Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I'm using time machine with an external drive on my macbook for all my documents. However in the off chance something happens to the apartment while I'm not there I'd like some kind of remote backup set up for the items on my mac (mainly documents and pictures).

Looking for what other people do to address this issue. Automated backups to an iDisk? Once a month manual backups to an external you keep somewhere else? Some fancy custom setup with Amazon S3?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I'm currently using JungleDisk for Amazon S3. JungleDisk allows you to encrypt your files with your own key (essential for personal files IMHO), and also allows scheduled backups for whichever folders you specify. I like it better than (e.g.) Mozy as it's easier to mount the JungleDisk drive and open/copy/move individual files than with with the remote backup utilities. The cost is pretty small unless you have a really large backup set that you access a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.