Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcrskim

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
wait.. so if your iPhone is jailbroken, you can't connect it to your computer and have iTunes update it like it would a non-jailbroken iPhone ?

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
you restore in iTunes, update to 2.2 and then use quickpwn to jailbreak again.

I wouldn't do it that way... chances are very good you will run into many problems.. You should download the 2.2 firmware then pwn it using quickpwn or pwnage tool or what ever you refer, then install the newly pwned firmware over the old jailbroken firmware in itunes the same way you did it the first time. (right click and choosing to install the new firmware you just pwned)
Hope that helps.. I kind of typed it fast.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I wouldn't do it that way... chances are very good you will run into many problems.. You should download the 2.2 firmware then pwn it using quickpwn or pwnage tool or what ever you refer, then install the newly pwned firmware over the old jailbroken firmware in itunes the same way you did it the first time. (right click and choosing to install the new firmware you just pwned)
Hope that helps.. I kind of typed it fast.

Ive been restoring in iTunes and jailbreaking w/ iLiberty and then QuickPwn since 1.1.4. Ive had no problems.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
- backup all existing data in itunes
- make sure itunes is the latest version
- restore to the 2.2 firmware (when you restore, itunes will ask you to move up to 2.2)
- run quickpwn or pwnage tool on a barebone phone
- restore the backed up data

there is nothing wrong with doing it this way, haven't had any problems
I personally have had more problems when I don't restore to a barebone phone first. Quickpwn or pwnage will hang and get stuck at the apple/pineapple logo or other errors during restore if there are many existing apps.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
- restore to the 2.2 firmware (when you restore, itunes will ask you to move up to 2.2)

I personally have had more problems when I don't restore to a barebone phone first. Quickpwn or pwnage will hang and get stuck at the apple/pineapple logo or other errors during restore if there are many existing apps.

When you restore, do all you're jailbroken apps and settings come back?

*JimmyJ*

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Don't think so, looking for a backup app myself, which will backup all my jailbroken apps to iTunes

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Nope I would use a app backing up program that sames a small file with the info on what cydia apps and packages you have installed and when you rejailbreak you can just click redownload. but the settings will be gone no matter what :(

Arh, this appears to be the first downside to Jailbreaking. Can you suggest an app which will do this?

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Nope I would use a app backing up program that sames a small file with the info on what cydia apps and packages you have installed and when you rejailbreak you can just click redownload. but the settings will be gone no matter what :(

apt backup doesnt work! I've tried it every time i have restored or re-jailbreaked and it NEVER worked. I've heard numerous complaints about it not working. Right now there is no app backup solution for restoring.

jmann

macrumors 604
apt backup doesnt work! I've tried it every time i have restored or re-jailbreaked and it NEVER worked. I've heard numerous complaints about it not working. Right now there is no app backup solution for restoring.

LAME! I've never had the chance to test it. It doesn't bother me much. I can use a pen and paper and write down what apps I downloaded before I do an upgrade.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't do it that way... chances are very good you will run into many problems.. You should download the 2.2 firmware then pwn it using quickpwn or pwnage tool or what ever you refer,l

When you say pwn it what does that mean?

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
What about a gen 1 phone that was unlocked via Ziphone? I have been using my 1.4 firmware on my jailbroken, unlocked phone for the past year. I would like to upgrade to 2.2 but I am not sure if it is possible since Ziphone does 'stuff' to it.

CBell

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008

I use a mac. Will Quickpwn 1.0 pwn the 2.2 firmware?

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
i am a little confused about updating software on a jailbroken iphone. Let's say apple comes out with firmware 2.3, what would be the best approach to installing the update and then re-jailbreaking? I think i have read or heard that you don't want to hook your iphone up to your computer, go to itunes and click check for update. And then install the update. I think i heard that if you did that, you might not be able to unlock your phone in the future. I don't know if that is true? One of my questions is how do you get the new firmware onto your phone? Like if i download firmware 2.3, let's say to my desktop, and then go into itunes, what do i do next? Do i control click check for updates and then from the pop-up choose 2.3 from my desktop? Can I use quickpwn to update the firmware? Also do i reststore my iphone to it's factory settings in itunes before updating?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I've updated my 3G and two 2G phones. What was weird is that even though I did lose my Cydia apps when I downloaded them again my settings were the same. Cycorder still had all my videos I had taken a few days before the jailbreak, dtunes had all my files, and pwnplayer had all the songs I had downloaded. Also all my cracked apps still worked without having to go and replace the mobileinstallation file. I'm not sure why everything stayed the same I thought it was supposed to be deleted.

alexpyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
why couldn't you just jailbreak again? Like with red-snow except use a higher firmware.

derekbank

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Manual

You could copy the files manually to the media folder where regular applications go, then if you sync it should work!

kaaaaaaaat8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
Updating a Jailbroken Phone??

If i just use iTunes to update the jailbroken iPhone will it still work afterwards? it just won't be jailbroken or will it not work at all??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.