Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samij586

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I've accidently ruined the rubber gasket that goes around the perimeter of my macbook air screen, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that I could buy a replacement. I've checked ifixit and ebay with no luck, and the Apple Store quoted a ridiculous price to fix it.

So far it is looking like my cheapest bet will be to buy an entire clamshell off of ebay, but before I do that, I wanted to make sure that know one knew of a better solution.

samij586

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Fairly long story, but in brief heat damage warped the hell out of it. Everything else is in perfect condition, but the gasket is permanently out of commission. I am confident however that i don't need anything besides the gasket itself to fix it, the clamshell itself wasn't damaged at all.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Can anyone direct me to a place that is willing to sell me the gasket or seal around the screens perimeter on the macbook air.

If you have any solid leads or advice to get a hold of this part please comment.

Thanks for your help

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
This is for my brother, and we did give ifixit a ring last week, they couldn’t help us unfortunately.

Wondering if anyone has similar places that might have leads on one?
Looking around the net, and not finding too many places as of yet.

seems like a hard item to come by

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Can anyone direct me to a place that is willing to sell me the gasket or seal around the screens perimeter on the macbook air.

If you have any solid leads or advice to get a hold of this part please comment.

Thanks for your help

Just curious, what happened to yours? I have a Macbook Air.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Like I said this is for my brother, so this is what I was told…
It was by no means a factory defect, but what happened was he took the screen out to do the apple backlight icon mod (old school rainbow celluloid insert), and when the screen is put back together, apparently the adhesive doesn’t like to go a second round,. So he heated the piece up (not sure which as I never saw it) that the adhesive was attached to, and this melted/ruined the seal so it doesn’t look factory anymore…
But the apple icon is pretty I will admit, not worth the damaged seal IMO, but nice none the less.
The closest thing I have been able to find is the entire screen assembly which includes the rubber gasket. This seems like a spendy wrought, as all that is needed is a small rubber gasket…

So just trying to find somewhere that might be able to locate just the gasket.

Thanks for any tips guys, very nice of you to take the time to comment on such a strange request. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Brave people. Sorry but it is not worth voiding my warranty to have a rainbow on any Mac. :)

tammyjane

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
Macbook Pro 15" needs gasket thing too

I have a Macbook Pro 15" unibody and need the gasket that goes around the entire screen. If I can't find one, then my Mac is unusale. Mine got ruined trying to replace the LCD and it melted when heating to remove glass.
Does anyone know where to get one???? I could cry!

chappieus

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Gasket

I am in process of replacinge the screen in my appleair 11.6 and appart from wishing to replace the gasket also I am wondering what glue to use for the bezel. It seemthat some of the old gasket has stuck to the bezeland needs to be cleaned off bfore replcament. I saw that some have used super glue but fear that would result in damage if a second removal was necessary. Any advice welcome.

eagetrubber

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
screen gasket

I've accidently ruined the rubber gasket that goes around the perimeter of my macbook air screen, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that I could buy a replacement. I've checked ifixit and ebay with no luck, and the Apple Store quoted a ridiculous price to fix it.

So far it is looking like my cheapest bet will be to buy an entire clamshell off of ebay, but before I do that, I wanted to make sure that know one knew of a better solution.

Garage Door Bottom Weather Seal / Weatherstrip
Supply “Garage Door Bottom Weather Seal /Weatherstrip” of the below feature :
Using Germany technic, capability is better than all traditional seal strip.2. Outstanding performance of sound insulation and reducing noise.3. Excellent capability of keeping heat and saving energy.4. Not reaction with all lacquer or cleanser.5. Perfect flexibility in cold condition.6. The color and specification can be customized according to customer
Advantage of our Garage Door Bottom Weather Seal /Weatherstrip EPDM &Silicone rubber :
-Open the mold as per the exact CAD ,Pro-E,Or Solid Works drawing,then use the pure rubber good quality formular,well control from Eaget Rubber Group during the extruding Process .
-Excellent Flexible,Good hand feel ,and Environmental Import Rubber material guarantee more than 10 years serve life
-Strong Packing for Export Rubber seals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.