Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Are there any good chemical drawing software out there?

I am a student who is currently studying chemistry courses in the university. For those who are familiar, I am looking for some good softwares which can draw nice chemical structures also to include some of the mechanisms.

Thank you.

praveena.battu

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
Need Chemdraw Help..!!!!

Hi,
I am using MS office 2004 for my MACBOOK.
I need to use chemdraw for my projects. I can use chemdraw very well in my macbook no problem.
But, when I try to edit the chemdraw files structures which I am pasting in word document, Its opening as an image not in chemdraw format.

It is very difficult, when I am using my office PCs

Please any one help...

Nucleophile

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Plano, TX
ChemDraw has had some problems doing that on Mac. They claimed it was fixed with the MS Office 2011 update, but I've had no luck getting it to work either. However, ChemDoodle (a great, cheap chemical drawing program that I highly recommend) is supposed to include such a feature in its 4.0 update.

Hi,
I am using MS office 2004 for my MACBOOK.
I need to use chemdraw for my projects. I can use chemdraw very well in my macbook no problem.
But, when I try to edit the chemdraw files structures which I am pasting in word document, Its opening as an image not in chemdraw format.

It is very difficult, when I am using my office PCs

Please any one help...

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
any free version alternatives?
I do not need very complicated functions.

ChemDraw is free if you're a student. You have to go through your university though to get a free license. Maybe they put it up on their site as well now so def. google that.

Nucleophile

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Plano, TX
Not all universities have a ChemDraw license. What you said is definitely true if the university has a site license, but for ones that don't, the students have to front the cost (which is ~$400 even for a student edition). Lots of universities are switching to ChemDoodle, which is a cheaper, yet just as capable alternative (it can even edit or create .cdx files) that is Mac OS X native (available on Windows and Linux too). Even if your school does not have it, it is only $59 for a student license (relatively cheap).

ChemDraw is free if you're a student. You have to go through your university though to get a free license. Maybe they put it up on their site as well now so def. google that.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Not all universities have a ChemDraw license. What you said is definitely true if the university has a site license, but for ones that don't, the students have to front the cost (which is ~$400 even for a student edition). Lots of universities are switching to ChemDoodle, which is a cheaper, yet just as capable alternative (it can even edit or create .cdx files) that is Mac OS X native (available on Windows and Linux too). Even if your school does not have it, it is only $59 for a student license (relatively cheap).

Ah okay. I was under the impression that they do it through a .edu email address and not a university specific license. Thanks for clearing that up.

mst1026

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Drawing Lewis structure software

SoftChemistry (By MolecularSoft Technology, http://www.molecularsoft.com) has a module to drawing Lewis structure, and has step by step instructions. It's a good tools for general chemistry students.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think.....

a software called XDrawChem can be useful. It is free, but the last version I used requires to install the X Windows System (optative install from a Mac OS X OS Disc):):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.