Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
A hunter who shot a large deer in America found himself on the receiving end of an unexpected backlash.

Randy Goodman, 49, said that he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck, which he shot while hunting in Missouri.

Goodman said the deer looked dead to him - but seconds later the 240lb animal came impressively back to life.

It promptly got to its feet, turned its attention to Goodman, knocked him over and attacked him with its antlers. Goodman described the attack as '15 seconds of hell,' which perhaps suggests a slight lack of empathy with the deer's feelings on the matter.

Sadly for the deer, however, its pretending-to-be-dead-then-goring-the-dude gambit didn't pay off – Goodman shot it two more times, after which it really was dead.

But it left its mark on the hunter – after killing the deer, Goodman noticed that he was covered in blood, and had to drive himself to hospital to have seven staples stuck into his head.
Metro.

Shame he was eventually able to kill it, but rather rocking that the deer was able to inflict a good amount of damage first* :D

*yes, unless you need to kill to eat, I don't like hunters.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Goes to show that without a gun most hunters (or idiot thugs, for that matter) wouldn't have a shot in hell, as it were.

ahem ;) (I love this video so much)

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
On the weekends, my house, which is out in the country, is surrounded by hunters and I hate them with a passion. Sadly, I'm in a minority. I've been thinking about an anti hunt T-shirt based on the Sex Pistols gay cowboy shirt where 2 cowboys are stood opposite each other with their kocks out. Hopefully that will offend their hunting and religious cores all in one go! My vampire Sarkozy one only worked on old catholic grannies for some reason!???!!? Unfortunately I haven't found a suitable image of hunters to manipulate for my nasty little plan. If anyone knows of a suitable image please feel free to attach.:D

As to the OP - if only the deer had caused some real damage I'd be feeling a bit chirpier.:mad:

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
...is surrounded by hunters and I hate them with a passion. Sadly, I'm in a minority. I've been thinking about an anti hunt T-shirt...As to the OP - if only the deer had caused some real damage I'd be feeling a bit chirpier.:mad:

Too bad you are not more open minded about life in general. The same rights given to the hunter are the same rights that protect you from being forced to eat wild game. I get the distinct impression you are a younger member of society as your understanding of reciprocal rights and freedom seems to elude you.

I suppose if you would have it be your way then you would want the government to decide what we eat. No thanks.

(feel free to interchange "eat" with "do", "say" and "feel")

:D

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Too bad you are not more open minded about life in general. The same rights given to the hunter are the same rights that protect you from being forced to eat wild game. I get the distinct impression you are a younger member of society as your understanding of reciprocal rights and freedom seems to elude you.

I suppose if you would have it be your way then you would want the government to decide what we eat. No thanks.

What are you going on about???

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Goes to show that without a gun most hunters (or idiot thugs, for that matter) wouldn't have a shot in hell, as it were.

I think that the first half of deer season they should mandate hunters go out in the woods - weaponless - and kick the biggest buck they can find in the ass. If they can outrun the buck or escape with minor cuts & bruises they can go out and spend the second half of the season trying to shoot one.

I've seen so many people (and esp. in the last two years) who go out hunting and don't have a clue about the regulations or how to handle a gun. For whatever reason they figure the law doesn't apply in their case and let go a 12g a few hundred feet from housing..

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Give the animal rights thing a rest. This is how I ate when I was a kid. My dad shot deer and we ate them. We also butchered chickens with an ax in the back yard. And once a year, we'd go to the dairy farm down the street and butcher a cow. You people need to be a little less judgmental.

I've seen so many people (and esp. in the last two years) who go out hunting and don't have a clue about the regulations or how to handle a gun. For whatever reason they figure the law doesn't apply in their case and let go a 12g a few hundred feet from housing..

Then report them. I believe there are licensing laws in every state. I know my Dad has reported people before.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
That sucks for the hunter. I don't hunt myself, but I have friends that do. It doesn't bother me at all. The only reason why I don't do it is because I think sitting in a tree stand all day doesn't sound fun.

My father-in-law owns and runs a deer processing shop. They are crazy busy, especially on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. They make deer sausage, deer summer sausage, deer fillets, ground deer, etc. I'm not too crazy about ground deer meat, but the deer fillets and summer sausage are AMAZING!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
On the weekends, my house, which is out in the country, is surrounded by hunters and I hate them with a passion.

I wouldn't want hunting going on anywhere near my house either, but... in most of the US, deer are not endangered, as far as I know. The natural population control mechanism for deer is being hunted by carnivorous (but not necessarily human) animals. We killed their non-human natural predators two hundred years ago. What alternative to hunting do you propose?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
That sucks for the hunter. I don't hunt myself, but I have friends that do. It doesn't bother me at all. The only reason why I don't do it is because I think sitting in a tree stand all day doesn't sound fun.

My father-in-law owns and runs a deer processing shop. They are crazy busy, especially on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. They make deer sausage, deer summer sausage, deer fillets, ground deer, etc. I'm not too crazy about ground deer meat, but the deer fillets and summer sausage are AMAZING!

Yeah, the fillets and sausages are awesome. We do get venison once in a while in restaurants here. I always have to get it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
HA HA thats awesome, I dont feel sorry for the hunter at all. You cant expect to shoot someone or something and have them take it laying down.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
What are you going on about???

Fascism.

...The natural population control mechanism for deer is being hunted by carnivorous (but not necessarily human) animals. We killed their non-human natural predators two hundred years ago. What alternative to hunting do you propose?

Deer populations in many areas of the US are out of control and states' DNR agencies are scrambling to get a hold of population densities or the herd will pay a dire price at the hands of disease.

What, exactly, are all the the predators we killed off 200 years ago?
I suppose the Chupacabra could have been a mighty foe back in the day.
PETA=PeopleEatingTastyAnimals

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What, exactly, are all the the predators we killed off 200 years ago?

In the part of the US where I grew up, wolves, primarily.

And no, not werewolves. Just normal wolves. :p It's not a PETA thing... it just makes sense. Deer populations aren't rampant for no reason. Some force has traditionally kept them in check. Deer have lots of natural predators, depending on the environment, besides wolves.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France

WTF? To attempt, a little at least to answer the part I can fathom ... there is no reciprocal right in reverse. I cannot magically shoot a deer or a wild boar or a buzzard and say that that one is somehow saved, bullet proof .. but others can come and kill. The way I see it is that people come from near and far to where I live and then destroy and kill all the wonderful things there which makes it a less rich, diverse and wonderful place to live. And what I want I cannot make manifest as it cannot be made true. Moreover, hunters have shot two of my cats, one of which died. Last weekend we had hounds trying to get through the cat flap in my front door. They were howling, calling others to my house, which is isolated btw, and when you see the hunters themselves they are invariably monosyllabic mannerless c*nts, often drunk who are happy not to give a f*ck because it's someone else's grievance and they're no where near home.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
WTF? To attempt, a little at least to answer the part I can fathom ... there is no reciprocal right in reverse. I cannot magically shoot a deer or a wild boar or a buzzard and say that that one is somehow saved, bullet proof .. but others can come and kill. The way I see it is that people come from near and far to where I live and then destroy and kill all the wonderful things there which makes it a less rich, diverse and wonderful place to live. And what I want I cannot make manifest as it cannot be made true. Moreover, hunters have shot two of my cats, one of which died. Last weekend we had hounds trying to get through the cat flap in my front door. They were howling, calling others to my house, which is isolated btw, and when you see the hunters themselves they are invariably monosyllabic mannerless c*nts, often drunk who are happy not to give a f*ck because it's someone else's grievance and they're no where near home.

Then call the police, don't lump all hunters into the same category because of some. Obviously some laws have been broken.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
"I wouldn't want hunting going on anywhere near my house either, but... in most of the US, deer are not endangered, as far as I know. The natural population control mechanism for deer is being hunted by carnivorous (but not necessarily human) animals. We killed their non-human natural predators two hundred years ago. What alternative to hunting do you propose?"

I'm all for the reintroduction of bears and wolves and in some parts of Europe it's actually happening. Clearly not enough for someone of my politics and world view and sadly, with ever increasing populations this movement will face greater and greater opposition.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto

yeah seems pretty frustrating, but you can't blame every single hunter for that, just load, aim and shoot adequately, hounds included..

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I don't want to fight for/against hunting, but I do believe that this idiot deserves what he got.

His skill with a rifle indicates to me that he should be using rifled slugs, in a 12- guage, not a high-velocity light load, like a .270.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
yeah seems pretty frustrating, but you can't blame every single hunter for that, just load, aim and shoot adequately, hounds included..

Hahhaa .. actually I have thought of getting a shot gun ... not for what you suggest which is a disaster waiting to happen ..(I once gave away a beautiful Bowie knife because I'd had a nightmare that I'd killed someone with it and it really spooked me ... it felt like precognition or something and so I had to get rid of it so it could never happen) but for all the speed cameras that have hit Bretagne in the last year. Shot guns are just too bloody expensive though as much as I like the idea and of course I'd be mixing with the wrong crowd when I went to buy ammo. See .. I've got the lingo .....:D

MattWrenn

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
I think that the first half of deer season they should mandate hunters go out in the woods - weaponless - and kick the biggest buck they can find in the ass. If they can outrun the buck or escape with minor cuts & bruises they can go out and spend the second half of the season trying to shoot one.

What a hilarious idea!!! Good one!!!!

Thanks for making me Laugh :D

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.