Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I started this thread thanks to MOD blue velvet for the idea, I for one don't have the lines at all and I have never seen the lines in any store, I do think some people have them, yep they are real however I think it is a very small percentage.
Those who have a MBA that is perfect, like to hear your thoughts.

T

The Toddfather

I, too am line free. I have the 1.86 GHz 128 SSD, week 44.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I've got a week 45, 128 SSD , 1.86. No lines. And have never seen them in the store either - I made a point of looking VERY closely.

Now, to be sure, like any LCD, if you examine the screen with your eyeball an inch away (or with a magnifying glass), you can see faint lines ... and, individual pixels for that matter!

Thus, I wonder how long it will be before we have someone who complains they can see these faint 'dots' (pixels) on their screen. That topic will then be bombarded when others also examine their screen with a magnifying glass and report the 'dots' and demand to have their 'defective' laptops replaced.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I am a week 44 SSD. ordered mine ... early november when the HDD version shipping date jumped to indicate an extra 3 weeks wait at least.

Shipped from Shanghai the next day - and mine is perfect.

When I got mine - was only about a week after the first SSD version started arriving to people.

So - I will say this again (i posted it earlier in another thread)

The factories in China - must have some quality control. Howerver - the Olympics were in China this summer. Anyone who was employed to check the quality of the screens probably had their heads turned to watch the olympics - and therefore many bad batches of inferior screens got through the screening process.

I guess I too am just lucky....

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Guys, you have good news and I wish that my 1.6/120 HDD won't have lines also when it is delivered this Monday but why don't you provide pictures similar the the people having lines to make it easier for people to compare?

Regards :)

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
it is very hard to shoot a screen I will try..

Attachments

• DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 880

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Well as soon as I became aware of this topic I went to my local Apple Store and checked out the one Rev B Air they had on display and it was not hard to notice the lines. I then check the Rev A and I too noticed the lines but not as easily. I came home and looked at my wifes Rev A and again I noticed lines on it again not as easy as the Rev B. Unfortunately I've since sold my Rev A so I don't know if there was any lines visible on it or not.

I've got a week 45, 128 SSD , 1.86. No lines. And have never seen them in the store either - I made a point of looking VERY closely.

Now, to be sure, like any LCD, if you examine the screen with your eyeball an inch away (or with a magnifying glass), you can see faint lines ... and, individual pixels for that matter!

Thus, I wonder how long it will be before we have someone who complains they can see these faint 'dots' (pixels) on their screen. That topic will then be bombarded when others also examine their screen with a magnifying glass and report the 'dots' and demand to have their 'defective' laptops replaced.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Ironic, how about you try to push your screen all the way back and then take a photo at around 45 degree angle?

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Ironic, how about you try to push your screen all the way back and then take a photo at around 45 degree angle?

Here you go

Left is Mine, Right is what people are saying it looks like.

Attachments

• DSC00321.jpg
    DSC00321.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 304
  • MacBook-Pro-Screen-lines.jpg
    MacBook-Pro-Screen-lines.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 211

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I love my display, I also had the alum macbook, and this display is nicer, really didn't like the glass and black bezel.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
For what it's worth, even though I don't have a Macbook Air, I've tried hard at the Apple Stores and Best Buy stores I've visited to find the horizontal lines. On at least 3 different rev A machines and 2 different rev B machines I couldn't find any lines no matter what angle or how close I put my nose to the screen.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
For what it's worth, even though I don't have a Macbook Air, I've tried hard at the Apple Stores and Best Buy stores I've visited to find the horizontal lines. On at least 3 different rev A machines and 2 different rev B machines I couldn't find any lines no matter what angle or how close I put my nose to the screen.
I did the same thing as I want to see the problem and then I might understand the problem much better, but yet to find one.

arkhe

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Place of purchase?

Hello

Besides McGilli, who else has ordered from the online store and who has purchased from a store (and which one, if you don't mind adding)?

arkhe

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Mall of America

I did the same thing as I want to see the problem and then I might understand the problem much better, but yet to find one.

Ironic,

Don't know where you are located but I was there for Thanksgiving weekend and the sole Rev. B had the issue. They had a 1.6 Rev. A beside it and a unibody MacBook across from it, so it was easy to compare.

Of course, they could have swapped out the floor model by now, so... :)

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I find it interesting too that a few people who have lines on their screens indicate that they get bad headaches when using the computer. It only seems to be a few people - but is that because their issue is severe, or they are just more temperamental? If it was a refresh rate issue I would understand it more - but onthe flip side :

When I am sick with a bad, bad cold - i CANNOT look at a lcd screen - whether it is a computer, or my LCD tv because it makes my head ache. and that is with all lcd devices that are operating normally and I can normally view without issue.

Lines on a creen? looks like parchment etc? then fine - you CAN look at that forever without getting headaches. headaches, while healthy seem to indicate something in the cycle of the lcd refresh rate - and not a processing defect of the screen material.

If everyone said we have lines - but that is it - no headaches - then i would say it is a defect in the processing of some of the screens.

but some people say they have headaches - and 'lines' don't cause headaches... unless u get a headache from looking at a paper notepad....

swede123

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
I find it interesting too that a few people who have lines on their screens indicate that they get bad headaches when using the computer. It only seems to be a few people - but is that because their issue is severe, or they are just more temperamental? If it was a refresh rate issue I would understand it more - but onthe flip side :

When I am sick with a bad, bad cold - i CANNOT look at a lcd screen - whether it is a computer, or my LCD tv because it makes my head ache. and that is with all lcd devices that are operating normally and I can normally view without issue.

Lines on a creen? looks like parchment etc? then fine - you CAN look at that forever without getting headaches. headaches, while healthy seem to indicate something in the cycle of the lcd refresh rate - and not a processing defect of the screen material.

If everyone said we have lines - but that is it - no headaches - then i would say it is a defect in the processing of some of the screens.

but some people say they have headaches - and 'lines' don't cause headaches... unless u get a headache from looking at a paper notepad....

Mine has barely noticable lines. I do get a headache after a while though. It has to do with the picture feeling "slightly out of focus" if that makes any sense, due to the lines i guess. The flicker test picture in some other thread does flicker also, that might be the cause. Still deciding if i'm gonna get it replaced as i got the free SSD upgrade...

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Oh no, Ironic not only has horizontal lines but vertical lines! Joking aside... photos of perfect ones can be nice, never actually seen one. Ironic's one looks a bit too zoomed up and detailed, can even see every line of the cell.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Oh no, Ironic not only has horizontal lines but vertical lines! Joking aside... photos of perfect ones can be nice, never actually seen one. Ironic's one looks a bit too zoomed up and detailed, can even see every line of the cell.
First i shoot one farther away, then they wanted a macro, now you say its to close:rolleyes:
The last picture is just like the one posted with the lines same angle, if I had them they would show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.