Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buzz Law

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
This thread is geared towards MB/MBP owners, (specifically those with the late 2008) models. Its very easy to add stain-art to the cosmetics of any laptop. Drops of soup love to introduce themselves to the trackpad and rain drops may bounce off your jacket onto the screen on a wet day. If you're like me, you're heavily bothered by the slightest imperfection and hesitant to clean it, especially the screen.

I finally cleaned mine after having stains on the trackpad, outside the trackpad, grease on the keyboard and watermarks and fingerprints on the screen.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

My motivation to use my MBP has been completely regenerated ever since.

Ridiculously fast and easy - looks like its fresh out the box. I definitely wasn't the only one. Go for it.

Neil1138

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Every night I wipe mine down with a damp microfiber cloth. I never touch it when i have greasy hands anyway but i want to keep it nice and clean until i get my invisible shield. After I install it, I think i can let loose a little bit. The shield should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll post a write up of the install and stuff. Like a DIY. I'm a car guy so I have a lot of microfibers in the house and stuff. At sams club, you can buy an industrial microfiber set for $15. comes with 25 cloths that are 1x1 ft. great buy if you are into taking care of your car paint or just wiping down the macbook glass screen.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I use a wet towel on the case, or if I'm feeling frisky I'll break out a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This is brushed aluminum, about the easiest material to keep clean (although it gets dirty easy too).

Now, polishing the rims on my car (rims that cost quite a bit more than my computer :)) is a much harder job. Brake dust > fingerprints.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Is there a point in perfection? As well as this thread? You clean it, and eventually it will get dirty. Use it, not show it off.

I couldn't agree more. It's a computer, not a piece of art on display in a museum. If you're getting bent out of shape by fingerprints on the keyboard then I think you might have bigger issues that need to be resolved. Two each their own. I'll keep using my oily-keyboarded, smudged-screened MBP for now. ;)

CaffeMacchiato

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Certainly, the whole point of having a laptop is to use it--at least for most people. Nonetheless, durability is a valid consideration in a product design, i.e. choice of material, etc. My wired apple keyboard (white) seems to be much more oil-proof, than that of my mbp (late 2008).

Azagar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
San Francisco
Certainly, the whole point of having a laptop is to use it--at least for most people. Nonetheless, durability is a valid consideration in a product design, i.e. choice of material, etc. My wired apple keyboard (white) seems to be much more oil-proof, than that of my mbp (late 2008).

Well the color black is almost always easier to get dirty compared to the white on the keyboard, and I love that keyboard too bad it is a crumb magnet, among other things on the bottom of the keys. But nothing a condensed air can can't fix/clean.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
This thread is geared towards MB/MBP owners, (specifically those with the late 2008) models. Its very easy to add stain-art to the cosmetics of any laptop. Drops of soup love to introduce themselves to the trackpad and rain drops may bounce off your jacket onto the screen on a wet day. If you're like me, you're heavily bothered by the slightest imperfection and hesitant to clean it, especially the screen.

I finally cleaned mine after having stains on the trackpad, outside the trackpad, grease on the keyboard and watermarks and fingerprints on the screen.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

My motivation to use my MBP has been completely regenerated ever since.

Ridiculously fast and easy - looks like its fresh out the box. I definitely wasn't the only one. Go for it.

Didn't you ask this question about a week ago? In another thread, that you started??? :confused:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
No offense to the OP BUT....It's not wise (rather use a different word but I might get banned) to eat a bowl of soup over your computer. Who would do that??? Also there is no reason to get raindrops from your clothes on your computer unless you are sitting there typing on your computer with a dripping wet jacket, which also is not wise (again, rather use a different word but I might get banned).

CaffeMacchiato

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Some would say that there is no problem at all. If one belongs to the other problematic camp, then it is either Apple's laptop design or the oily user.

The Apple wired keyboard (white) seems to be using a different type of material for the keys on the keyboard.

Azagar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
San Francisco
Some would say that there is no problem at all. If one belongs to the other problematic camp, then it is either Apple's laptop design or the oily user.

The Apple wired keyboard (white) seems to be using a different type of material for the keys on the keyboard.

This is the original Apple wired keyboard, the one that doesn't replicate the new key design of all current Macbooks were talking about right? They only difference I can feel is the new keys are a bit smoother.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
If you are using your computer in the rain, you have other problems besides dirt to deal with.

CaffeMacchiato

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
This is the original Apple wired keyboard, the one that doesn't replicate the new key design of all current Macbooks were talking about right? They only difference I can feel is the new keys are a bit smoother.

Not the original wired keyboard, but the one using aluminum body.

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Hmm, let's see... don't use your laptop in the rain or when you have greasy hands, and wipe it with a cloth once a month. I bet it still looks brand new a year later. Am I missing something? :confused:

sip615

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
I judge people with dirty computers. If you pay so much money for something, take pride in it and keep it clean. Also, dirty computers give bad performance.

On the other hand, I have to agree that worrying only about how it looks is a little much.

All in all, this thread is indeed slightly pointless on both counts. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.