Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I'm new to mac, recently bought the new aluminum macbook and was wondering if it is more secure to use firefox vs safari. I noticed that scrolling is way more smooth in safari than in firefox and the fact I have more of the page since safari has thinner borders and also the loading thing is right in the address bar. More to it, with the new trackpad i can use the multitouch capabilities that is only built in safari but not firefox.

Could you guys let me know which one is better to use?

Also, I installed Sophos antivirus (which is free for UCLA students) on my mac, is that of any help? or does it catch windows viruses only?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Assuming you are up to date about both, you are fine. Use Firefox and strap on NoScript and FlashBlock if you are paranoid.

Download MultiClutch (Google it) to get 3 finger swipe, zoom, and other gestures into Firefox (It's a preference pane that lets you bind gestures to key combinations for either the whole system, or an individual Cocoa app.

You don't need Mac AntiVirus, there are no Mac viruses. There are a very small number of programs that could be called Mac malware, every single one requires at the very least that you manually launch them. Many even require you to type your password or assign them a firewall port before they can do damage. Just stay smart and don't get social-engineered, and you'll be fine.

gracemac

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
both OK, safari is more safe IMO, but i used to firefox, it doesnot matter if you take care when browse

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
both OK, safari is more safe IMO, but i used to firefox, it doesnot matter if you take care when browse

I think it is just the reverse. Firefox is updated MUCH more than Safari is... Even though WebKit is a community project, Safari isn't. There isn't much outside feedback for Safari. Whereas Firefox is a totally community-based project which allows it faster improvement in the realms of safety, usability and security.

OP: Not to change your mind again, but if you don't make a decision it will drive your own mind crazy. I would just pick one out of a hat and use it. :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Use Safari, Firefox is way too 'jumpy' with uneven scrolling. Safari is safe as long as you don't go poking around the remote corners of the internet. Firefox is like an armored truck. Both has about the same level of security. I'd lean towards Safari, you have less stuff to add (like Multi Clutch for gestures and various add ons) before you use it. Both Firefox and Safari use the phishing database made by Google. Pick something simpler and smoother, ie Safari.

Before other ppl start attacking Safari, I use both. I just happen to like Safari better.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Out-Of-The-Box, they're now both pretty equal since Apple added phishing blocking to Safari. Extensions though make Firefox far, far more secure if you want to go down a potentially overzealous route.

To be truely paranoid about things, never use the default browser for Windows or Mac OS X since exploits for those platforms will be geared to what's there for everyone not what only some people will have.

Also, Apple generally have slow response times for patching vunerabilities...

chris001

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
iSay FireFox- I use Safari when I need more speed though...

really. i use FireFox for the exact opposite reason.
i thought firefox was faster then safari?

OP: it doesn't really matter.but i'm pretty sure you gathered that from all the above posts. i like the way firefox looks over safari..

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
since Apple added phishing blocking to Safari.

im off mac for a while, is this true?

Generally, safari isn't that standing out in terms of security (better than IE of course, but this is a mac environment, so ie isn't in the discussion), Firefox is better on this.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Hey clevin, good to see you. The recent Safari 3.2 (and even more recently 3.2.1) update added a phishing filter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.