks.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
First - I love your info.

Is there any kind of an internal speaker on a first gen Touch? If so, are there apps to use the speaker for playing music, simulating ring tones etc?

Thanks.

Nope. The first gen only has a transducer - a device that can only play a range of beeps and sound effects, it cannot be used as a speaker to play back music and even if it could it'd be nowhere near the quality of the speaker of the 2nd gen (even though that's rather crappy quality in itself).

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Set up the international keyboard to the preferred setting. Hold your finger on the .com button and the menu appears.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Is there any way to delete music and photos directly without connecting to a computer?

The only audio you can delete is podcasts, by swiping your finger across a certain title to reveal a "delete" button; this isn't available for standard music tracks.
Also, IIRC the only pictures you can delete on the iPod without connecting to a computer are screenshots or images saved from Safari or other applications.

tigermurphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Data Storage?

Hi. I have been searching for this info and can't seem to find it. Can the iPod Touch not be used as a hard drive like previous iPods can? I don't get an icon of the mounted Touch like I do with my older iPods, except for within iTunes. And iTunes doesn't let me transfer non music or movie files. Am I missing something here??? It seems crazy that I can't store files on the damn thing.

Thanks for any insight you can share.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
On the now playing screen if you're reading lyrics you can tap the top bar to get back to the top of the lyrics, similar to tapping in a safari screen

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Hi. I have been searching for this info and can't seem to find it. Can the iPod Touch not be used as a hard drive like previous iPods can? I don't get an icon of the mounted Touch like I do with my older iPods, except for within iTunes. And iTunes doesn't let me transfer non music or movie files. Am I missing something here??? It seems crazy that I can't store files on the damn thing.

Thanks for any insight you can share.

Not easily. You have to download an app to do it. BriefcaseLite and Discover are 2 that were free when I got them. They work differently so you might want to try each one. I prefer BriefcaseLite but I still have the other one, too.

tigermurphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Not easily. You have to download an app to do it. BriefcaseLite and Discover are 2 that were free when I got them. They work differently so you might want to try each one. I prefer BriefcaseLite but I still have the other one, too.

Ah, thank you for the response. That seems like such a weird omission on Apple's part. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the lack of native support for data storage. Or maybe they did when it first came out? I guess I'm a little late to the party.

iTracz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
On the now playing screen if you're reading lyrics you can tap the top bar to get back to the top of the lyrics, similar to tapping in a safari screen

How do you read lyrics? Sorry I am new to the whole Ipod thing.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
-DELETE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS/UNDO DELETE – While holding the delete button, slide your finger left to delete multiple characters. If you delete too many, drag your finger the other way to undo.

I'm running on Firmware version 2.2.1 and can't get this to work at all:confused:

Thanks,

Ams.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I'm running on Firmware version 2.2.1 and can't get this to work at all:confused:

Thanks,

Ams.

Same here.. doesn't work on my second G Touch v 2.2.1
Maybe they took it out? I have really never heard of this feature... so i'm a little doubtful if it ever worked- but i'll take your word for it :)

Sysbase

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Same here.. doesn't work on my second G Touch v 2.2.1
Maybe they took it out? I have really never heard of this feature... so i'm a little doubtful if it ever worked- but i'll take your word for it :)

I think you need to hold tight on this for a second something lots of problems with this one. Should be updated soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.