Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hello

For the last few weeks my camera has been 'eating' photos (meaning i take photos and then they're not saved, but the memory is taken up) and has been acting really weird. On several times I have lost batches of photos that have been taken, anyway last night it just kept saying Format Error on the camera screen and when plugged into my MacBook it says "Disk Insertion, not readabled..."
So I used PhotoResuce and got all the photos i had thought I had lost :D So EXCITED

Anyway, I'm heading to an exclusive party tonight, and I need someone to tell me how to reformat the memory card.

HELP. THANKS.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Format it FAT. Use the Disk Utility in /applications/utilities/ and your card will be newly formatted.

Or buy a new one... weird disks aren't always reliable.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Format it FAT. Use the Disk Utility in /applications/utilities/ and your card will be newly formatted.

Or buy a new one... weird disks aren't always reliable.

Ok done that. But when I turned the camera on now, it flashes "Format Error" or the screen and nothing happens.

Any idea how to fix this?

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I'd round-file it and get a new one. Camera cards aren't worth tearing your hair out.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
In Disk Utility, select the card and head over to the PARTITION tab. Go to the Volume Scheme pull down menu and select 1 partition. This will unlock the other options in the windows and allow you to click the OPTIONS button at the bottom. If it is not selected as Master Boot Record, select that option and click OK. Then, go to the Format pull down menu on the right side and select MS-DOS and then apply the settings at the bottom.

This is how most flash drives/cards are formatted for use on both systems. However, this does it in FAT-32 when the camera might need FAT-16 (for some odd reason, I have no idea). After that, try to have the Camera format the card from its internal options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.