Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I'm a week or two away from buying the Macbook Air 64GB SSD verson.
What I'm wondering is:
Will the speed be ok, good, great or superior?
I have an pretty old laptop running at 1,6GHz, with 512MB RAM, so those parts wont bring any problems at all. Nor will the 64GB, the one USB port or the missing internal superdrive. After design (obviously) speed is what matters to me. I use about 5 hours daily surfing, so how fast I'm able to do that is a important factor.

Also: You think this computer (yes, without the 9400M) is able to do Counter Strike:Source? If not; Counter Strice:Condition Zero?

This will be an extremely large pluss.

What I use my computer for:
1) Surfing
2) Discussing in forums
3) Watching TV shows on pages that showes it for free. Like surfthe...... (not saying the rest incase it's not allowed)
4) Playing Counter Strike
5) Messanger and easy applications.

So, no moviemaker, photoshop and so. That is what I use my computer for. Will the MacBook Air 64GB SSD be a good buy for me?

Appreciating replies alot.

Thank You.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
For everything I'd imagine you'll be fine.

I've never owned at Air, but Counter Strike is fairly old, and the specs are pretty light, so I think you'll be fine.

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
For everything I'd imagine you'll be fine.

I've never owned at Air, but Counter Strike is fairly old, and the specs are pretty light, so I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for fast answer. I would believe that aswell, but as it recieves some negative critisism from the pcers, I wanted to make sure.
When I spend that great amount of money on a computer, I really don't want it to be too slow for my easy use.

Anyone else that can confirm these thoughts?

Btw: It costs $2200 with todays high dollar, in my country. The new one with 128GB SSD costs $3100. If I went to the US I would easily have bought one.

Edit: Thanks to Ironic for answer aswell.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The huge advantage of the MBA is its complete portability, its lightness, and the sheer beauty of its design. However, for what you say you want to do, the MBA should b more than adequate; it is very fast compared with older models; it is not so far compared with its peers in the current market, but it was designed for portability, not speed and power. So, go buy and enjoy a marvel of modern computing.

Cheers and good luck

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Thanks. I'm really looking forward for the unboxing now. Actually I've had this one thing on my mind for like two months now. That's me. When I am to buy something, I make sure there is nothing that will make me more satisfied and make sure I'm almost dieing of joy when I get it. Unboxing will be at..hm.. let's say 24th? =D That's when europeans open gifts, btw.

I'm ecstatic :D (if that's a word).. English isn't my best subject.

insheRiel

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
dont do it

Thanks. I'm really looking forward for the unboxing now. Actually I've had this one thing on my mind for like two months now. That's me. When I am to buy something, I make sure there is nothing that will make me more satisfied and make sure I'm almost dieing of joy when I get it. Unboxing will be at..hm.. let's say 24th? =D That's when europeans open gifts, btw.

I'm ecstatic :D (if that's a word).. English isn't my best subject.

I would say dont do it.. im on the same status...
I would not go for a MBA 1.8 64SSD because the new macbook air has a lot of important improvements:
- better heatsink
- better video card perfect for Counter Strike Source, believe me if you go for the old macbook air will never get 30+ fps on CSS.
- faster ram, bus and more cache on CPU.
- more hdd space.

I would get a NON-SSD new MBA instead of a SSD old MBA
for better gaming and heavy flash and video playback.. SMOOTH animations in OSX, and it will get better with snow leopard OSX.

so forget about the SSD old MBA if you can afford the new one maybe he 1.86Ghz + 120GB so it will be a little more cheaper than the SSD.

Load times will take a little longer, but overall performance, will be much better.

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
The new HDD will cost me 100 dollars more than the 64 SSD model.

New HDD advantages for me:
Faster Ram
nVidia 9400M
Keyboard that is used in my country. (The SSD uses an American keyboard)

Disadvantages:
HDD instead of SSD
Can handle less physical abuse. (In case i drop it. (But I won't because I'm gonna treat it as my child.))
Going to be alot of bugs the first few months (mosts likely)

Don't know why, but my nose is pointing in the SSD's direction.

And BTW! This is going to totally reveal my non-excisting knowledge, but... Will the new graphics make the screen nicer aswell? Or will it only help in games and mulimedia work? I would like a bright screen with marvelous colors :D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
If the keyboard difference big? Is it something that be a hassle for you?

But yea, personally I go for the SSD over an HDD, if it was just that.....but the GPU is a big difference, plus the keyboard...thats brings it a lot closer.

Both will do what you want......

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I think I still will be able to write with letters like æøå, right? I mean, I can change that with settings, can't I?
If yes, I don't think that would be much of a problem.

What is GPU and what does it do? Haha, sorry for asking.
And can an Apple Store upgrade the ram if I would want that sometime?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The new MacBook Air will be the wiser choice.

Otherwise I am certain you can pick one up cheap at various places, like eBay.

It seems you are in Scandinavia, so it might be cheaper to pay the import tax.

6SSD4

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know. I'm not willing to stand alot of trouble with a 2200 dollars computer. That's why I don't want to buy it when it first comes out..
Anything wrong with the 64 SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.