Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I am hesitant to get iPhone coz I need a voice/conversation recorder. Don't think iPhone has that feature. Is there a 3rd Party software i can use instead?

It's so handy to record conversation while driving or when you have not pen and paper handy.

horation

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
From my research, nothing yet. I would like the voice recorder function as well for this device. If enough ppl speak up about it, it seems to have the needed functionality, just not the software yet. Maybe in a patch or in the next version of iPhone.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
There is a 3rd party app called VNotes that I have running natively on my iPhone in case you're interested. It's just press, record, name, save and it works great.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to quote Horation. VNotes records through the mic (not sure about the headphone mic). It nay work to record calls if you put it on speaker.

chang91602

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
I can not find VNotes Iphone App anywhere...

There is a 3rd party app called VNotes that I have running natively on my iPhone in case you're interested. It's just press, record, name, save and it works great.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to quote Horation. VNotes records through the mic (not sure about the headphone mic). It nay work to record calls if you put it on speaker.

Hey Buddy! Could you please check your Iphone and repost the correct name of the 3rd party App that you are referring to in your posting?
Thanks so much!!! :)

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
I am hesitant to get iPhone coz I need a voice/conversation recorder. Don't think iPhone has that feature. Is there a 3rd Party software i can use instead?

It's so handy to record conversation while driving or when you have not pen and paper handy.

I've got iTalk Recorder from Griffin Technology (free app), which records through the microphone on the iPhone. I've used it in my (fairly noisy) car at 70mph and it works well. It also has a handy Mac/PC add-on which allows you to transfer the recordings fairly easily to your computer. I'd recommend it - especially as it costs nothing to try!

Tiptopp

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I'm assuming Vnotes is Voice Notes. I've used it, and the iTalk Recorder mentioned above, and the iTallk Recorder is much better for many different reasons I'm too lazy to list (although one is the ability to transfer your recordings to your computer in aiff format). Neither records phone conversations.

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Voice recorder

A small apps you may care to look at is Notes2Self.

You can record a note and then forward it to yourself or whoever an an email.

It is very cool.

Maybe it will help.

Xerxers

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
You cant// running a recorder while running the phone apps means that ONE app or the other will be running "in the background" which means it is not possible - unless apple puts out their OWN recorder.

ChocoboNL

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
You cant// running a recorder while running the phone apps means that ONE app or the other will be running "in the background" which means it is not possible - unless apple puts out their OWN recorder.

But while you're calling you can press homeand go to, say, contacts and still be on the phone with the person in question, right? You get that green bar in top of your screen (instead of your normal status bar?)

But while you're calling you can press homeand go to, say, contacts and still be on the phone with the person in question, right? You get that green bar in top of your screen (instead of your normal status bar?)

Umm.. I haven't attempted to run any app store apps (the ones that come with the iphone like contacts work fine), but my assumption would be that they would not open.

As was stated, currently, in accordance with the SDK, a 3rd party app canNOT run in the background. Perhaps, opening an app while on a convo could work if the phone call was considered being "in the background" while the 3rd party app would allow access. (much like listening to music and opening an app. I know that works for scratch). So technically it might be feasible. (Yes, I know at first I said it wouldn't, but now I'm not so sure! haha)

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Here's a free recorder straight from the App store. Works great and you can put your iPhone to sleep and it will continue to record! It's exactly what I've been waiting for. Click Here BUT it I'm not sure if it will run while you are on the phone. Worth a try... Doubt it though. The phone app overrides the App use of the Mic input.

ParishYoung

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Bristol, South West UK
Recording a conversation with another party via phone call would be hugely benficial for me.

Coincidentally I was trying to find an app to do this earlier today as I wish to record my AnswerPhone calls. My carrier deletes them automatically after 7 days whether you've listened to them or not and I would like to keep them for longer than this.

I do have the option to save them in the AnswerPhone service itself, but even then they only save for 14 days.

Quite annoying.

I have read that Apple does not allow this as part of the SDK. I did try iTalk from the App Store, but this didn't seem to work, and it was quite a fiddly process.

I'll try again and report back though.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Recording phone calls isn't possible on the iPhone because I think the phone app is off-limits in the SDK. As someone else said, it would also require 2 apps running at once, which doesn't happen with third-party stuff. This is something that Apple would have to create.

There are also laws in some states that don't allow wiretapping, but it varies from state to state. So even if there was an app, check your state laws.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
hitting back and using the contacts is one thing.. those are native apps built by apple.. A dev can not create an app that runs while another app is running.. so no developer can create a recorder that will work while the phone app is working.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
To clarify, it is possible to begin a phone call then switch and run another app (I've done it). The new SDK gives audio input abilities, which means with the new SDK recording conversations may be possible.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Recording phone calls isn't possible on the iPhone because I think the phone app is off-limits in the SDK. As someone else said, it would also require 2 apps running at once, which doesn't happen with third-party stuff. This is something that Apple would have to create.

There are also laws in some states that don't allow wiretapping, but it varies from state to state. So even if there was an app, check your state laws.

I'm no legal expert but in the UK when you phone a company they all have disclaimers saying that conversations may be recorded. something to do with Data Protection act.

I'm not sure I would be too chuffed if someone recorded a conversation I had with them - not that I say anything dodgy like ;)

Its Trish

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
I've got iTalk Recorder from Griffin Technology (free app),
which records through the microphone on the iPhone.

For those seeking a solution that will work now, here's a suggestion.
You should be able to (in theory) record a phone conversation
by wiring a tape recorder to your iPhone's mic/aux jack.

1. The Apple Store (here in San Diego) sells a mic/earbuds set
    that splits out an extra audio jack.

2. Attach an audio cable with 3.5mm stereo plugs (like this or this)
    from that split-out jack, to the mic/auxillary input jack of a tape recorder.

3. Of course, you'll need to have your phone conversation
    via the mic/earbuds, rather than using the phone as a handset.
The above setup should work... if someone can rig this up
then report back here on your success, that would be wonderful.

trish : - )

PS.....
Instead of using that special mic/headphone wire with the split-out jack,
this should work instead: Pick up a DLO brand splitter,
and plug your existing mic/headphone wire into side A of the splitter,
then attach your tape recorder (via audio cable with 3.5mm jacks) into side B.

EDIT:
Worth a mention: The guy at the iPhone store told me that when connecting
to your iPhone's jack (female), make sure that the plug (male) has 3 bands
if you want headphone + mic. [the DLO brand splitter mentioned above has 3 bands]
If all you want is headphone, then a 2-band plug should work.
[the cable connecting to your tape recorder only requires 2-band plugs]

Its Trish

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
Here's an idea that is definitely worth investigating.
Recording phone conversations using your iPhone, a free recording app,
and a tiny wire loop that you insert into your iPhone's jack.

This is only a THEORY, not a how-to.

1. Jerry-rigg a special wire that plugs into your iPhone's jack.

You can use your existing mic/earbuds wire for this.
    This wire should be a "loop"
    in that what comes out of the earbuds, feeds back into the mic wire.
    You can acoustically couple the earbuds to the mic
    (by attaching them together with a rubber band)
    or you can physically "wire" them together.
    [Warning, modding your mic/earbuds wire may cause your iPhone
    to break out into flames, blow up, or become a brick,
    ....so don't actually try doing it]

2. Make phone call

3. Press HOME button

4. Start a Recording app that records from the iPhone's mic jack.
    (the apps mentioned above include Voice Notes and iTalk Recorder)
If the above could somehow work, that would be awesome.
Recording phone conversations would require nothing more
than a free recording app, and a tiny wire loop that you
insert into your iPhone's jack.

Like I mentioned at the top, this is just theoretical,
and I have no idea whether it would actually work.
Off the top of my head I could think of a few issues that may occur:
(a) your jerry-rigged wire (with earbuds looped back to the mic)
might cause audio feedback. (you know like when you're on stage
and you put the mic too close to the speaker, causing that LOUD
feedback sound that makes everyone in the room instantly hate you).

(b) Another issue might be delay echo on the recording
and/or a delay echo heard by both parties of the conversation.
(c) Yet another issue might be some sort of software or resource conflict.
(d) And yet another issue might be the Feds. (so be sure to announce
to all parties that the conversation is being recorded, and consult
your attorney beforehand:)

trish : - )

culturerover

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
DLO Splitter question...

I am a journalist who records phone interviews with full legal consent of the interviewee.

I have tried the DLO Splitter with the Iphone. Thanks for that amazing suggestion above!. It all almost works, with one hiccup that I'll explain below. Anyone have any hunches why it isn't working perfectly?

Here's my set up:
Iphone jack to DLO Splitter
DLO Splitter microphone capatible (3 pronged) jack to earbuds with microphone.
DLO second jack (2 pronged) to Zoom recorder.

It almost seems to work, but here's the catch: I get a great recording of the person I'm speaking to, but -- alas! -- my own voice is very faint on the recording. It's there, getting picked up, but at a much lower level.

Any guesses audio experts as to why this is? When I use the earbuds microphone straight into my Zoom recorder, it records fine, so I know the microphone works. But when I do the whole set up, the level on it is not the same as the person on the other end of the phone, as I explained above. It's a mystery to me why -- and how to fix it.

Any guesses as to how to perfect this recording set up?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Michael

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I'm assuming Vnotes is Voice Notes. I've used it, and the iTalk Recorder mentioned above, and the iTallk Recorder is much better for many different reasons I'm too lazy to list (although one is the ability to transfer your recordings to your computer in aiff format). Neither records phone conversations.

This post was made in 2007. Long before the app store. Vnotes must have been a jailbroken app. The OP was referring to voice recording which is easy now but a year ago you had to jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.