Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbitalia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hi all,

Im just about to jail break my 3g, think i have got every thing i need, quick pwn & restore 2.2 firmware.

Anyhow i have taken a backup of my device that has all my settings etc, my question is that once i have jb the phone, do i then select restore within itunes and select the restore i created earlier to get my settings & contacts back. Would this not just overwrite the jailbreak i just did and therfore putting the phone back in its original state?

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
After the jailbreak, you will be given the option to restore the phone from backup. If you choose this option, you shouldn't lose anything.

dbitalia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks for that, so I take it once the jb is complete quickpwn will prompt the restore?

dbitalia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Do I then restore via itunes and select the restore I created before jb

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I'm considering jailbreaking my 3G (it's at 2.2 right now) and I want to make sure I understand what you guys are saying here. Please tell me if this is correct.

1. Do a backup of my 3G in itunes.
2. JB using Pwnage or QuickPwn.
3. Restore my iphone via the backup I created in step 1.

Once I do finish step 3, all of my info (apps, calendar, contacts, emails, texts, settings, etc.) will be put back on my iphone and my iphone will be in same exact state it was in before but it will now be jailbroken. Is that correct or will I be missing certain information that restoring from a backup does not restore?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I used QuickPwn 2.2 for Mac and all my stuff was there when the process was finished. I did do a backup in itunes first, but I didn't have to do a restore when I was finished. Not sure if I did something differently, but I just followed all the onscreen instructions and once I was finished all my stuff was there. Great tool!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I used QuickPwn 2.2 for Mac and all my stuff was there when the process was finished. I did do a backup in itunes first, but I didn't have to do a restore when I was finished. Not sure if I did something differently, but I just followed all the onscreen instructions and once I was finished all my stuff was there. Great tool!

Everything was there (texts, emails, apps, calendar items, contacts, bookmarks, settings, etc.)?

MikeRiv87

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Everything was there (texts, emails, apps, calendar items, contacts, bookmarks, settings, etc.)?

if u use quickpwn all it does is jailbreak your device. It doesn't reinstall new firmware which would then require you to restore from a backup. Thats why they call it quickpwn. If you use winpwn u will need to do a restore as it first creates a new custom firmware and there totally reflashes your device. Quickpwn takes about 5 minutes where winpwn would take maybe 20ish...

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
if u use quickpwn all it does is jailbreak your device. It doesn't reinstall new firmware which would then require you to restore from a backup. Thats why they call it quickpwn. If you use winpwn u will need to do a restore as it first creates a new custom firmware and there totally reflashes your device. Quickpwn takes about 5 minutes where winpwn would take maybe 20ish...

So, since Quickpwn doesn't put a new firmware, would I just update to the 2.3 firmware when it comes out to "unjailbreak" my iphone if i want? Or can I also restore from the backup created in itunes to unjailbreak?

MikeRiv87

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
So, since Quickpwn doesn't put a new firmware, would I just update to the 2.3 firmware when it comes out to "unjailbreak" my iphone if i want? Or can I also restore from the backup created in itunes to unjailbreak?

Yes, If you click restore iphone in itunes you will lock your iphone again no matter what firmware it is. Your phone will be like when you just got it from apple. You will either have to then use a backup to put on contacts or setup as a new phone and resync everything...

(this is all based on a quickpwn jailbreak)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Yes, If you click restore iphone in itunes you will lock your iphone again no matter what firmware it is. Your phone will be like when you just got it from apple. You will either have to then use a backup to put on contacts or setup as a new phone and resync everything...

(this is all based on a quickpwn jailbreak)

Ok. From what I'm reading it seems like you really only need to use Pwnage if you plan to unlock your phone at some point in the future. Since I don't plan to do so, it sounds like QuickPwn is the way to go for me; however, I'm still a little hesitant. It sounds like when/if Apple comes out with 2.3 or whatever the next firmware update is, I won't be able to just apply the new firmware right over the top of the jailbreak. I'm not so concerned with losing my jailbreak when the new firmware comes out since I know an updated jailbreak will follow shortly thereafter, but I am concerned about having to customize my phone again every time Apple comes out with a new firmware version.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
If you don't care about a potential software unlock for the 3G in the future, use QuickPwn.

By using QuickPwn, you lose nothing, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't backup first (just in case).

When 2.3 (or 3.0, or whatever) is available, download without installing, and then restore (not upgrade) to the new firmware. If you simply upgrade, it will work, but you will lose the 500 MB of storage from the partition that is created when you jailbreak.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
If you don't care about a potential software unlock for the 3G in the future, use QuickPwn.

By using QuickPwn, you lose nothing, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't backup first (just in case).

When 2.3 (or 3.0, or whatever) is available, download without installing, and then restore (not upgrade) to the new firmware. If you simply upgrade, it will work, but you will lose the 500 MB of storage from the partition that is created when you jailbreak.

Are you referring to the official 2.3 software or the jailbroken 2.3 software? In other words, whenever 2.3 comes out should I just wait for the 2.3 jailbreak to come out and then upgrade to that and, if so, does that require re-doing my settings again? Sorry about all of the questions but I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into if I decide to jailbreak. Part of the reason I switched from Windows Mobile to the iphone is because with Windows Mobile every time you upgraded the firmware you had to re-do all of your settings, customizations, etc. Since my iphone is still stock, firmware upgrades have been painless since upgrading the firmware leaves everything else intact - I love that. If jailbreaking is going to make it more like WM where I actually dreaded and avoided firmware upgrades, I may not even bother.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
After a firmware upgrade, a re-jailbreak, and a restore from backup, the only things you have to do are;

1. Re-install applications you installed from Cydia. Aptbkup was supposed to make this a little easier, but there have been posts about problems.

2. Re-customize these jb apps, if needed.

This isn't rocket science. There's no process or program that can restore jb apps and their settings.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
After a firmware upgrade, a re-jailbreak, and a restore from backup, the only things you have to do are;

1. Re-install applications you installed from Cydia. Aptbkup was supposed to make this a little easier, but there have been posts about problems.

2. Re-customize these jb apps, if needed.

This isn't rocket science. There's no process or program that can restore jb apps and their settings.

Ok - I think I understand this now. If I use QuickPwn to jailbreak my 3G right now, I won't have to redo any of my settings, etc. However, once Apple comes out with 2.3 (or whatever is next), I'll have to restore my 3G to 2.2 via itunes, then upgrade it to 2.3. Once the jailbreak for 2.3 comes out, I can use QuickPwn again to jailbreak and then just repeat the process every time a firmware update comes out. Does that sound about right?

bobberoonster

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Lost nothing but my contacts

I jailbroke my 3g a few weeks ago, so far it has worked perfectly and hasn't had any glitches or any disfunction, everything synced back to it when I restored it except my contacts, I don't use outlook but I thought the information was backed up and it doesn't make any sense since everything else was backed up and synced with the restore. If I could get a response quickly it would be great because in my line of work I have hundreds of contacts that would take several years to replace

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I jailbroke my 3g a few weeks ago, so far it has worked perfectly and hasn't had any glitches or any disfunction, everything synced back to it when I restored it except my contacts, I don't use outlook but I thought the information was backed up and it doesn't make any sense since everything else was backed up and synced with the restore. If I could get a response quickly it would be great because in my line of work I have hundreds of contacts that would take several years to replace

...if the phone has been restored and your contacts did not sync back, and your contacts are not in Address Book (or Outlook) and you didn't not back them up seperately, then I'm not sure what anyone here can tell you... most likely their gone. I generally back up everything in more than one place; I really don't consider the daily 'iPhone Backup' prior to syncing as sufficient protection against data loss...especially for important and irreplaceable files/information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.