Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BelmontSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
The Internet
Is it possible to output the iPhone's screen to a PC or Mac? I want to record myself showing off some features of an app, but I want to do it without an external camera. Is it possible to do this with it connected via USB (maybe with a PC app or something) or am I outta luck?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Best bet would be to borrow a camera. This can't be done. It would be cool though!

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Is it possible to output the iPhone's screen to a PC or Mac? I want to record myself showing off some features of an app, but I want to do it without an external camera. Is it possible to do this with it connected via USB (maybe with a PC app or something) or am I outta luck?

Impossible.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Apple does something like that with their keynotes. Looks like a keynote outline of the phone with the iPhone contents in the window.

You see the size of the cable plugged into the phone? :eek:

I bet that is a pretty hefty setup.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Actually, this is indeed possible. You need to have a jailbroken iPhone though. It's done wirelessly.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Apple does something like that with their keynotes. Looks like a keynote outline of the phone with the iPhone contents in the window.

Didn't they say that they could do that because there was a special motherboard in the iPhone? I was watching the original iPhone keynote the other day and I recall hearing that.

tsvb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Modders have done this I believe with the latest beta software build there is a way to output to a external monitor.

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
OP, print screen might be an option on the iPhone for you? Take a pic of the current screen by simultaneously pressing both the home and sleep buttons.

wrogerw

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Yes, It's 100% Possible!

iPhoneonWindowsScreenShot.jpg

Check it out on the website:

Text from the website...

... Developed by Jay Freeman, the creator of the Cydia and Cycorder apps, Veency is a free app that allows iPhone owners to remotely control their iPhone from the comfort of your PC or Mac desktop via a VNC client. Some of the neat things you can do with Veency are:

Launch applications on your iPhone
*Reply to emails, text messages, and more
*Rearrange icons
*Lock/Unlock your iPhone
*Browse through Photos and Contacts

Unsurprisingly, you cannot do two finger gestures with this app. All other actions can be done with the click of your mouse. The only area in which Veency fails tragically at is when opening any video recording application on the iPhone. We could not view any videos or video recordings on-screen and opening any video application resulted in significantly lower performance from Veency.

Charge Your iPhone From Anywhere
Now iPhone users can charge their iPhone in one room and still answer messages or play with their apps without needing their iPhone to be around. Veency allows you to see any incoming calls, but you obviously shouldn't try to answer them from your computer. Be sure to restart your iPhone after installing Veency and connect to the server using a Wi-Fi connection. We Use UltraVNC or TightVNC to connect your Windows desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.