Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Ford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows of a medium size database application for the Mac that is similiar to the Mac.

My wife is starting a consulting business and has asked me to help with the invoicing and receivables. I know that there are packages out there to do that already but I was thinking about building my own for a start. The problem is that she does not want her immidiate manager to know her rate but said manager has to sign off on the hours worked. I dont want to have to create a special invoice all the time like I did for the first one.

I have two questions really:
1. is there an Access equivalent for the Mac. If I had this I could build the resume from scratch exactly as I need it then just run it once a month.

or

2. Is there a inexpensive business application that has many different types of invoices with one that will show hours and not calculate the rate? I am doing a trial of Billings but it does not seem to do what I need though it is quite easy to use.

Thanks all. You all rock harder than Pantera :p

M.Ford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I can try the trial and I did search the forums before I posted. I am not sure about the ability to create forms easily and if everything is self contained like Access. That is what I really need to be able to do. I generally hate Access but for what I need, it excels. Though I could, I don't want to make something with MySQL because I dont have the time to invest. Also, I am not sure about the price but I might be able to do that.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I've been looking forever for a good Access Database clone for mac. There's not one.

There are some okay flat file, but as for relational, nothing that works the same or similarly.

OpenOffice doesn have one, but it's definitely different, and not as easy to setup.

Filemaker is okay, but much more difficult to learn in my opinion.

Bento (also by the folks who make filemaker) is okay too, but is a single user db only. No ability to export for web use, or connect to a web db, or set it up for network multi-user enviro.

There's one called iList data, but the forms design isn't that good, and setting it up is also very different from Access.

I'd say if you have to use Apple, do it with MySQL or with Open Office, just realize that OO is different.

Best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.