Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelffm

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Someone should really test the line and the flickering issue while running windows or linux.
Whether the issue also occurs on other OSes or not is a very important question

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Someone should really test the line and the flickering issue while running windows or linux.
Whether the issue also occurs on other OSes or not is a very important question

The issue is visible running windows, and as I said, its definetely a hardware issue. One can tell.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
My guess is that on some machines the phenomenon is faint enough that it is not noticeable to users with either poor vision or who are unaware of the defect and therefore don't focus on it.

In the meantime, I'm getting my money back and buying a macbook, which means less money in Apple's pocket.

Where the heck do you get off saying people must have poor vision if they don't see the lines? There's no need to insult people. Just because some people may not see the lines like you do doesn't mean they have poor vision. Everyone sees things in different ways.
Here's a newsflash for ya, maybe people don't really give a damn and they want to move on and USE their computer as the tool they bought it for rather than come here and pull all their hair out trying to talk an issue do death.
I'll bet at least 95% of this forum has not went to Apple's website and posted the problem in the feedback section.
Coming here and posting or calling Apple's customer service isn't going to fix the problem.

Another newsflash for you buddy, you took back your Air for a regular Macbook? It may cost Apple more to build the Air (even if it has less parts) so they may have made more money from you on the Macbook since they saved so much money on that crappy low contrast LCD used in the Macbook. :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The issue is visible running windows, and as I said, its definetely a hardware issue. One can tell.

Pretty sure it is a hardware issue too, a theory tossed out in the forums here is something dealing with the electronics of some machines and not the actual screen itself. More of some interference of sorts (don't quote me on that one). Bottom line is despite the constant bitching between people on this thread, almost the fanboys against the people who seem to have legit issues, there is something wrong, but Apple has yet to identify what it is, if they can fix it, or if they give a crap at all. :rolleyes:

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Pretty sure it is a hardware issue too, a theory tossed out in the forums here is something dealing with the electronics of some machines and not the actual screen itself. More of some interference of sorts (don't quote me on that one).

well I dont believe in this theory because of a simple reason. If I move my head up and down in front of the screen the lines are wandering up and down too (releatively to the text on the screen). IT IS an interference but it is caused by the plastic layer on the panel. By the way the same problem did appear on a couple of other laptops made by other manufacturers - as far as I know mostly if not only with Chi Mei panels. (some of these laptops were alternatively available with other panels and did not have the problem). So as long as Apple doesnt go for another supplier, we wont have a flawless screen.

p.s. pls dont argue with me that yours is perfect. i dont doubt that some units may be pefect for some people.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
IT IS an interference but it is caused by the plastic layer on the panel.

That's strange, because the problem has also been reported on a few Macbook Pros which are glass. I do agree that they will need to find another manufacturer besides C-M.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
why

Just curious for those who keep posting that have no issues with the lines.
I am very busy person and only visit this forum when I have a problem
with an apple computer product to see if other people are having the same
problem and if so are there any solutions. When I am having no problems
I spend my time using my computer for productivity. I can understand game playing surfing etc. But why would you spend your time posting on a thread when your not having a problem? What good does it do for the rest of us
accept create noise? Why would you feel insulted if someone claims its a perception problem? We all have different nervous systems with different sensitivities so what? Its amazes me how just a few people can take an informative helpful thread and turn it into their own narcassistic playground.
:confused:

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
That's strange, because the problem has also been reported on a few Macbook Pros which are glass. I do agree that they will need to find another manufacturer besides C-M.

there are problems very similar to the MBA issue - but they are not necessarily the same. the old powerbook line issue for example (pictured on the photo that you can find everywhere) was different. so I can only speak for the mba problem which I examined and I do review lots of laptops in my job.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I just got my MBA 2nd gen (1.6Ghz, HD), manufactured week 50, and can confirm that the problem still persists.

I too think that all MBAs have this issue, and the defect just isn't visible to everyone (just like running a CRT in 60hz was fine for some people). Also, the lines are mostly visible when looking at something which is bright and mostly in one color (different shades of light gray and red seem to be most prone to this). I see them constantly when browsing the web and am able to reproduce it 100% with the test image on http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html, and the flickering with http://www.keithstravels.com/travelog/photos/desktopsplit-loginscreen.jpg. Also, being in a dark room will help.

On first startup I instantly saw that something was funky with the screen but it took some time before my eyes started focusing on the lines, and once you have spotted them you will see them constantly. My eyes get really strained by reading text as the lines 'behind' the text in the bright background causes what could be best described as a 'hologram' effect, ie you get a strange 3d effect which makes it VERY hard for your eyes to stay focused on the text.

I will either take this unit back (as it also suffers from some major backlight bleeding in the top of the screen), or ask for a screen replacement later on. This is my first Mac so can they guarantee a screen replacement via phone, or should I just go for a refund?

Also, this is DEFINITELY a hardware problem; no firmware update could ever fix this. It looks like there's air bubbles/patches of air between the LCD film and the glossy screen 'glass', or rather between the LCD panel and the backlight. How could a firmware cure that? :p

Tommi

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I will either take this unit back (as it also suffers from some major backlight bleeding in the top of the screen), or ask for a screen replacement later on.
It's been noted that some in this forum have been told the grey lines are "within spec" meaning they don't think it needs fixing. Better to take care of this within refund policy.

This is my first Mac so can they guarantee a screen replacement via phone, or should I just go for a refund?
Tommi

Over thr phone means that you have to mail it in wait for them to fix and send back but repairs do get done this way.

Word of caution, no one has gotton a fixed screen back from apple.

T

The Toddfather

Trying not to break the rules...

I took my MBA to a conference today and asked people to look closely to see if they saw lines of any kind. NO ONE, I REPEAT - NO ONE of the 30+ people saw lines of any kind. Almost every single person who looked at the screen commented on how clear the screen was. To say this affects all MBA's is simply not true and shows ignorance rarely seen on this forum.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Trying not to break the rules...

I took my MBA to a conference today and asked people to look closely to see if they saw lines of any kind. NO ONE, I REPEAT - NO ONE of the 30+ people saw lines of any kind. Almost every single person who looked at the screen commented on how clear the screen was. To say this affects all MBA's is simply not true and shows ignorance rarely seen on this forum.

You sir might be correct, but have you considered this?

*) I didn't see the lines at first either, noone at my office saw them under fluoroscent lights.

*) I only managed to see them at home in a dim environment, and after they become visible you will see them all the time. I then took it to work today and asked coworkers whether they saw the lines when I pointed out where to look and then people DID see them! These are graphics artists, and THEY DIDN'T SEE THEM AT FIRST EITHER, but after a more thorough examination they DID see them.

*) People who can see the lines, to my knowledge, has not seen a SINGLE SCREEN WITHOUT THEM!

*) People who can't see the lines, to my knowledge, has not seen them on a SINGLE SCREEN!

I honestly think it is just a matter of right viewing distance, lighting and proper image on the screen. If you look at the screen from far or under a lamp or look at a very colorful image you won't see them.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
FWIW - Just received my MBA 2nd gen from Apple.com. It does have the grey lines, but similar to the ones I've seen at the Apple Store, I have to be just about up on the screen to really notice it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Good luck everyone.

T

The Toddfather

You sir might be correct, but have you considered this?

*) I didn't see the lines at first either, noone at my office saw them under fluoroscent lights.

*) I only managed to see them at home in a dim environment, and after they become visible you will see them all the time. I then took it to work today and asked coworkers whether they saw the lines when I pointed out where to look and then people DID see them! These are graphics artists, and THEY DIDN'T SEE THEM AT FIRST EITHER, but after a more thorough examination they DID see them.

*) People who can see the lines, to my knowledge, has not seen a SINGLE SCREEN WITHOUT THEM!

*) People who can't see the lines, to my knowledge, has not seen them on a SINGLE SCREEN!

I honestly think it is just a matter of right viewing distance, lighting and proper image on the screen. If you look at the screen from far or under a lamp or look at a very colorful image you won't see them.

Every time I take out the MBA, people look at it. In all types of lighting and at all angles, no one has seen lines. My guess is you have a bad screen, I believe that because you have stated so. By trying to convince me my screen is bad and never having looked at it, it leads me to believe you are bitter - and misery loves company.

T

The Toddfather

FWIW - Just received my MBA 2nd gen from Apple.com. It does have the grey lines, but similar to the ones I've seen at the Apple Store, I have to be just about up on the screen to really notice it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Good luck everyone.

No sir, I don't buy it. According to many on this forum, the lines are huge and you get headaches, you just don't realize it.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I have to be just about up on the screen to really notice it, so I'm not going to worry about it. Good luck everyone.

Wish I had your job. ;) I have to look at colors more accurately, and a grey dithered pattern on everything obstructs the view.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
No sir, I don't buy it. According to many on this forum, the lines are huge and you get headaches, you just don't realize it.

Why do we even have to argue about this when everybody has a digital camera at home and is able to take a photo and post it? Nobody claiming to not have the lines or have them should be believed unless he/she posts a photo. This thread is enormous but only *one* person has posted pictures. What the heck? Has anybody anywhere on macrumors posted a picture of a MBA screen *without* the lines?

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Why do we even have to argue about this when everybody has a digital camera at home and is able to take a photo and post it? Nobody claiming to not have the lines or have them should be believed unless he/she posts a photo. This thread is enormous but only *one* person has posted pictures. What the heck? Has anybody anywhere on macrumors posted a picture of a MBA screen *without* the lines?

I'll post pictures tomorrow if the good camera is at the office (of an MBA with the lines).

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148188&d=1229141854

T

The Toddfather

I took these at VGA setting because I could not get the others to upload...

Attachments

• DSC01380.JPG
    DSC01380.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC01381.JPG
    DSC01381.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 132

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land

It's hard to get a good pic of the screen but here is my Late 08 Air this makes it look terrible but there are no lines.

DSC00146.jpg

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
When I want to see the lines I simply go and open up a new window is TextEdit and make the screen all white and then it's pretty easy to see the lines.

It's hard to get a good pic of the screen but here is my Late 08 Air this makes it look terrible but there are no lines.

DSC00146.jpg

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
When I want to see the lines I simply go and open up a new window is TextEdit and make the screen all white and then it's pretty easy to see the lines.

Alright I tried. I think it's more of a camera problem than anything. I'm using a Sony DSC W-120.

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.