Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Looks like they've improved the Sibelius integration in the score editor (not surprising I guess given the ownership), so you can now export a Sibelius score instead of a midi file.

I should say I don't use Pro Tools :p, but I use Sibelius every day and so I'm interested in how this works out in practice.

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
I'm a Pro Tools user and this has me extremely excited. The new MIDI additions are exactly the kinda thing I need for Uni. Very very excited about this update.

JC

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm pretty excited for the doubling of inserts per track, increased track counts, etc. But mostly, I'm really happy with the new UI. Definitely going to make the long sessions a little easier on the eyes.

I was watching an interview with a PT8 product manager and he's been very vocal about Auto-Delay Compensation coming for LE eventually. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm glad to see that Digi is finally opening up a bit to its end users.

UgLy KoeRner

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Toronto
Hello everyone, my question about pro tools 8 here is that, if I am going to purchase the M-box pro that I want to get soon with my new MBP 4 gig of ram, Can I also purchase this upgrade of pro tools 8 and it will work with what I am purchaseing?

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Hello everyone, my question about pro tools 8 here is that, if I am going to purchase the M-box pro that I want to get soon with my new MBP 4 gig of ram, Can I also purchase this upgrade of pro tools 8 and it will work with what I am purchaseing?

I'm pretty sure they'll be offering you a free upgrade if you purchase their product now.

kucukbasak

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
what's the best source to use to learn about PT??? from beginner's to professionals? kind of like the best tutorial?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Good to see Digidesign actually putting effort out. I still think Digital Performer is superior. Can't stand how proprietary ProTools is. It causes a lot of headaches.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Good to see Digidesign actually putting effort out. I still think Digital Performer is superior. Can't stand how proprietary ProTools is. It causes a lot of headaches.

I'd have thought that like Apple, having proprietary aspects to a product model would give less headaches (It accepts plenty of i/o BTW if you need it: Lavry, Prism, Apogee, Lynx, DAD, etc).

Although it's a very simpleton view and a huge generalization, lots of people say the same thing about PTHD as they do Macs. 'It just works'.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Although it's a very simpleton view and a huge generalization, lots of people say the same thing about PTHD as they do Macs. 'It just works'.

Not if you keep your computer software up to date or like to have the latest OS security patches.

Just do a search on the number of Pro Tools users who ask for help on reverting to an earlier version of OS X or Quicktime because Pro Tools is written in such a poor manner as to be so easily broken.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Did they mention anything about Pro Tools working with Avid Media Composer...finally?

I like how Avid is at war with everybody, even the people in the same building.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
with an install file size of around 8gb, Digi wasn't anywhere near ready for the traffic they'd receive today.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 97

GregBoccuti

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
Digi will never catch up with other software until it allows its users to use non-digi interfaces. Yes, Digi does have a large and loyal group of users out there. But just because Digi is the popular and best known name in the DAW world, doesn't mean it is the best software. Lest we forget some of the major flaws (i.e. only being able to bounce in real time, hardware limitations, etc.)

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Digi will never catch up with other software until it allows its users to use non-digi interfaces. Yes, Digi does have a large and loyal group of users out there. But just because Digi is the popular and best known name in the DAW world, doesn't mean it is the best software. Lest we forget some of the major flaws (i.e. only being able to bounce in real time, hardware limitations, etc.)

In the studio, real time bouncing isn't a flaw at all for many reasons. Hardware limitation? You can use Apogee, Lynx, Lavry, Burl, Prism, Crane Song, stock 192, 96i/o, etc.
So what have they got to catch up on?

GregBoccuti

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
I guess I should have specified.

I'm primarily a remote engineer. The company that I work for does medium to large scale remote classical and jazz concert recordings. Realtime bouncing 5 hours of hard data is awful.

I'm also not saying that Digi doesn't have its place. I use it just as much as I use Logic. All I'm saying is that I wish that people in general would be less narrow minded when it comes to thinking about DAWs

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX

I've had some huge files in nuendo, and the time it took to render the files down was a LOT longer than the actual play time...
now, this isn't an excuse for Digi, i think they should offer a non-real time render as well as real time. But they haven't yet.
Their excuse: "it's so you can use external hardware" (reverb units and such)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.