Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB:eek::eek:
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?:confused:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips

You have a good point. They could internally install 2 of them (or more) and we could have a 128GB iPhone tomorrow.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008

what they could do is install them onto the logicboard, but hide them so we can't take them out, etc. solder then etc.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006

I dont think you really understand the technology behind this... :eek:

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Explain then

Apple uses NAND Flash chips in their flash memory products, this is not to be mistaken with RAM (Random Access Memory that you put in your computer which is volatile). NAND Flash memory is the standard for SSD technology.
A SD Card actually uses NAND memory.

So when you say "outdated big RAM chips" you are mistaken, as it is the latest technology on the market.

The size of the iPod touch, iPhone, iPod Nano, etc is more to do with the battery and other internal components than the memory being used.

Hope that helps a little bit... :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I dont really think the read/write times on SD cards compares to the type of chips that go into a product like the iphone.

Doesnt that kinda just seem cheap? SD cards in something that otherwise uses these beauties:

8GBflash.jpg

Im quite sure there are more technical reasons than this however.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I think it's mostly comes down to ease of use. If you could swap memory cards willy nilly, then the iPhone has to keep track of multiple music/video libraries or what song is one was card, etc...

Granted they could allow you to manually manage this in iTunes, but it still adds a level of complexity.

I'd still love it, since on long trips 16GB might not hold all my traveling videos. I know on my 8GB iPhone I had to refresh during a 3 week trip, but it'd be nice not to have to haul a laptop along just to refresh my videos on my iPhone. :)

Another reason, of course, is Apple wants you to buy their 16GB iPhone from them instead of a 8GB iPhoen and micro SD cards from other people. :(

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I dont think you really understand the technology behind this... :eek:

Apple uses NAND Flash chips in their flash memory products, this is not to be mistaken with RAM (Random Access Memory that you put in your computer which is volatile). NAND Flash memory is the standard for SSD technology.
A SD Card actually uses NAND memory.

So when you say "outdated big RAM chips" you are mistaken, as it is the latest technology on the market.

The size of the iPod touch, iPhone, iPod Nano, etc is more to do with the battery and other internal components than the memory being used.

Hope that helps a little bit... :)

they didnt mean ram chips, they are talking about the storage memory chips in the iphone and others, not the ram.

I believe they dont use microSD because they are too slow? I could be mistaken but i believe that is the reason.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
yea guys, hes not talking about expandable memory, hes saying the internals.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
I think it's mostly comes down to ease of use. If you could swap memory cards willy nilly, then the iPhone has to keep track of multiple music/video libraries or what song is one was card, etc...

Granted they could allow you to manually manage this in iTunes, but it still adds a level of complexity.

:(

THIS is the correct reason why!!

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008

I'd still love it, since on long trips 16GB might not hold all my traveling videos. I know on my 8GB iPhone I had to refresh during a 3 week trip, but it'd be nice not to have to haul a laptop along just to refresh my videos on my iPhone. :)

Another reason, of course, is Apple wants you to buy their 16GB iPhone from them instead of a 8GB iPhoen and micro SD cards from other people. :(
No it comes down to Apple wanting to control every damn thing!:mad:
64 GB micro SD cards are perfect and fast enough to be used in iphone!

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
they didnt mean ram chips, they are talking about the storage memory chips in the iphone and others, not the ram.

I believe they dont use microSD because they are too slow? I could be mistaken but i believe that is the reason.
Slow? a 16GB micro SD card worked very very fast on on my roommates Storm! it even sync'd with itunes!
After seeing this, i thought apple needs to put in a replaceable battery and user removeable storage!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Slow? a 16GB micro SD card very on on my roommate Storm! it even sync'd with itunes!
After seeing this, i thought apple needs to put in a replaceable battery and user removeable storage!

So this whole time youve been talking about removeable media?

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
That's a pretty bold statement right there my friend, no need to blow up here.

Yet, there is very little evidence to the contrary. Indeed, Apple is quite controlling.

As people here have pointed out, it's planned obsolescence so you can buy the next shiny Apple product rather than upgrading later in life.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
So this whole time youve been talking about removeable media?

Thats what a micro SD card is used for :)

its just after see my roommates Storm with the upgradeable memory it got me thinking! Apple should give in and just use micro sd chips.
My roommate now has a 32GB Storm, which can be upgrade to 64GB after a firmware upgrade

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

Well if they allowed us to use SD cards, there would be no need to come out with a 32GB iPhone soon and then in another year, possible a bigger phone. They want our money plain and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.