Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thienan

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
It works!

It works! Using the kext from macvn may work, but it is an older kext from 10.5.5. Instead, I think the safest way to do it is this:

Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file, then make a copy for modifying. In this copy, open its Contents and inside Info.plist, browse to Root/IOKitPersonalities/

There will be entries called WSTrackpad*, add this under all of those entries:
Code:
<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<true/>
<key>TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners</key>
<true/>
Repair disk permissions, reboot. Done. It shows up in System Preferences too. That's it!

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
worked great in Macbook Air Rev.A, but needed to Repair Permissions ...

After a Reboot, trackpad and keyboard didn`t work, so i rebooted through mac osx install disc and repaired the permisions ... so on worked loke a charm ...

Thanks. :D

Now there is a Chess.app in my applications folder that wasn`t there before ... and it doen`t start, maybe the files are missed ... any clue ?

Thanks.

I doubt the chess.app appearing has anything to do with you replacing the kext. maybe using the install disk? or updating to 10.5.6?

Repair permissions using disk utility before rebooting to avoid problems with kb/tp not working (if you're going to just copy in the kext downloaded from macvn).

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
It works! Using the kext from macvn may work, but it is an older kext from 10.5.5. Instead, I think the safest way to do it is this:

Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file, then make a copy for modifying. In this copy, open its Contents and inside Info.plist, browse to Root/IOKitPersonalities/

There will be entries called WSTrackpad*, add this under all of those entries:
Code:
<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<true/>
<key>TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners</key>
<true/>
Repair disk permissions, reboot. Done. It shows up in System Preferences too. That's it!

If you backed up AppleUSBMultitouch.kext and are editing the original I think you only need to flush the cache bc the permissions are already set.

If you are editing a new copy I think you may need to set permissions (Get Info, set to System Read/Write). Then flush cache and reboot. You won't need to run the Disk Utility repair permissions I think.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Modified Kext

Here's the 10.5.6 modified kext for those that are still confused as to how to edit it.

Follow the same instructions as the old one:

Copy, backup, or rename the old .kext (system/library/extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext)

Move in the new one.

Restore permissions (Disk Utility - Repair permissions)

Reboot.

Attachments

• AppleUSBMultitouch.kext.10.5.6.zip
    399.7 KB · Views: 18,507

john-

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Here's the 10.5.6 modified kext for those that are still confused as to how to edit it.

Copy, backup, or rename the old .kext (system/library/extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext)

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

can i use this one for a macbook air, too?

trucrypt

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I just tried using the other method (manually editing Info.plist from 10.5.6's AppleUSBMultitouch.kext). I only edited in TrackpadFourFingerGestures since TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners seems kind of useless.

The Trackpad prefpane now plays a different video showing off the four finger gestures with the old non-glass Trackpad (note the button in the attached image). Why would Apple make a video of this when the feature isn't even available without some minor tweaks?

Attachments

• oldtrackpad.jpg
    oldtrackpad.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 295

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

Thanks for the instruction and kext file.

Works as claimed!

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
can i use this one for a macbook air, too?

I'm fairly certain you can. No guarantees. Otherwise I would manually edit it.

You could take a look at the plist.info inside the kext (view package contents and look for the file plist.info) and compare it to the one you have already.. if the entries are the same (the ones that contain "trackpad*") in name then the kext is probably the same for the MBA also.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I just tried using the other method (manually editing Info.plist from 10.5.6's AppleUSBMultitouch.kext). I only edited in TrackpadFourFingerGestures since TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners seems kind of useless.

The Trackpad prefpane now plays a different video showing off the four finger gestures with the old non-glass Trackpad (note the button in the attached image). Why would Apple make a video of this when the feature isn't even available without some minor tweaks?

That's sorta funny/interesting.

Disregarding the video, they probably dont want to make the feature available for older MBPs not just to promote the new ones, but bc the older MBP's trackpad is a little small to be using four-finger swipes (in any direction, up down left right). But the fact that the video is in there (which looks like the MBA trackpad) is interesting.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

Thanks!! It works perfectly on my Macbook Pro early 2008 model!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I only edited in TrackpadFourFingerGestures since TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners seems kind of useless.
You can still turn it off in the prefpane, though.

Don't the new MBAs have the "old" trackpad and the new gestures?

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

I just replaced mine using this file. It works great.

At first I forgot to repair permissions, so my keyboard and mouse didn't work at all. I restarted in safe mode (hold shift when starting up until the Apple logo and the spinning icon are both showing). I then repaired permissions and restarted. Everything is working now.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
riiiight...

If this is true, I can't understand why. First the non-multitouch MBs and MBPs could not get pinching, swiping, etc. even with a software tweak. Then, the early-2008 MBPs do get multitouch with a hardware update. NOW, the multitouch MBPs can't even get added gestures to the existing multitouch hardware? Insane.

waaaahhhhh!!!!! waaaahhh!!!

Seriously, IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE.

If you want the latest technology, you have to buy the latest model. Welcome to the world.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
waaaahhhhh!!!!! waaaahhh!!!

Seriously, IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE.

If you want the latest technology, you have to buy the latest model. Welcome to the world.

Wrong.

Well, wrong here. but right about the rest of it.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

Thanks! Why didn't anyone do this sooner? It didn't work at first when I tried to fix permissions with disk utility, but I tried again with Onyx and it worked like a charm.

Gian-Pa

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Malaga
Why I can't activate the 4 fingers trackpad gestures?

I've got a MacBookPro3,1 (bought in dic 2007)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version: 1.16f10

Leopard 10.5.6

I checked the original kext and it has the TrackpadFourFingerGestures already as True...

I've tried with the modded kext, repaired permissions, cleared cache, but no success :(

any suggestions?

Move in the new one.

Reboot.

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    83 KB · Views: 206

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
In Really Deep Trouble (Keyboard and Trackpad not responding

Thanks! Why didn't anyone do this sooner? It didn't work at first when I tried to fix permissions with disk utility, but I tried again with Onyx and it worked like a charm.

Ok I am having major issues now. My Keyboard and Trackpad are totally dead now. When I copied over AppleUSBMultitouch.kext and rebooted, my trackpad's multitouch died. I re-copied the file over and rebooted, and then my keyboard and trackpad stopped working. I had to connect a USB Keyboard and Mouse to be able to log in. I tried re-copying the file again and repaired permissions in normal and safe mode and nothing is working.

I am freaking out ATM and need some help. PLEASE help me out if you can. I have a Mid 2008 MBP (bought in June 2008). If someone can share their old AppleUSBMultitouch.kewt, I would really appreciate it.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Your MacBook Pro does not support trackpad gestures of any kind other than two-finger scrolling and right-click.

The only models of Apple notebooks that support 3- or 4-finger gestures are:

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (Late 2008)
MacBook (Late 2008)

Your model MacBook Pro lacks a multitouch controller chip on the trackpad allowing for the new gestures. No amount of software hacking will help in your case, as your hardware simply does not support the gestures.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Leopard 10.5.6

I checked the original kext and it has the TrackpadFourFingerGestures already as True...

I've tried with the modded kext, repaired permissions, cleared cache, but no success :(

any suggestions?

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
You can simply reapply the 10.5.6 update to restore normal keyboard and trackpad functionality. It will have to be the 10.5.6 combo update, however.

Ok I am having major issues now. My Keyboard and Trackpad are totally dead now. When I copied over AppleUSBMultitouch.kext and rebooted, my trackpad's multitouch died. I re-copied the file over and rebooted, and then my keyboard and trackpad stopped working. I had to connect a USB Keyboard and Mouse to be able to log in. I tried re-copying the file again and repaired permissions in normal and safe mode and nothing is working.

I am freaking out ATM and need some help. PLEASE help me out if you can. I have a Mid 2008 MBP (bought in June 2008). If someone can share their old AppleUSBMultitouch.kewt, I would really appreciate it.

impakt1

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Leopard 10.5.6

any suggestions?

To me that doesn't look like the updated firmwire. This is what it looks like for me in 10.5.6

Correction as pointed out above that your mbp doesn't support it.

75895169jq1.png

97511343rz1.png

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
You can simply reapply the 10.5.6 update to restore normal keyboard and trackpad functionality. It will have to be the 10.5.6 combo update, however.

Thanks for the info. I have got control of my keyboard and trackpad again, but I can't do two finger scroll anymore. Everything else seems to work though. Any ideas of what I should do?

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Not sure. Back in October when I was messing around with hacking the multitouch kext file, the same thing happened to me, and what fixed it was either reapplying the latest combo update or restoring AppleUSBMultitouch.kext via my Time Machine backup.

Thanks for the info. I have got control of my keyboard and trackpad again, but I can't do two finger scroll anymore. Everything else seems to work though. Any ideas of what I should do?

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Problem with "hack" and 2-finger scrolling; Updated with solution

Not sure. Back in October when I was messing around with hacking the multitouch kext file, the same thing happened to me, and what fixed it was either reapplying the latest combo update or restoring AppleUSBMultitouch.kext via my Time Machine backup.

Damn. That sucks. It took me 3 hours to get the keyboard and trackpad working, and now the 4-finger gestures work, but not the two-finger scroll. Sucks I basically wasted all that time for nothing. And now to waste an hour to download the combo update to fix everything. : sighs:

Edit: Oh goodie. I installed the combo pack, but I can't get two-finger scrolling to work now. Anyone think they know why its not working? I don't want to have to do a fresh install of OS X to get this working. I don't even want to do a "restore install" (install that preserves user folders). : sighs: Again, if anyone can help me out, I appreciate it.

Update: Did a little searching and found a thread about scrolling suddenly not working. Seems to re-enable it, you just have to issue the following command in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write -g com.apple.trackpad.scrollBehavior 2

Reboot and you will have scrolling back. Thought I would post it here in case someone ran into the same issue I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.