Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
how do I rename icons on the desktop in leopard without using right click? Is there no way to do it? For instance theres the windows bootcamp drive there called untitled. Any way to rename icons on desktop?

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Ah I see. Apart from this doesnt work with the untitled drive I have, it works on normal icons but not on the windows bootcamp drive I want to rename. Is there no way to rename this icon without right clicking? Its the same as the mac hd, that cant seem to be renamed either from desktop. Where else can I change the name without right click?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Ah I see. Apart from this doesnt work with the untitled drive I have, it works on normal icons but not on the windows bootcamp drive I want to rename. Is there no way to rename this icon without right clicking? Its the same as the mac hd, that cant seem to be renamed either from desktop. Where else can I change the name without right click?

Well since you can't rename it from the desktop it must be formatted as NTFS. You can rename that while you are booted into Windows and it will still show the new name when you return to Mac OSX though.

If it were a FAT32 formatted volume you could name it just like any other icon on the Mac desktop. Personally, I just hid the icon itself since I did not need it on my desktop! ;)

EDIT: BTW- you should be able to rename your Mac hard disk icon the same as any other icon on your desktop- click once to select it and press Enter (as was mentioned above by bartelby).

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks very much I understand now, yes it is ntfs so it cant be changed i just didnt think it would be the case with an icon. I think i might hide the icon although I was trying to use the mac with no right click but I think ill put right click on actually.

Ill change name from windows.

Thanks for the information!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.