Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does DRM bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
To be quite honest i really dont get on with it

I just had that feeling of having a protection on the music we buy. I kind of feel like im renting it in a way when im buying off iTunes.

What do you guys think about DRM?

do you think iTunes will EVER be rid of DRM?

ML:apple:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
DRM is only a bother to legal users, pirates will always crack it.
DRM provides a challenge for people to crack.
CD's represent a lot of music sales, all DRM free, why put DRM on online music.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
DRM is yet another item in an decades-long string of idiot decisions by the music industry. How any of these companies are still in bussiness is nothing short of a miracle. I have stopped buying DRM'd music. The only thing it stops is fair use, pirates break it effortlessly. Of course, maybe that is the idea. I just buy CDs and iTunes Plus now.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I understand why it exists, but from a user's standpoint I think it's one of the most irritating and counterproductive things known to man.

For example, I wanted to watch an episode of The Simpsons on my wife's MBP, which was purchased in the US, otherwise known as Region 1 in the DVD industry. The Simpsons box set, however, was purchased in Germany (aka Region 2).

I wasn't about to start eating into her allotted region-switches on the internal DVD player and VLC couldn't read the DVD for some reason. So I went on BitTorrent and downloaded the episode in about ten minutes.

A common example of a legitimate, authorized user who was frustrated and thwarted by DRM and instead turned to back-alley channels as a solution.

I've made one music purchase from the iTunes store to avoid the very same situation. iTunes Plus is a step in the right direction, but 256kbps is still too lossy for my tastes.

As someone above mentioned, DRM doesn't stop piracy (though it might delay it a day or two), it only nags and impedes legitimate users.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I understand why it exists, but from a user's standpoint I think it's one of the most irritating and counterproductive things known to man.

For example, I wanted to watch an episode of The Simpsons on my wife's MBP, which was purchased in the US, otherwise known as Region 1 in the DVD industry. The Simpsons box set, however, was purchased in Germany (aka Region 2).

I wasn't about to start eating into her allotted region-switches on the internal DVD player and VLC couldn't read the DVD for some reason. So I went on BitTorrent and downloaded the episode in about ten minutes.

A common example of a legitimate, authorized user who was frustrated and thwarted by DRM and instead turned to back-alley channels as a solution.

I've made one music purchase from the iTunes store to avoid the very same situation. iTunes Plus is a step in the right direction, but 256kbps is still too lossy for my tastes.

As someone above mentioned, DRM doesn't stop piracy (though it might delay it a day or two), it only nags and impedes legitimate users.

Agreed. I can't stand it. I mean i do understand why these companies do it.

But like you said its still not stopping piracy. I believe in buying music and i dont like getting it free, always been the same.

I'm sure it will all change soon

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
DRM is a stupid attempt by movie, tv and music studios to keep piracy from happening. The problem is the people who do most of the pirating are the first to break any DRM, so you're basically just inconveniencing consumers.

Does anybody have a problem ripping most DVDs to their computer for use in iTunes? Not likely on here. If enough people want something, it WILL happen. If you want to stop piracy, prosecute the people who actually do it. Don't pull some Minority Report deal where you punish everybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.