Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Thanks that was quick. Where do I find a list of these? I found Edit Special symbols but not the keys required.
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.

OK thanks I will try a Google search.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
OK thanks I will try a Google search.

It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need :p

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need :p

I just installed the keyboard viewer and I can get the symbol and key combos. I also found a text page that I copied and printed. I guess the easy way is setup in preferences International and chose US and then the little flag is in the menu bar. I right click the flag and then chose keyboard viewer. Here is a list of keys and symbols.
http://www.malevolent.com/weblog/archive/2007/03/26/os-x-type-curly-quotes-accents/

and here is how to setup keyboard viewer.
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Select the International preference pane.
3. Click the Input Menu tab.
4. Select the checkbox for Character Palette.
5. Quit System Preferences.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Try this widget out.

CharacterPal is a widget that helps you remember how to type any special character. Just put your mouse over a character, and the key combo appears at the bottom. Now you don't have to remember what Option + Shift + K does.

characterpal_img01.png

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?

Go to Preferences, International, Input Menu, select "Keyboard Viewer" which shows you what characters are available on your keyboard, and "Character Palette", which comes handy for things like Thai or Cherokee letters, and "Show input menu in menu bar" which puts the keyboard and input menu into the menu bar.

You might also go to Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, to have a look at lots of keyboard shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.