Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey,

I have a 12" Powerbook g4 1.5Ghz and it has the stock 80GB HD. I really want a bigger one, what is the largest I can put in it? Also, which drive do you recommend? I was hoping a 250GB? I don't want to do it if I can only do like a 120GB. Has anyone done like a 320GB? Thanks

Kaupa

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Germany
As I have just bought me a 12" PB too, this question does also interest me. There are some adapters from ata to s-ata, would it be possible to get one in there to install a 7200 sata drive? or is the space in there too tight?

emt377

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Is this a really tough job? Thanks
I swapped the drive in my PB G4 15" a few years back and the only tricky part was getting the top back on properly. If I remember correctly it had a what looked like a shielding flange around the edge, which had to be carefully aligned or it wouldn't fit.

If you're reasonably handy the PB G4 should be a breeze though. Just give yourself plenty of time so you don't feel a need to rush.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I did this replacement on a 1.33 12" a few months ago. Not difficult at all, just be very meticulous (as others have said). I had the ifixit manual open on another computer in front of me. Each step's screws came out and got taped to a post-it note labeled with the step number and then put in chronological order on the desk next to me. Just reversed the post-its putting it back together and it was a breeze. Took about an hour start to finish.

moleary77

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
start up?

Does anything need to be done to the drive before replacing? Format/copy old content etc. how does that work. Is it able to start up with the new drive?

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Does anything need to be done to the drive before replacing? Format/copy old content etc. how does that work. Is it able to start up with the new drive?
boot from your install dvd and format the drive using disk utility before installing OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.