Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawaiipoolman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I am migrating my iPhone from a Vista Machine to an iMac, and I want to know the proper way to migrate my iPhone to a new computer.... I want to know especially how to move my apps and my app's settings. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I am migrating my iPhone from a Vista Machine to an iMac, and I want to know the proper way to migrate my iPhone to a new computer.... I want to know especially how to move my apps and my app's settings. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

You will first need to authorize the iMac (use itunes menu). Then you simply download the apps again, which is free, and sync the iphone.

argee

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
This doesn't seem to be working for me.

Hey there. I tried out the authorizing of my account on my new iMac, and it says I'm already authorized (I did it earlier) and then surfed over to the app store to Voxie, and app I know I paid for. The app was still priced as $1.99, as opposed to the free that was suggested. :confused:

Thanks, in advance, for the help!

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
The app was still priced as $1.99, as opposed to the free that was suggested. :confused:

I think im right in saying that when you go and try to download it, it will say you have already purchased it and would you like to purchase it again for free.

Mattwood

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Copy the purchased apps (.ipa files in iTunes directories) move them to the new computer via pen drive or hard drive etc.

authorise the new computer on itunes etc.

its simple - easier on mac to mac through migrate options ;)

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
You do know that after you have authorized the the phone on the iMac, that you can right click on the phones name in Itunes and select to transfer your purchases to the new computer right?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You do know that after you have authorized the the phone on the iMac, that you can right click on the phones name in Itunes and select to transfer your purchases to the new computer right?

I was wondering why no one had told the OP this. It's that easy.

OP, what you should also do is backup your iPhone in iTunes to the Mac. That'll bring over the App settings, among other things. Then sync contacts, notes, etc. (you won't be able to get pics, video, and music w/o copying them from the computer to the Mac....make sure to consolidate the library before copying) and you'll be all set. Oh, BTW, if it asks to merge, pick merge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.