Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On Monday, Mozilla released the latest beta version of Firefox 3.1. This "Beta 2" version of the popular web browser adds a number of new features across all supported platforms including:

- Private Browsing Mode
- Faster JavaScript engine
- Improved rendering
- Support for new web technologies.

But one feature unique to the Mac build is support for Apple's multi-touch trackpad which has been shipping in notebooks since January of this year. While Apple's Safari supports multi-touch gestures for common web browsing tasks (back, forward, resize text), support had been absent from Firefox. Experimental Firefox support for the multi-touch trackpad was first introduced in a pre-Beta build back in October by Mozilla's Edward Lee. The changes have since made it into the official Beta 2 released on Monday and is expected to be released with the final 3.1 version of Firefox.

Supported gestures include ("Swipe" refers to 3-finger Swipe):

- Swipe Left: Go back in history [press Cmd to open it in a tab]
- Swipe Right: Go forwards in history
- Swipe Up: Go to the top of the page
- Swipe Down: Go to the end of the page
- Pinch Together: Zoom out
- Pinch Apart: Zoom in
- Twist Right: Next tab
- Twist Left: Previous tab

Mozilla warns that the beta version of Firefox is intended for testing use only. There's no known release date for the final release of 3.1

Article Link: Latest Firefox 3.1 Beta Adds Multi-Touch Support

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it's nice. Once you get used to the multi-touch gestures, it's hard to go back.

arn

MD5Hash

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
عمّان, ا&#1604
How comfortable is the "twisting" motion? Out of all of those things, the main ones I'd do are jump around tabs and go back, and if twisting is going to be a common task now, how annoying is it going to be if you're doing it constantly for long periods of time?

(note: obviously, I do not have an apple laptop :p)

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
What really sucks is going from a computer with gestures to one without it. Then it's like 'how do I scroll if I can't swipe with two fingers?'

Beanlok

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
- Twist Right: Next tab
- Twist Left: Previous tab

this needs to be included with the next safari update No questions asked!

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Already using all these gestures in Safari via Multiclutch.

Although CMD+swipe left to go back in a new tab was a new one on me. Just tried it in Safari, and it works.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Are there any other new web technologies than multi-touch that firefox doesn't already support? Since my Mac doesn't support multi-touch, should I even bother to download this update?

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
What really sucks is going from a computer with gestures to one without it. Then it's like 'how do I scroll if I can't swipe with two fingers?'

Scroll with two fingers has been available for years... it's not just part of the latest macs. It's basically the mouse scroll wheel (on non-macs this is done with a special area on the trackpad using one finger normally).

I'd played with the wife's new macbook and I think multitouch has gone too far with these.. 3 fingers? twisting? That's not remotely intuitive or easy to perform (twisting your hand to do stuff is very uncomfortable in fact if you need to twist more than a few degrees).

AdionC

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Scroll with two fingers has been available for years... it's not just part of the latest macs. It's basically the mouse scroll wheel (on non-macs this is done with a special area on the trackpad using one finger normally).

I'd played with the wife's new macbook and I think multitouch has gone too far with these.. 3 fingers? twisting? That's not remotely intuitive or easy to perform (twisting your hand to do stuff is very uncomfortable in fact if you need to twist more than a few degrees).
Once you get used to it, 3 finger swiping actually works very well for me.
Twisting is indeed uncomfortable to do, but it also works if you move one finger up and one finger down, you don't actually have to do a rotation.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Firefox 3.1b2 is insanely fast and very stable for a beta. No problems at all with it outside of some extensions not working.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England

I wholeheartedly agree. Going to a laptop that doesn't have two finger scrolling makes you stop and go... "ehh?". And with three finger swiping, I've managed to rid my Safari chrome of the now-useless back/forward buttons!

safari_toolbar.png

And it makes those laptops with nipple joysticks in the middle of the keyboard look comical (not that they weren't already).

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI

arn

Arn you are so right on this... I've been using the beta since it was an alpha and its been amazing watching it mature. I use three finger swipes (left, right, up and down) all the time and two finger scrolling like it was my job. I have been known to try and two finger scroll on multiple computers that don't have multi-touch, mostly PCs. haha, silly PCs!

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
- Swipe Up: Go to the top of the page
- Swipe Down: Go to the end of the page
Is it possible to configure this to have
- Swipe Up: new tab
- Swipe Down: close tab ?

Those are my mutliclutch gestures but I'd like to use the native FF gestures.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
How comfortable is the "twisting" motion? Out of all of those things, the main ones I'd do are jump around tabs and go back, and if twisting is going to be a common task now, how annoying is it going to be if you're doing it constantly for long periods of time?

(note: obviously, I do not have an apple laptop :p)

It's definitely weird at first, and second, and third, but after a while you get somewhat used to it, it's not anywhere as natural as any other multi-touch gesture,

Beanlok

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Already using all these gestures in Safari via Multiclutch.

Although CMD+swipe left to go back in a new tab was a new one on me. Just tried it in Safari, and it works.

I cant get the rotate/twist gesture to change tabs in safari can you, I mean according to this post you can but....are you sure?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Kinda like how I went to the Apple Store to check out the new iPod nanos a couple months ago. I turned it to landscape to see the cover flow view and then proceeded to swipe my finger across the screen to move the album covers. Nothing happened until I realized that I had been spoiled by my first gen iPhone.

Damn you Apple! You get us used to technology in some items but it's a PIA for us when you use something as antiquated as 12 months old, like your laptop, that doesn't have a certain tech feature!!!!!! ;)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
it's better to use multitouch for this time being.

can't beat:

swipe up : new tab
swipe down: go to the next tab
zoom out: close tab
zoom in: go to home

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree. Going to a laptop that doesn't have two finger scrolling makes you stop and go... "ehh?". And with three finger swiping, I've managed to rid my Safari chrome of the now-useless back/forward buttons!

safari_toolbar.png

I would like to do this as well; the only thing keeping me from removing the back/forward button is that when I'm in a pdf document (inside safari), of some reason backward swipe doesn't work, but the back button still does of course.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Personally, I can't stand to web browse without buttons on my mouse programmed for my browser (especially the forward and back buttons, but I use others too). I guess this sort of serves as the laptop equivalent of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.