Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solarisc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Hello everyone,

I just transferred my files and folders from my powerbook g4 which also runs leopard. Besides some programs were transferred to my application folder. I don't know where the rest went?

Also my bookmarks from firefox, safari, printers set up etc etc. Didn't seem to transfer at all. How do I clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

Now, the migration assistant program was successfully exicuted. which took about 2 hours total.

Please help

Thanks much

S

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Hello everyone,

I just transferred my files and folders from my powerbook g4 which also runs leopard. Besides some programs were transferred to my application folder. I don't know where the rest went?

Also my bookmarks from firefox, safari, printers set up etc etc. Didn't seem to transfer at all. How do I clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

Now, the migration assistant program was successfully exicuted. which took about 2 hours total.

Please help

Thanks much

S

When I did this everything transferred; my bookmarks, my files, my programs, EVERYTHING. Everything was exactly where it was before except now I was using 10.5 instead of 10.4.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
did you only choose to transfer the Applications? this is one of the options. run Migration Assistant again and choose to transfer user or home folder (can't remember which) which includes application settings (for bookmarks, etc.)

solarisc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
did you only choose to transfer the Applications? this is one of the options. run Migration Assistant again and choose to transfer user or home folder (can't remember which) which includes application settings (for bookmarks, etc.)

i chose to transferred everything under the sun. I know they are here in the new computer, some where but i don't know where to find the easily. I could do like spotlight search but i want them to go the right place, document to document and desktop to desktop etc. I want just to clone my old hard drive to the new one.

thanks for your time

nyutnyut

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
i chose to transferred everything under the sun. I know they are here in the new computer, some where but i don't know where to find the easily. I could do like spotlight search but i want them to go the right place, document to document and desktop to desktop etc. I want just to clone my old hard drive to the new one.

thanks for your time

i had the same problem, where i was at a loss where my files from my G5 were, on my new MBP. turns out it creates your old user on your new computer. you must relog onto that old user, so instead of using the new user, i created when i started up my MBP, i am using my old User profile, that migration assistant created.

then in the system preferences, under users (i think) you can choose, to make the old user profile your default. i haven't looking into getting rid of the New unused profile yet, but since i'm using the old one, it's probably a good idea (although, not necessary)

hope this helps.

solarisc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
thank you for your response.

and now i was able to log into my other account yet most of the apps on the dock are not transferred over although i told the computer to transfer all the apps in the application folder.

what could go wrong earlier?

thanks again

nyutnyut

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
thank you for your response.

and now i was able to log into my other account yet most of the apps on the dock are not transferred over although i told the computer to transfer all the apps in the application folder.

what could go wrong earlier?

thanks again

hmm. this i'm not sure. all of my apps transferred over no problem, and the dock was pretty much the same as it was on my old computer.

are none of the apps in your application folder? did you see the apps go through the migration assistant process?

macbookpro.

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Hello everyone,

Please help

Thanks much

S

if you're on a macbook pro you can press command key + F and type in whatever you're looking for and the system will find it for you.
if you want to see all the file you have transferred, you can type the username of the computer you transferred your files from.
hope that helped :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.