Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonasdalhoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
every time I try to make an outgoing call I get the message call ended and call failed.
I have used the phone for just about a month now and it happened suddently to days ago.

Anyone have a solution to my problem?

I have the 2.2 firmware installed and the phone is not locked. I bought the phone in Italy and currently live in Denmark.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
This would happen to me too. The only thing that sometimes works is to do a hard reset or restore it. If it happens a lot then I would try and get an exchange.

jonasdalhoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I have tried to restore and hard reset several times and nothing works.

I would have bit of an issue with sending the phone back because i bought it in Italy and live in Denmark.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
Because the hard resets and restores don't solve the issue, I would guess that it is a problem with the hardware. Unfortunately, the best solution would probably be to exchange it.

You can try popping out the SIM card and using compressed air to blow out any possible dust. This isn't the best solution, but definitely something you should try. When I went to the Genius bar the guy did that for me. It probably won't do much unless you somehow have a lot of excess dust.

jonasdalhoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
It is strange however that I can recieve calls, send and recieve text messages.

And I have a sub menu under general<telephone called SIM program where i can call a dial service from my carrier.

that is why i was convinced that it was a software failure, but you might be right.

RogerioNT

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem here in Brazil. iPhone 2.2 brand new; Just 1 month of use.
Yesterday the iPhone started "Call Ended" "Call Failed".
I can recieve calls, send and recieve text messages.
Trying to discover how to fix.

If you have news please advise.

Rogerio

degrutze

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
hmmm i get the same problem too....
i just bought new iphone 3g 2.1 from ebay.

it can do receive and sending sms, and also answering incoming call...but i can't make outgoing call... very disappointing me..

any sugestion for this??

Please..... it sad to have a new iphone but i cant use it....

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Try this..

1) Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. Switch off “Set Automatically” and manually select your hometown (the default is Cupertino). If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls. Once done, manually set the date and time, and restart your iPhone. If you want, you can reset the 2 settings to “Set Automatically” again.

2) Next, go to Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID > Switch this to “ON”. Usually with these steps, things should be okay already. If not, you have to turn off “Call Forwarding” and “Call Waiting” as well.

if this works don't thank me, im just the messenger found it on this site.

http://www.alvinpoh.com/cant-call-out-with-the-iphone-fix-to-the-call-failed-problem-with-iphone/

hope it fixes your issues.

degrutze

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Hikkss

Try this..

1) Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. Switch off “Set Automatically” and manually select your hometown (the default is Cupertino). If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls. Once done, manually set the date and time, and restart your iPhone. If you want, you can reset the 2 settings to “Set Automatically” again.

2) Next, go to Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID > Switch this to “ON”. Usually with these steps, things should be okay already. If not, you have to turn off “Call Forwarding” and “Call Waiting” as well.

if this works don't thank me, im just the messenger found it on this site.

http://www.alvinpoh.com/cant-call-out-with-the-iphone-fix-to-the-call-failed-problem-with-iphone/

hope it fixes your issues.

OH MY GOD..... i just want to kill my self!!! i did a worse mistake!!! i just upgraded it into 2.2!!! and now my card wont recognize!!!!

if i just see your message in the first place..... this would not be happen.....

anyway... thanks for your info dorfdad.....

i just need to find a way to unlock this 'unbelievable' thing....!!!:(

Mooey28

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Outgoing calls Failed, still send/receive sms, web browsing

Hello,

I've just started experiencing EXACTLY the same problem... iPhone all of a sudden refuses to make outgoing calls however I can still send and receive sms and browse the web with 3G. Am using the 16GB version with the 2.2 version software.

I've tried every solution possible to rectify this. I have reset the phone, done a restore, tried outgoing calls with 3G deactivated, turned the time zone setting to manual, reset network settings, got a new SIM card..

In the end I popped my SIM card into another phone and the call option worked fine. I've since been told I need a new phone.

I'd like to know why it has stopped working like this though. Is there possibly a corrupt application that may contain a virus.. Have recently received an update for the night camera application, white noise, drummer, the beginning... Although I did remove all contents and still that didn't work...

Any answers..?? This is so infuriating.

Will keep you posted on any progress made.

Nick.

tomtom99

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
IPhone §G outgoing call failure

Hello,

first of all: Happy new Year to all from Germany.

I've got the same problem as all the other users here: Legally unlocked 3G,
first everything worked out fine, then (after a jailbreak?): No outgoing calls possible, eveything else ist working.
Another curious thing: I've no chance to turn off "Show my caller ID" under Settings--> Phone, perhaps this does this depend on my carrier (O2-Germany).

Does anyone made any progress in this topic or did anyone send his Iphone to apple for service (same problem for me as the danish collegue: Would have to send it to Italy...)

Thanks for your responde, even ift it is: Sorry, no new ideas.

Greetings from Hamburg,

Tom

molam1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Another solution, not so obvious

Hi all, I too had the same problem. Just happened today. Here's a little background. I switched from one service provider to another, ie. Maxis to Celcom. Upon switching, whilst maintaining the same number, I was not able to received calls, all calls would be notified as missed calls by sms to my iPhone. After speaking to support, they assured me this would be rectified. Also by switching my provider, when I make a call, a window pops up notifying me of 'Call forwarding is active'. Basically just ignore it and it goes away once connection is made.

This morning, I could received calls. However, my iPhone 3g 16gb ability to make calls ceased when I received a notice window on my iPhone stating, 'iPhone is activated'. I knew then it must have linked to my new service provider. So, I found this site and a lot of other sites discussing this problem, people stating its the phone and it should be replaced, etc.

I tried everything mentioned here, reboot etc. etc. even tried to jailbreak the phone using QuickPWN but that failed or I was not doing it correctly. Anyway, as I was restoring the phone, I placed my old, invalid SIM into the iPhone. This is with my first carrier, Maxis. iTunes launched, and a pop up dialog box prompted me to 'Update my carrier settings'. Never seen this before, so I clicked YES.

I then placed the new, valid SIM into the iPhone, and the 'Show caller ID' and 'Call Waiting' is now normal, no longer dimmed out and inaccessible. So, all is ok, and I can make and receive calls.

So, its to do with the carrier settings on the SIM or the service provider which affects the iPhone. Not sure what it does, but here is a suggestion, just drop in another SIM, borrowed from someone else phone and connect to iTunes, you may get a message prompting a, 'UPdate carrier settings'.

Hope this helps.

radstar1969

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Call failure

Turn off 3g! fixed it for me! had exactly the same issues. Phone worked fine and then all of a sudden multiple call failures. just turned off 3g and presto.

deanclarke

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
thank you!!

turning off my 3g actually worked...i thought how silly it cant be that, tryed ut and wow! it worked lmfao! thanks mate much thanks

Puneecool

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Outgoin Call Failure

I have been experiencing outgoing call failure problem since last 4 days which just started coming out of the blues one fine day...

Heres the solution :
1. Try changing "show my caller id" to on..as it is a network dependent parameter it is a possibility that your carrier not allowing to change it...in that case switch 3g off and by the time phone is searchin for network immediately go to settings->phone->show my caller id and then change it to off and then on

2. Restart phone

3. If it doesnot help repeat point one and two but with "call waiting" option rather than "show my calle id"

Hope this wouls help:)

xebecs

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Yes it works!

Setting>General>Reset>Reset Network

Worked for me!

Thanks a million, despite being a hardcore PC user, I just registered to thank you and others for helping me with this. Although, my initial problem was the opposite, my iphone would reboot during incoming call progression, typically I thought it was the antenna (since mine was freshly hand repaired) until I found this.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.