Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corn Chips

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Will Apple fix it for me?

I've wiped it clean and made sure it's up to date on software, yet when someone calls me, I can't answer. (Sliding it when it's locked, and pressing the answer button when I'm using the phone already)
It's been like this for about 2 weeks.

Add to that, 3 days ago I dropped it about 2 feet onto fake wood floor, and the screen cracked. The LCD is fine, just the glass case is broken.

Will Apple give me a new one/fix this one for me?

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Apple will not replace it for you. You can get a new one for $199 though.

Corn Chips

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
As I said in my original post, it's been acting up about 2 weeks longer than my screen was cracked, so that has nothing to do with it.
I just didn't know if they'd fix it or not because now my screen is cracked, they'll assume I'm lying and figure that's the problem.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
As I said in my original post, it's been acting up about 2 weeks longer than my screen was cracked, so that has nothing to do with it.
I just didn't know if they'd fix it or not because now my screen is cracked, they'll assume I'm lying and figure that's the problem.

They are going to assume you are lying.

I would. (no offense.)

Good luck.

Corn Chips

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
If I showed a "Genius" at the Apple store, they'd see what's wrong.

I can slide the phone open, and the touch screen is completely fine everywhere on the screen, just not when someone calls. That's definitely a software issue.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
If I showed a "Genius" at the Apple store, they'd see what's wrong.

I can slide the phone open, and the touch screen is completely fine everywhere on the screen, just not when someone calls. That's definitely a software issue.

Like I said, good luck, if I were apple I would decline any free fixes for you.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008

Restore your phone then. That will tell you if it's a software issue. If it doesn't work after a restore, then it is hardware.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Restore your phone then. That will tell you if it's a software issue. If it doesn't work after a restore, then it is hardware.

That's actually a great tip.

You should do this first, as there is a good chance IF the apple genius looks into you problem, he will tell you to do a restore at some point.

Corn Chips

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I restored it again (just did yesterday and the problem persisted) and it seems to have fixed it.
That's kinda a relief, although now I still need to fork out $200 =/

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
If you go to the Apple Store it depends who you get,My sister dropped hers and she went to the Apple Store and the guy gave her a whole new iPhone. She acted kind of sad. Hahaha. It worked though. It's worth a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.