Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
whats the best program that converts video files to DVD files?

thanks

1visitor

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
ConvertXtoDvd seems to be one of those gems that don't have a Mac equivalent, along with WinAmp, Audition, BSplayer, KMplayer, ACDsee, uTorrent, and a few others.
There are equivalents, but not quite as good.
Like there are Mac gems which have no match on the Windows side either.

eduo

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
Mexico
ConvertXtoDvd seems to be one of those gems that don't have a Mac equivalent, along with WinAmp, Audition, BSplayer, KMplayer, ACDsee, uTorrent, and a few others.
There are equivalents, but not quite as good.
Like there are Mac gems which have no match on the Windows side either.

This is exactly the case (even if I don't agree with all your "gems", the argument is still 100% valid).

One of the reasons might be the "not invented here" syndrome. In the same way Linux and Windows will swipe everything they can from anywhere they can in Mac we seem to cherish only coming up with original and different stuff. This usually means we get a lot of Cool software unavailable (at the beginning) in other platforms but we do lose a lot of potential exceptional tools.

The problem is compounded with people replying with existing software that does not do the same as what's being asked for without explaining this is the case. It's like "yeah, you're asking for A, but this can do B and then this other can do C and you can end up with D by doing more work and using more, probably commercial, programs, but you should be using D anyway as A is crap".

I wish I was more proficient in Cocoa (I only do RealBasic, really). ConvertXToDvd doesn't really look to be that hard to do. It's a concatenation of existing tools anyway.

1visitor

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks, Eduo. Your constructive reasoning is the kind of thing that I wish were dominant in discussions about different OSs and software. Enough of this "mine's awesome, yours sucks". The truth is there are different ways of accomplishing most tasks while some specific tasks can only be done in one way, and some work better for some people than for others.
Coming from a Windows background, and having been on a Mac for almost a year, I can definitely confirm strengths on both sides.

Please share any criticism that you might have regarding my little "gems" list, I'd like to know a different point of view.

ConvertXToDvd doesn't really look to be that hard to do. It's a concatenation of existing tools anyway.

Have you ever thought of attemting to recreate it for the Mac ? It would be a blast of success, I'm sure.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Toast is slower use convertxtodvd

Toast takes forever to convert videos to DVD to play on DVD players. ConvertXToDvd works 10x faster.

joseprofet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
convertxtodvd for mac

What i like about VSO convertx is how you are able to add the subtitle tracks that sometimes are included but separate from the main video file.

I have still not found an alternative to it :mad:

ajvas1

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Using ConvertXDVD 4 with Windows installed on Octa-core Intel MAC

To add insult to injury, I have installed Windows XP SP3 on a separate drive using bootcamp on my Intel Octa-core Tower. It installs great & everything seems fine....settings look good. Burner recognized, all systems go, right? Well as soon as you press the "Convert" button, an immediate error comes up.
The log is of almost no help. I now have Windows-7 64-bit using bootcamp along with Snow Leopard on a physically different drive (I'm a video editor and use Final Cut 7/After Effects CS5.5 99% of the time). Even as a professional, I recognize the superiority of this product (if setup right) in speed and quality when certain DVD-related demands are put upon me. We have the same problem with Windows 7 x64 Bootcamp as before with ConvertX4.

VSO 'support' says "screw you buddy, we don't support our product when its being run through Bootcamp". So needless to say, I am yelling "WTF" :mad: at the top of my lungs here. Can we attach photos here? I'll try and post the error log etc if I can. Later fellas...I mean we know a superior product when we see one, right? :rolleyes: The main problem probably lies in the fact that no matter what format I put in there, the log says "The ???? video stream is not supported by internal encoder, I will use an external encoder"

CONVERTX4 Error Log :
ConvertXLog.jpg

MY MAC Intel Stats Running Win7:
Win7_IntelMac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
What I have done which works, but of course costs some $$ is bought Parallels installed Windows 7 and used ConvertXtoDVD successfully no problem.

Engage80

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
To add insult to injury, I have installed Windows XP SP3 on a separate drive using bootcamp on my Intel Octa-core Tower. It installs great & everything seems fine....settings look good. Burner recognized, all systems go, right? Well as soon as you press the "Convert" button, an immediate error comes up.
The log is of almost no help. I now have Windows-7 64-bit using bootcamp along with Snow Leopard on a physically different drive (I'm a video editor and use Final Cut 7/After Effects CS5.5 99% of the time). Even as a professional, I recognize the superiority of this product (if setup right) in speed and quality when certain DVD-related demands are put upon me. We have the same problem with Windows 7 x64 Bootcamp as before with ConvertX4.

VSO 'support' says "screw you buddy, we don't support our product when its being run through Bootcamp". So needless to say, I am yelling "WTF" :mad: at the top of my lungs here. Can we attach photos here? I'll try and post the error log etc if I can. Later fellas...I mean we know a superior product when we see one, right? :rolleyes: The main problem probably lies in the fact that no matter what format I put in there, the log says "The ???? video stream is not supported by internal encoder, I will use an external encoder"

CONVERTX4 Error Log :
ConvertXLog.jpg

Win7_IntelMac.jpg

I had this same thing happening to me until I figured out that I was just drag/dropping the movies to be converted right from my external hd into convertxtodvd menu. Once I actually dragged the file onto the windows desktop and then from there onto the convertxtodvd menu it worked perfectly with no log error. Don't know if this was your issue but I was getting the same errors so it may be.

Dinky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Since a few days I have been using ConvertXDVD in Windows XP running under VMWare Fusion. It works like a dream and is worth every cent of the €40,-

dustymar

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013

CONVERTX4 Error Log :
ConvertXLog.jpg

Win7_IntelMac.jpg
It does work i have been using it now for bout 3weeks no problem.. you have to put the files on to your windows desktop before you want to convert and burn to dvd..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.