Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi.

I am wondering how, if possible, to set the default "reply-to" address on Apple Mail.

I know I can manually add it to each message I compose, but that's rather cumbersome. I'd like to be able to configure Mail so every message I send out will automatically use the same "reply-to" mail address. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dai

macadmiral

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Hi.

I am wondering how, if possible, to set the default "reply-to" address on Apple Mail.

I know I can manually add it to each message I compose, but that's rather cumbersome. I'd like to be able to configure Mail so every message I send out will automatically use the same "reply-to" mail address. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dai

when composing a message click the box with three lines next to the from field, then check reply-to, then customize

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
when composing a message click the box with three lines next to the from field, then check reply-to, then customize

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that does add a "reply-to" box to the new message. Unfortunately, that is a manual process that requires me to type in the reply-in address every time I compose a message. I'd like it to be more automatic. Any other idea?

Thanks again,
Dai

Chopper9

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Bump.... does anyone know how to do this?

I am constantly responding to clients without remembering to change the FROM setting to my work account.

Would love a way to select a default.

Chronos1976

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
I use a program called MacPilot. One of its 1000 or so options is "Force Reply-to" header for Mail.app. However, it does override the user Reply-to box in the mail app itself. MacPilot is $19.95 and runs in a 15 day trial mode.

I believe MacPilot works by changing hidden system preferences, so the option should be in the mail preference file somewhere but I was unable to locate it, sorry.

scottbeckford

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
EDIT: This method used to work... doesn't seem to any more... boohoo.

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/etalwaysreplyto.htm

A Reply-To Header Not Once, Not Twice, But Always

You know how to add a "Reply-To" header to an email you are composing in Mac OS X Mail, and you do find it useful. But also cumbersome if one wants every outgoing email to carry that information — and that's what you want.

Fortunately, Mac OS X Mail has a somewhat concealed facility that lets you add any header — include a "Reply-To" line — to emails you send automatically.

Add a Reply-To Header to All Emails You Send in Mac OS X Mail

To make Mac OS X Mail add a custom "Reply-To" header line to all emails you send:

Open Terminal.
Type "defaults read com.apple.mail UserHeaders".
Press Enter.
If that command returns "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.mail, UserHeaders) does not exist":
Type "defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Reply-To" = "reply-to@address"; }'" (excluding the outermost quotation marks) and replace reply-to@address with the address you want to be used for replies.
If the "defaults read" command above returns a line of values that starts with "{" and ends in "}":
Highlight the entire line. It might read something like {Bcc = "bcc@address"; }, for example.
Press Command-C.
Type "defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '" (excluding the outer quotation marks).
Press Command-V.
Type "'".
Insert '"Reply-To" = "reply-to@address"; ' in front of the closing "}" character, replacing reply-to@address with the email address you want to be used for replies.
The line might now read defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{Bcc = "bcc@address"; "Reply-To" = "reply-to@address"; }', for example.
Press Enter.
Caution

Unfortunately, this method of adding a Reply-To header works too well in some situations. Once in place, there is no way to make Mail not append it to a particular mail. You cannot change the address while composing a message either.

To make any changes to the Reply-To header, you have to go the route of the terminal.

Disable Automatic Reply-To Headers Again in Mac OS X Mail

To turn off all "Reply-To:" headers:

Execute "defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders" at a Terminal prompt to delete all custom headers or set UserHeaders back to what it was before you added "Reply-To".

-rob-

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2016
If I have multiple email adresses in apple mail, how do I do this for only one adress?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.