Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I had recently purchased my veryyy first macbook and so happy with it ^^ I managed to get Gunbound to work on my own and was shocked no one had even mentioned how to get it to work! I even used Google mind you :) (Shockingly it took me nearly 3-4 hours hahaha because I had to format stuff and mess around until I got the correct drivers)

*My SR Macbook, Low End, 2.0GHz, 2gb ram, and of course the lovely integrated graphics!

*I also didn't know where to post this but since I searched for a gunbound topic it led me to this area if no one minds!

Method 1
Boot Camp + Leopard OS X Disc 1 (drivers are on this one)
(I used DirectX 9.0c but I don't think it matters as long as it's 8.0+)

1) Load up Windows XP
2) GO to Device Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager)
3) Look for anything that has a yellow circle with "!"
4) Right click them and click on "Update Drivers"
5) It will find the missing drivers for you so if it doesn't just right click and repeat for the ones it missed

**The main thing you want to make sure is the Intel Graphics drivers were installed and the audio one.

Boot up Gunbound and BAM no more, "No 3d card or video card...," pop up :p

**Of course I would believe this doesn't limit it to only Gunbound so feel free to try out everything!

Method 2
VMware Fusion 1.1 + 3d Acceleration

Too choppy and laggy (insanely)

Method 3
VMware Fusion 1.1 + Method 1

Was quite sad to see VMware uses their own drivers for the virtualization lol should've figured :)

~~~~~~~~
Overall, Method 1 was the BEST option for the FASTEST gaming experience rofl. I do mean it. Not even laggy a bit and it's quite *chop chop chop*. It even pwned my HP dv6275us which had a Nvidia video card in it and 2gb of ram. Could've been Vista acting on it but yea *hugs* Macbook.

I hope this helped some people that likes some of the iJJi games and couldn't get them to work!

Any questions feel free to ask I'll try my best despite I'm still a nub with the OS.

Smettbo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Hi, I'm having trouble doing what you're suggesting. I have a Macbook Pro running Windows XP on Parallels desktop (I don't believe that makes a difference). When I try to update drivers, it says it can't find the necessary drivers. I am running Leopard OS X. This is basically the same as when I tried it with Tiger. I also have the Leopard Disc in my disc drive (when you say Leopard OS X Disc 1, you are referring to the installation disc, correct?). Is there a specific method I can do to get it to work? Thanks.

mackip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
As I've stated since VMWare and also Parallels uses their own drivers. You will not be able to use the intended drivers needed to play Gunbound. You have to boot through BootCamp. Although if you could wait for their next update, they will have "3d" graphics running.... but that won't be happening any time soon judging at the build we're stuck on :p

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
cannot see anything

hey

i have trouble playing gunbound in XP on macbook
All the drivers are up to date with bootcamp drivers v 2.1

I cannot see the lightning, thor, wind directions, or characters

everything else is fine.

StArBrEaD11

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
hey mac...

hey uhm i got a mac desktop not laptop... well is there a possibility that i can download gunbound in my mac!!!???!!! pls pls pls...i need help... and can u ease those instructions that your posting!!tnx!!!:D:D:D

LordMelkor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I am able to install and start everything just fine, but once in game I lose control of the mouse and keyboard, and have to use the power button to quit/shutdown. :(

I was using method 1 on a similar system to that listed in the first post.

radical1321

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Same exact problem

Hey, I've had the same exact problem...

I start out by starting the game, and my mouse and keyboard stop working completely... this happens on gunbound and soldierfront, so i am guessing its all the ijji games... which stinks. haha.

anyway, i use the power button to get out of the game as well, and the power button quits the game and goes to the desktop, but the keyboard and mouse still don't work after that. Only one time the keyboard and mouse worked after hitting the power button... ( the power button doesn't turn it off because Firefox is up and it asks if i want to "save/quit or end now" or w/e... basically it stops it from shutting down..

if i find anything out i will let you know, and i hope vice versa...its a pain
though i have heard that taking off the windows firewall would work, but it didn't work for me... let me know if it works for you LordMelkor!
please help! :(
thanks

EDIT: oh yeah i forgot, i also have played ijji games previous to this occassion and on this laptop, it was working perfect. the only thing i can think of is maybe ijji had a major update and it is messing with the keyboard/mouse drivers for macs...

~radical1321

LordMelkor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I did a bit more digging, and what seems to be the likely cause is an update of its hacking detection system (a separate programs, that it runs) and that disables the bootcamp keyboard/mouse drivers because apparently those look suspicious.

One way to address this would probably be to report it to the Gunbound creators, or the people who make their protection software, but given the general hostility that these kinds of developers hold towards Apple I highly doubt anything will be done about it.

radical1321

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
that makes sense... .but theres gotta b something we can do....

i found this to be odd.....

I downloaded their newest game on ijji, Lunia. and it works fine with keyboards and mouse... EVERYTHING.... perfect... so does Lunia use different blocking/hacking services than gunbound and soldier front?? - i re-installed gunbound and soldier front, both still don't work...so i agree, it has to be the hacking thing... but i just dont get why lunia works then... hmmmmm.

Tech.Vinny

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Gunbound WON't work in a virtual machine.

My Greetings to all of you!

Unfortunately GunBound or any other application that requires a hardware acceleration to process graphics to run, may not work if you're using a virtual machine to run Windows.

Virtual machines are designed to work in a "virtual" or artificial environment, not allowing drivers to be loaded properly. Certain software, or games will need to have access to the graphics card driver registry in order to run. If you're running a Virtual Machine, it won't find the registry and won't run.

There is an option in VMWare to allow graphics to be shared during the virtual sharing screen, but I tried that with some other games and didn't work. You can try that with GunBound and see if works.

So far, the easiest way is to create a Windows partition so you can boot from the Windows partition, then you install the drivers from the Mac OS CD and you will be able to run GunBound or any other games.

I have NOT seen a virtual machine so far that provides the full performance as in a full run Operating System.

Anyways, updates on this are welcomed! I hope this was helpful, and saved you some time.

LordMelkor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
My Greetings to all of you!

Unfortunately GunBound or any other application that requires a hardware acceleration to process graphics to run, may not work if you're using a virtual machine to run Windows.

Virtual machines are designed to work in a "virtual" or artificial environment, not allowing drivers to be loaded properly. Certain software, or games will need to have access to the graphics card driver registry in order to run. If you're running a Virtual Machine, it won't find the registry and won't run.

There is an option in VMWare to allow graphics to be shared during the virtual sharing screen, but I tried that with some other games and didn't work. You can try that with GunBound and see if works.

So far, the easiest way is to create a Windows partition so you can boot from the Windows partition, then you install the drivers from the Mac OS CD and you will be able to run GunBound or any other games.

I have NOT seen a virtual machine so far that provides the full performance as in a full run Operating System.

Anyways, updates on this are welcomed! I hope this was helpful, and saved you some time.

Unfortunatly the current issue at hand is not even as ambitious as running Gunbound from a VM, rather from Boot Camp, which is the mac lingo for that separate windows partition you were talking about. That is what doesnt work, and results in loss of keyboard control because of the hack protection software.

radical1321

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
exactly my point. I have ran Boot Camp. Like I have stated before. Gunbound, Gunz, and Soldier Front aka. ALL ijji games have worked on my current macbook running bootcamp. Though now, certain games work and certain games do not. This is due to the Hacking Software upgrade. It sees the macbook keyboard (on windows partition running windows xp) as a threat or suspicious. Same for mouse.

Any updates would be awesome! THANKS!

~radical1321

radical1321

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
It Works!

So, short and sweet. I GOT IT TO WORK! woohoo!
Now it may not be the solution to you, but it worked for me. So, I'll share.... I did a little more research now that I am out of school for break, and i found out that the KEYBOARD REMAPPER I had was messing things up. It's a program for the mac keyboard to be remapped to how i wanted it, for like "hot keys" and "shortcuts" or w/e...
GameGuard read it as suspicious because it was "remapping" ...so... yeah....

I unintstalled that and it works now....
I actually ran it on the virtual machine Parallels... People have said that it wasn't able to run at all on Parallels... Soldier Front, Gunbound, and SplashFighters all worked on the virtual machine. Though they were all VERY shaky due to me running it on Parallels....but it is possible. So, now I'll just reboot onto the bootcamp partition and run it there rather than on parallels for a cleaner run of the games. WOOHO!

i hope this helped!!!

~radical1321

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
Gunbound, lol. I don't know why I even started playing that game again. WAY too many hackers/glitchers, nobody plays fair. Forget that game, there are soooo many other worthwhile games out there. TRUST ME...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.