Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juice831

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
Hello, I am making plans to visit rural parts of Mexico in a couple of weeks so I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this situation and their iPhone 3G coverage? I have done some research and found the AT&T Mexico plan and have also found out that AT&T is partners with Telcel in Mexico. So another question I have is would I be using the Telcel coverage while I am in Mexico? I looked up some locations on the Telcel site and have found that most only offer TDMA coverage, would my iPhone support that or would I need to get an older phone? Thanks in advance!

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Being from Mexico myself, iPhone 3G will work fine in any of those areas. Telcel's network is actually quite good (their prices and service aren't). Only thing is that you'll only get 3G in the major cities, in the rest of the country you'll only get Edge.

juice831

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
When I checked the Telcel site, it said only TDMA service existed where I was gonna be. This site is where I got my information, Guanajuato > Acambaro > El Sauz and I'm also visiting Gaitan & Acambaro. Acambaro is the only one that offers GSM/GPRS/TDMA so I'm guessing that one will work for sure but I'm not sure if just TDMA is supported by the iPhone 3G.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
So do those of us with AT&T in the US have to pay extra while using our phones in Mexico? I'm traveling to Cancun next month.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Of course you pay for international roaming outside of US border, it's common sense...

Anyhow, if rural areas of Mexico can get 3G service, something is seriously wrong with AT&T's network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.