Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kris88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hi guys,

Quick run down of the problem... been using my macbook now for nearly 2 years, have never encountered this until yesterday (and it was completely random, or seemingly) - When i click to open safari, it just bobs up and down continuously in the dock not opening, but still bobbing. Eventually it says application not responding and the usual pop up comes on and asks if i want to report the problem.

I can hold my own in most things to do with a mac, but i'm at a total loss!

Please help, i really need the browser (and also worried if its a deeper problem than that!)

Many thanks in advance

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The most common cause of this issue is corrupted cache files. These are perfectly safe to delete, since Safari will recreate them as needed.

Your Safari cache is located in ~/Library/Caches in either (or sometimes both) the Safari folder and/or the com.apple.Safari folder. (~ is your home folder.)

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I deleted what was said, yet I'm still coming up with the same problem as the first poster.

Anyone have a resolution?

G-Com

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
North of The 'Nati
Launch Disk Utility and repair permissions. In that doesn't work, restart, hold down Command+S to go into single user mode, when type stops, type /sbin/fsck/ -fy and hit enter. If all that fails, try an install-in-place of OS X. The last resort is a complete reinstall of OS X. Or you can just download Firefox.

pepsipopup

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
He Can't Download Firefox!!!

Or you can just download Firefox.

How would he download Firefox if Safari doesn't open? he must not have another browser because he would just open that browser and download safari again OR just use that browser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.