Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I just sent the following Enhancement Request to Apple (via this web form):

Hello,

I'd like to be able to set "quiet" hours for my iPhone, allowing it do all of the great things that it does, but keeping it from waking me (or my wife) at 3am to let me know that I got a new email or SMS.

I'd like it still play the alarm that I've set (as I use iPhone as my regular alarm clock) and I definitely want it to wake me up if someone calls (as anyone who calls me after-hours usually has a damn good reason), but I don't want to be jolted away every time I get an email or SMS.

The interface could be similar to the alarm clock, allowing me to set a "Quiet Time", then allowing me to select which sounds or notifications should fire off while in that particular Quiet Time. Like alarms, I could have several saved and configured, turning them on or off as necessary and setting them to repeat for various days or nights of the week.

I look forward to seeing what your engineering teams can build to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Chris Brightwell

Would anyone here be interested in something like this? Have you found a reasonable workaround for something like this?

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
i had an old nokia phone years ago that could change sound schemes automatically with time. i did exactly that for nighttime and classes. i loved it!

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I would love this feature and it is one of the most things I missed about my pocketpc phone. It was an app that did just that, I can't remember the name, something like alert. You could create many profiles and each profile you would give a start / end time and the days or say work or weekend and then customize all the rings / alerts for that time. I had one for work that would make the ring vibrate and not notify on emails (because I was in front of my computer), then had one for night that would ring, etc. Also had one for Sunday during church hours that put everything on vibrate automatically for that time.

- James

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
This is a good idea. It seems to me though that since most people haven't really thought about this that it is not all that important feature. Sure, people would probably use it if it were available, but I don't think most people thought this is a missing feature.

Great idea though!

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
This would also be great for students/professionals who are in and out of classrooms/offices throughout differnet times of the day.

I would definitely use it.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Other than the very specific "I'm sleeping, but would like to hear calls but not text messages" scenario, I can't imagine how the silent switch wouldn't suffice (especially when it comes to work/school).

I doubt you'll see this from Apple, cause it's too granular. Once you let people tweak some things, MORE people will want to tweak MORE things. Give someone a day timer, and someone else will say the feature is useless unless it has weekday/weekend cycles. Then someone else will want Meeting/Outdoor/Loud profiles. Then someone else will want .... and so on.

While I think most ideas are good ideas, I just don't see Apple doing this. Any more than all the other "But my BlackBerry can ... " ideas.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I like the idea.

I read a similar thread yester from a student who wanted to be able to set quite times while in class and almost every response was a flame telling him was lazy for not manually changing the ringer volume,, Much more reasonable thread this time.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I doubt you'll see this from Apple, cause it's too granular.

I thought for a while before submitting the idea to Apple, so this came to mind. I figured it couldn't hurt to at least throw the idea into the right place, though.

If it doesn't come about, I'll find a way to live with it. It's just one of those things that, at least in my opinion, should already be there.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I totally agree man. There's all kinds of little things about the iPhone that could stand to be ironed out.

But, from what I've seen, Apple likes painting with broad strokes - they don't like presenting the user with screen after screen of toggles and settings.

Now, if we could just get Terminal.app for the iPhone from Apple ....... ;)

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have thought of something similar to this. I wanted to be able to set a Profile for when I am home (Push Off, 3G Off, Wifi On), school (Push On, 3G On, Wifi Off) and work (Push Off, Wifi Off, 3G on).

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Chatteremail for the Treo used to have a 'sleep' schedule that would shut down email between whatever hours specified.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have thought of something similar to this. I wanted to be able to set a Profile for when I am home (Push Off, 3G Off, Wifi On), school (Push On, 3G On, Wifi Off) and work (Push Off, Wifi Off, 3G on).

I have wanted a feature like that ever since I got my iPhone.

At least with SBSettings I'm able to quickly change some of those settings without having to navigate through the Settings menus.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Great idea. It would be nice to turn on vibrate during work hours and then turn sound back on when away from work...

Nuc

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have wanted a feature like that ever since I got my iPhone.

At least with SBSettings I'm able to quickly change some of those settings without having to navigate through the Settings menus.

Yeah, I use SBSettings too, it's the next best thing, at least for now.

RamblinWreck

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
The lack of "Alarm Only" mode is my biggest iPhone complaint now. I hate the text or email going off in the middle of the night. Though I can sleep through the email now, the text wakes me up every time.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
ok, these may turn some of you off, as they are manual and "labour intensive", but what about:

- airplane mode
- using a pair of headphones

in both the alarm will still sound through the main speakers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.