Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I recently had a crappy case from the Apple store, dropped my iPhone 3G (black), it cracked, and I recently got around to buying a new one.

I want a REALLY good, protective case this time around. iPhones are just too fragile in my opinion to not have a good case (my screen cracked as I attempted to slide the phone into my pocket and it fell from barely a few feet in the air).

Are Otterbox cases the best? Does anyone here have the Otterbox DEFENDER or IMPACT case? Let me know what yall think... thanks!

Kevin

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I had the original otterbox for my 1st gen iPhone and it served me well.

When I upgraded to the 3G iPhone I decided to buy another otterbox defender for the 3G. Not sure if its the most protective but it's definitely protecting my iPhone at work (not a desk job), while cycling, at the beach (stops sand entering the phone) kayaking (although not waterproof but splash-proof) and will also use it on my next short hiking trip, I know I should leave the phone at home but I like my music :)

The phone fits snug in the case, it's easy to fit the phone in and also easy to remove. It's a bulky case and looks ok in the above environments but I always remove the iPhone from the defender after work/sport, I like the phone naked at all other times ;)

I highly recommend the otterbox 3G defender case.........

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
Did you have to pay full price to replace your iPhone of did you get it fixed? If you replaced it, how much did it cost?

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Absolutely! I didn't have any experience with it prior to my iPhone 3G, but now that I have it I can't imagine how I dared take my iPhone around without it.

My poor baby suffered a 6-7 foot drop down a flight of stairs when someone ran into me on the stairs while I was using the phone. The iPhone was not scratched, and only the silicon case had a bit of smudging on it that wiped off.

At the moment I knew it was a very good investment.

Of course, yet it does add a considerable amount of size to the iPhone (it effectively doubles the thickness), so when I'm at special occasions or going somewhere nice/on a date, the Otterbox comes off and I either use a thin silicone case or no case at all.

In addition, if you want another screen protector on it (makes it more convenient when you slip it in and out of the Otterbox like I do as stated above), you either have to get A) Anti-glare films or B) Dab a slight hint of baby powder on the glossy ones, so that bubbles don't form on the screen.

Both have worked perfectly for me. I will say the Otterbox membrane on the screen also dims the brightness of the display by about 10%. It's not noticeable, but I put it next to a co-worker's with the same anti-glare crystal film but no Otterbox, and it was noticeably dimmer.

But honestly, for every day use, I don't care. The case is fantastic and it takes a lot of worries off my head when I'm walking around using it. For special occasions I can just slip the phone out of it, to show off.

It is a fantastic case. If you're die-hard about looks during your everyday use (college/work/etc.), then you might want to sacrifice the protection for the looks. Other than though, it is a great investment.

If my phone had dropped down that stairwell without the Otterbox, I'd lose another $299. And I never ever drop things, but again goes to show you never know.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
the otterbox has saved my phone countless times.... I use it for when i'm doing outdoors related stuff.. ie.. working on my car... hiking... doing yard work etc... It had taken a number of falls onto cement.. even in the cold.... for everyday use I use the seidio innocase II which is my favorite case for everyday.... otterbox goes on once there's a chance my phone could fall...

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Did you have to pay full price to replace your iPhone of did you get it fixed? If you replaced it, how much did it cost?

Had to pay what I originally paid when I purchased it from ATT, 299 dollars + tax. I was surprised that it did not cost the unsubsidized price of a couple hundred dollars more. Definitely need this Otterbox though. I don't care about the "watermarks" or whatever people refer to them as, because my phone had a terrible crack from falling roughly 2-3 feet up in the air.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I just bought the iPhone 3g defender after reading the reviews and must admit that I am not disappointed. It's an awesome case for protection and it's very well made. To get rid of the watermarks, I recomment getting the crystal film anti-glare from the Apple store. With that film on your iPhone, there will not be any watermarks when you place it into the case.

Just a note too if you have invisible shield applied on the iPhone, it will not fit properly. The plastic case will not be able to close fully. I love the defender so much that I tore off my invisible shield totally. This is the best case for me so far as I had gone through quite a bit of cases. It's not too bad looking too.

Get it from eBay for the best deal. I bought mine on eBay buy-it-now with live cash back and paid just $30 for it. That's my opinion an suggestion though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.