Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Please, somebody, PLEASE tell me how I can get tap to click working on a MacBook running Windows under boot camp!

Every Windows laptop on the market has this functionality, and in OS X this also exists. Does anyone know how to make this work?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Check you Keyboard and Mouse preferences. You did install the drivers for the MacBook, right?

The keyboard and mouse preferences in Windows have no control over the tap to click feature of a trackpad - on Windows, that is supposed to be in the trackpad's drivers. For some reason, Apple didn't include this with theirs.

I installed Windows and then the Boot Camp drivers from my Leopard DVD, and then the Boot Camp update. Right now, I'm typing this from a terrible Dell laptop that is old and clunky, and even this computer has tap to click!

How do I get this to work??

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Maybe there are like 3rd party drivers or something? Does anyone know?

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Even though I don't personally use this function, I know many people that wish this was included in Boot Camp. Apple acknowledged on their forums that everything is working, this obviously is not the case with the track pad. Sorry, I don't know any 3rd party.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Update...

Can anyone confirm if this issue has been addressed with the new glass touchpad (MB/MBP Oct 2008)?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Can anyone confirm if this issue has been addressed with the new glass touchpad (MB/MBP Oct 2008)?

Update: There is actually tap to click in there - it's hidden away in the Boot Camp options and it works just like on OS X. Two finger tap does not create a right click though.

No, there is still no tap-to-click functionality in Windows. Not only that but there is now a massive issue which has arisen as a result of there being no mouse button. If you try to click with the side of your thumb on the trackpad then it will detect your thumb moving across the pad and will move the cursor as you are clicking. It is extremely frustrating and you really need to keep your forefinger on the trackpad at all times when you are trying to click.

eGraeme

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Update: There is actually tap to click in there - it's hidden away in the Boot Camp options and it works just like on OS X. Two finger tap does not create a right click though.

No, there is still no tap-to-click functionality in Windows. Not only that but there is now a massive issue which has arisen as a result of there being no mouse button. If you try to click with the side of your thumb on the trackpad then it will detect your thumb moving across the pad and will move the cursor as you are clicking. It is extremely frustrating and you really need to keep your forefinger on the trackpad at all times when you are trying to click.

doh!
this is no good
be sure to send in one of those WHINE AND COMPLAIN forms on the support site
seriously!

tecsi

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Tap to Click Option? Where?

You can enable tap-to-click under bootcamp pref's when inside windows.
Worked for me :)

MB 2.0
I have installed latest Boot Camp and don't see that option anywhere in the Boot Camp control panel. Please advise.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Also, I read somewhere that the unibody Macbooks have 3 finger right click in bootcamp.

This is from the Apple forums. I was curious to see if they finally resolved the click issue in bootcamp and apparently they did.

amazing :rolleyes:

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
You can enable tap-to-click under bootcamp pref's when inside windows.
Worked for me :)

MB 2.0

Didn't even have to enable it, just worked for me. :)

Actually, I'm running Fusion and it picks all the Mac OS' prefs, so you don't have to do anything. :cool:

tedfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Worked for me too.

exactly WHERE is this in boot camp preferences? this has already been asked before, can you please tell us if you know?

i don't see how this is so easily resolved, from what i've been reading, tons of people have the same annoying issues with:

- tap to click (not working)
- 2 finger scroll way too sensitive
- erratic 2-finger right click

BlackLight

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
if you have bootcamp 2.1 .there is a bootcamp icon at the bottom right corner of your windows taskbar.. ..click on it and it will give you some options ....click on bootcamp control panel and you can configure all you trackpad settings there including tap to click .....i've done it and using windows vista is a breeze for me

igoriss

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
if you have bootcamp 2.1 .there is a bootcamp icon at the bottom right corner of your windows taskbar.. ..click on it and it will give you some options ....click on bootcamp control panel and you can configure all you trackpad settings there including tap to click .....i've done it and using windows vista is a breeze for me

At me updating bootcamp 2.1 also is installed but I have the same problems - in bootcamp 2.1 there is no such option. Can you will show screenshot adjustments bootcamp 2.1 ?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
At me updating bootcamp 2.1 also is installed but I have the same problems - in bootcamp 2.1 there is no such option. Can you will show screenshot adjustments bootcamp 2.1 ?

My Macbook Air has the tap to click and drag functions in the bootcamp preferences for Vista. Works perfectly.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
After installing the touchpad update today, tapping and right clicking works even better than it already did. Two finger tapping now actually works, instead of having to physically click with three fingers. Scrolling, tapping; it all works like a charm in Vista 64.

BlackLight

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
check the screen shots below

Attachments

• Control Panel.png
    Control Panel.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Main page.png
    Main page.png
    485.3 KB · Views: 602
  • Function page.png
    Function page.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 512
  • Trackpad page.png
    Trackpad page.png
    486.9 KB · Views: 567

igoriss

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
After installing the touchpad update today, tapping and right clicking works even better than it already did. Two finger tapping now actually works, instead of having to physically click with three fingers. Scrolling, tapping; it all works like a charm in Vista 64.

It's absolutely unbelievable, this update (Multi-Touch Trackpad Update for Windows & Vista 1.0) is only for the late 2008 models! Anything made earlier is not covered by the patch. I have bought the macbook pro in the summer 2008. I cannot install it.

Apple causes unpleasant feelings

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Well if it's any consolation the multitouch trackpad update for the new unibody Macbooks broke tap to click. Every time you use two finger scroll to scroll a web page, for example, it also pops up the right click menu since tapping the trackpad with two fingers acts as a right click. Before the update this problem didn't exist because it was broken in another way and you had to use three fingers to right click instead. The only "fix" is to turn tap to click off, so it's not like the unibody is an improvement over the plastics in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.