Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I just purchased a 16gb ipod touch. I am trying to add photos, videos and music to it and then give it to my father as a present.

Synching went fine at home, but now I'm at work and I want to add some more stuff but it says it will delete all the existing files and folders.

Is there a way to sync on different computers and just add more files from a different computer? because once I give it to him filled with files, it seems like he won't be able to add his own without deleting the ones I put in.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I just purchased a 16gb ipod touch. I am trying to add photos, videos and music to it and then give it to my father as a present.

Synching went fine at home, but now I'm at work and I want to add some more stuff but it says it will delete all the existing files and folders.

Is there a way to sync on different computers and just add more files from a different computer? because once I give it to him filled with files, it seems like he won't be able to add his own without deleting the ones I put in.

The problem is that there is only one way syncing, Computer -> ipod touch. Unless you use some 3rd party application that will enable you to extract all of the files from you ipod to your computer (outside of iTunes), you're out of luck.

What I can suggest is that you copy your iTunes folder (all of it) to a large capacity flash drive (or portable disk drive), bring it to work and copy that to your work computer, in essence making the two computers synchronized. Then add the additional files you want to your work itunes library and sync it to the ipod. Now copy back the new itunes folder (updated library) to the external storage device you brought in.

You then take that device to your father's computer and do the same, but delete what you don't want him to have.

It's sounds cumbersome, but it's a workaround and fairly easy.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
wow, this is another big negative about the touch. I guess most people won't have a problem like this since you'd just sync with the same computer.

My problem is my computer at home is iMac, my Dad lives out of the country and has a PC. Sucks!!!

any other options or alternatives?

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
You need to turn off autosync using the original computer--in this case, your home computer--before you can manually manage on any other computer.

I'm just not sure about any songs that have been bought through iTunes. Those might be deleted/unplayable on a computer without the same iTunes account.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
You need to turn off autosync using the original computer--in this case, your home computer--before you can manually manage on any other computer.

I'm just not sure about any songs that have been bought through iTunes. Those might be deleted/unplayable on a computer without the same iTunes account.

thank for the response,

I am pretty sure I had autosync off at the home computer. I'll take my tablet pc home and see if I can play with the settings to change things.

itunes music is not an issue since I'll let him add his own music. I just wanted to give it to him with family pictures and scanned old pics and some movies for him to watch.

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
My iPod Touch can connect with my three home computers--all Macs, all on the same iTunes account, but each with different music and movie libraries. None of my iPods (except the shuffles) are auto-synched for exactly this reason.

I can't add more pictures from different computers (I don't think), but I can add and delete the movies and music. My sister added some songs from her library onto it, and those play fine when I listen to the iPod directly or have it connected to my car stereo (not when i have it connected to my iTunes since her account isn't enabled on my computer and the songs are from her iTunes account not a regular CD).

She hooks up her iPods to my computers all the time to borrow some music. And I've moved movies from my iTunes onto a friend's iPod Touch. You should be ok with your Dad's.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Dumb Questions:

Does anyone know how the ipod touch or the computer recognizes the other? How does it know it's a different computer? (i.e. computer name? ip address? or just the info stored in the computer?)

maybe there's a way to trick the ipod touch or itunes to think it's still using the same machine?

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
Bizarre.

You might have to start from scratch--go back to the first computer, allow the "erase and synch," make sure all syncing is set to manual instead of auto, and reload the content. A bit of a pain, I fear.

Good luck.

I have no clue how each computer knows which iPods "belong" to them. I stand by the tried but true "a wizard did it" explanation.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
You mean, when they ask "erase and sync" just ok it and it should work? The pop ups always say the ipod touch can only be sync'd with one itunes.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
You are right!!! Thank you!

I started from scratch. Added pictures from the "home" pc. Went to my mac and added a movie and it asked me to erase and sync, I clicked ok. Now I have both the pics from my home pc and the movie from my mac. I didn't try music but that doesn't matter since I won't be adding music for my father.

thanks for all your help!!!

caffertyk

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Cautionary Tale

Same irritating problem -- only the library I used to sync with was on a computer whose hard drive died, so the copies of all the files were only on my iPod. To add any more videos, pictures, etc, I couldn't go back to the "master" computer because it doesn't exist.

So... foolishly, I said "OK to erase and sync" to add some videos, then the computer sucked all my music off the iPod as well and I've lost it all!

Bring back the old system where you could designate your iPod as a hard drive and use third-party software to get around this!!

I guess I should have guessed this might happen, but was only thinking I was directing the video component of the sync. :-(

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
Its been a well publicised and well complained about fact that ever since the touch was released it's been unable to be used as a hard drive.

To the original poster - wouldn't it have been easier to burn the pictures and movies to a DVD and set up your Dad's iTunes library from scratch on his PC rather than messing around as you did? After all, your Dad is going to have to sync the touch with his PC at some point to get new music on it and well may lose all you have put on.

Senuti (for Mac) is now compatible with the touch and iPhone so you can know get your music off if you have a problem with your computer. Sorry I can't post a link as I'm posting from my touch.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Its been a well publicised and well complained about fact that ever since the touch was released it's been unable to be used as a hard drive.

To the original poster - wouldn't it have been easier to burn the pictures and movies to a DVD and set up your Dad's iTunes library from scratch on his PC rather than messing around as you did? After all, your Dad is going to have to sync the touch with his PC at some point to get new music on it and well may lose all you have put on.

Senuti (for Mac) is now compatible with the touch and iPhone so you can know get your music off if you have a problem with your computer. Sorry I can't post a link as I'm posting from my touch.

Thanks for the info. After my Dad having the touch for several months, he's back in the US and now I want to update the jailbreak. I did make a back up copy of all the files I put in there for him, but he never used the Touch. Sad, I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.