Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I have been checking this forum for quite a while, and here is my first post...

I currently use an ibook G4 (1.33 ghz, 1gb ram, 40g harddrive) and am sort of wanting to upgrade my system mostly because I am running out of HD space. I have been looking at the new aluminum macbook, but all the rev A glitches made me decide to wait until rev B. So, I have been looking for a G4 12", which I have really wanted to own. I take my laptop to work everyday, and it will be a good secondary computer in the future. Also, powerbook's supporting a second display is a big plus, as I am planning to watch TV after they switch from analog to digital. I did check some authorized resellers for used 12" inchers, but they were expensive. Then I happened to find one on craigslist...

The guy is selling his 12" G4. It's 1.5 ghz, 1.25 ram, 60gb harddrive with combo drive. 1 extra battery. No applecare (of course). Comes with all the original accessories, including OS discs and the box. Asking price is $650 OBO.

I exchanged e-mails with his twice. Apparently he is a local guy using a hotmail account. I did ask for the serial number and he did give it to me. I checked appleserialnumber.com, and found it was made in 2005. He also said the machine has never had any mechanical issues and is in very good condition cosmetically.

I have been selling/buying through ebay, but never used craigslist, nor buying a computer from a private seller.

1) Anything I have to be careful about for buying a computer off craigslist?
2) Do you think the deal is legit? Is this a good price for an used powerbook G4 12"? I know it still is a popular model, but knowing i can get a brand-new (white) macbook for $900 or so, $650 sounds a little expensive.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Craiglist is cool, but still meet in a public place.
$650 is too much. For me I'd pay $400 max for one of those machines. Otherwise go get a brand new MB.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Craiglist is cool, but still meet in a public place.
$650 is too much. For me I'd pay $400 max for one of those machines. Otherwise go get a brand new MB.

Agreed. Not more than $400 is what I'd say too - and dropping. Once Snow Leopard comes out, it'll drop even faster. Meet in person, and in a public place where you can check out the machine - I bought a mini on CL, but I met at a Starbucks where I could plug in my laptop and check things out.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a 17" Powerbook G4 for $400 last year. Honestly, my friend, you're thinking about a 12" Powerbook for $600? Save up a couple hundred more and buy one of the new Macbooks....have you thought of that yet?

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Yea that price sounds a little on the high side.
The nice thing about dealing local is you can actually try it out. Meet somewhere like starbucks. Sit down with him and play with it for 5 or 10 minutes. Ofer to buy him a cup of joe while he is waiting. ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Save up and buy an Aluminum MacBook. Honestly, there are many more users who do not have glitches out there with their MacBooks but do not take the time to make a post about it. The small percentage of people who do shout the loudest. There's nothing to worry about, should you receive a MacBook with a "glitch" or defect as we call them, you can always exchange at your local apple store.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I bought a 17" Powerbook G4 for $400 last year. Honestly, my friend, you're thinking about a 12" Powerbook for $600? Save up a couple hundred more and buy one of the new Macbooks....have you thought of that yet?

Thank you for the comments. I agree. I guess I'm used to seeing people pay $500 to even $600+ for that on ebay. I know some resellers charge even more (with some sort of warranty). I guess I will make an offer to the guy and will see what happens...

Yes, I did think about getting a Macbook. Why do i still want to get a powerbook g4 12"? Mostly for sentimental reasons, but being a long time user of ibook g3 and g4, I do like the form factor and portability. Am I wasting my money?

Thank you for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.