Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pickleman77

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
My Mac partition got messed up... starts with the Apple logo which changes to a sort of "do not enter" circle with a line through it. The partition was running Leopard, and I had a recommendation to run Disk Warrior on it. I booted up from the CD which I borrowed from a friend, and began repairing the disk. It's been running for a few days now... It's saying "Speed reduced by disk malfunction: 12,263" so far, and is still growing. I read earlier that if the mouse can still move, which it can, and if the number keeps growing, which it does, it means the app is still hard at work. However, I've left it running for about 3 days now, and the number is still rising. Will it ever come to a stop and actually work to fix my HD?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
My Mac partition got messed up... starts with the Apple logo which changes to a sort of "do not enter" circle with a line through it. The partition was running Leopard, and I had a recommendation to run Disk Warrior on it. ...
You are using the wrong tool. Disk Warrior is not a disk repair utility. It is a file recovery utility that works by repairing directories (folders). You should have booted your System Repair disk and run Disk Utility from the CD. If you have AppleCare, then you chould have run TechTools Deluxe.

It sounds like you also have a Windows partition. Do you? Does it still work? If so, then you should be able to repair your Mac partition--or reformat it in the worse case.

Pickleman77

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
You are using the wrong tool. Disk Warrior is not a disk repair utility. It is a file recovery utility that works by repairing directories (folders). You should have booted your System Repair disk and run Disk Utility from the CD. If you have AppleCare, then you chould have run TechTools Deluxe.

It sounds like you also have a Windows partition. Do you? Does it still work? If so, then you should be able to repair your Mac partition--or reformat it in the worse case.

I do have TechTools Deluxe, but it doesn't seem to be bootable. Also, yes, my Windows partition is still up and running. I stopped DiskWarrior already... should I try my Leopard install disk next?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I do have TechTools Deluxe, but it doesn't seem to be bootable. Also, yes, my Windows partition is still up and running. I stopped DiskWarrior already... should I try my Leopard install disk next?

Just a thought here- I would be more inclined to think, with your "speed reduced..." message (not to mention 4 days for a job that should take at MOST 30 mins. or so) that the HD itself has had a head crash and that DW was trying to reassign data from damaged sectors to sectors still good on your drive.

Is your drive making any unusual sounds (buzzing, scratching, etc.)? If so, you can pretty much assume that the drive is trashed and about all you could do with that is to try to use Data Rescue II to save some of the files to another (external or internal depending on what Mac you have) hard drive, then replace the bad boy. :(

Pickleman77

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
One more thing--- what version of DiskWarrior did you use? Only the latest (4.1 I believe) is compatible with Leopard.

A couple of things... First of all, my notebook made absolutely no strange sounds during that process. If it did, I would have assumed something is wrong. Also, I did use version 4.1. I'm going to try using the Leopard disk utility in the install disk now...

UPDATE: So now the Leopard disk is saying that there's some sort of fatal disk error. Time to take it to an apple store and lose my data and everything. I don't really have anything that's all that important, so I'm not too bummed... The worst part- someone on the AppleCare support line TOLD me to try diskwarrior to fix my problem. Thanks a lot AppleCare... =/

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Time to take it to an apple store and lose my data and everything. ...
Not all all. For minor disk failures, the technician can use DiskWarrior to recover your data. For serious failures, he may send it out to a recovery service. Disk recovery services cost an arm and leg. The question is which do you need more, your arm and leg or your data?

Pickleman77

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Not all all. For minor disk failures, the technician can use DiskWarrior to recover your data. For serious failures, he may send it out to a recovery service. Disk recovery services cost an arm and leg. The question is which do you need more, your arm and leg or your data?

Heh, back to DiskWarrior to fix what it destroyed... If I had to send it away to get my data recovered, I wouldn't. I don't have anything really irreplaceable at all, so if worse comes to worst, I'll just get a new hard drive or something. No biggie.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
MisterMe is misinformed - Apple doesn't have a site license for using Diskwarrior on the public's machines so officially wouldn't run Diskwarrior for you to recover data. And I have to add that the Applecare agent who recommended Diskwarrior did have your best interests at heart. It, and DataRescue II are certainly the best tools for dealing with the situation Pickleman77 was facing.

KVH

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Wi
Let Diskwarrior do its thing. I had to do the same thing to my mom's Mac Mini. At start up got the folder with line through it. Disc Utilities could not fix the problem. Used disk Warrior to recover most if not all files. It did take about a day to finish.

Her HD did not make a noise either. Replaced it with a 320GB drive.

philwmacman

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
'Speed reduced by disk malfunction: (number)'

Been a while since this has been updated but this is worth a mention for any of you suffering with a dead drive. I'm sure we've all heard the click click of a drive which has died. In the past I'd have just binned it and told the user that the only way to recover data was to throw lots of money at it.

So I had a dead 60G ide drive which I installed in place of the dvd in a G5 with 160G and started DW4. Very soon I started to get the malfunction message, but thanks to this thread I let it run. Nearly 5 days later with the error count up to 23,000, it completed. Obviously the repair couldn't be completed but preview mounted what it had found, and I got all the user data back.

Thanks to the person who said that if DW was still running, then it was working.

DW has been my saviour for over 10 years now. Whoever created it - you're a genius.

Dolci1997

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Waiting Record Breaker

Been a while since this has been updated but this is worth a mention for any of you suffering with a dead drive. I'm sure we've all heard the click click of a drive which has died. In the past I'd have just binned it and told the user that the only way to recover data was to throw lots of money at it.

So I had a dead 60G ide drive which I installed in place of the dvd in a G5 with 160G and started DW4. Very soon I started to get the malfunction message, but thanks to this thread I let it run. Nearly 5 days later with the error count up to 23,000, it completed. Obviously the repair couldn't be completed but preview mounted what it had found, and I got all the user data back.

Thanks to the person who said that if DW was still running, then it was working.

DW has been my saviour for over 10 years now. Whoever created it - you're a genius.

So, I'm using DiskWarrier 4 to recover lost data on my WD Elements 2TB external drive. The drive slowly died on me and is making no strange sounds what-so-ever and does not mount on the desktop. I've tried it with another mac, tried about everything you can think of without taking it apart and am resorting to DiskWarrier to recover the data.
I have received the malfunction message as well, and seemed to have broken all records in waiting for it to finish. It's been running for 7 days now, and my error count it up to 37,577 currently. I really wish it would end as with every passing day I fear my 9 month old knocking the plug out of the wall to the hard drive and me having to start over.
I know the website says to let it do it's thing and let it run... but it also says it should take 2 days max.... I feel like this is going to be going a month. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.