Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
When I save any illustration as JPEG, and some of the contents are outside the canvas, there will be white space there.

So far I haven't been able to prevent this. How is this done?

BTW, this is what I was working in. It is the first try I give at making abstract backgrounds. What do you think? Any critique is appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 2,846

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Im not sure if you can do this with previous version of illustrator, Im running CS4 and it is my first creative suite, but in the dialog box when you are setting up the file to export it to a jpeg if you check use artboards then the export will only export the artboards, but if you leave this selection unchecked it will export all the art work.

but as I say artboards are a new feature for CS4 so there may be a different way in previous versions.

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
Which version of CS are you using?
I'm still using CS2, and I know there Illustrator assumes you want to save everything on the page, regardless of whether it's in the margins or not.
Easiest thing for you to do might be to export and then use Photoshop to trim the white edges.
Or else use a clipping mask to make sure nothing runs off the page.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
Im not sure if you can do this with previous version of illustrator, Im running CS4 and it is my first creative suite, but in the dialog box when you are setting up the file to export it to a jpeg if you check use artboards then the export will only export the artboards, but if you leave this selection unchecked it will export all the art work.

but as I say artboards are a new feature for CS4 so there may be a different way in previous versions.

The last few versions of Illustrator have this option with save for web.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I was able to make this by using a Crop Area tool. You need to be careful and select the art-board exactly, but it works.

I have Illustrator CS3.

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
I was able to make this by using a Crop Area tool. You need to be careful and select the art-board exactly, but it works.

You can also make a rectangular box with no fill and no stroke and then use Object > Crop Area > Make, as bntz313 said. This way you can adjust the size and positioning of the area without having to be so careful in drawing it with the Crop Tool. Both ways work just fine, just wanted to expand on that method since you get a little more fine control and you don't have to keep trying until you get it just right.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
Are you doing this in Illustrator? If so and you working on a document under the print setting/format than you don't have to draw a box or anything just go to object and then crop area then make.

gurlseven

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
in CS5...

in CS5 go to Object>Artboards>Fit to Artwork Bounds, then save your jpg or tiff =]

It worked nicely for me.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.