Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I downloaded Handbrake in order to download movies onto my MBP, and then upload them onto my iPhone 3G.

However, is Handbrake necessary to use simply to download movies onto my MBP that I will later watch solely on my computer (that is, not upload them onto my iPhone)?

Or, is there software already pre-installed on my MBP that will allow me to download the movie (DVD) on my computer, without having to use Handbrake or like software?

After uploading, what application will allow me to watch the downloaded DVD?

Thanks everyone.. your help is appreciated. :confused:

-Kevin :cool:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Handbrake also encodes which IMO is necessary as an uncompressed rip take up too much disk space, but you could also get MacTheRipper which will just copy your DVD image over to the HDD. Ironically though, because of riplock on superdrives there is not much time diff to rip only vs. rip & encode simultaneously, which HB does nicely

Btw this is a Mac Apps issue, not MBP/PB

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Or, is there software already pre-installed on my MBP that will allow me to download the movie (DVD) on my computer, without having to use Handbrake or like software?

Disk Utility will make a full-fledged copy of the disk. Bare in mind this DVD image will eat up roughly seven gigabytes.

For a 3rd party app, look up MactheRipper.

davidleon

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
MacTheRipper 3.014M (the latest release) that is available from RipDifferent:

http://www.ripdifferent.com/forum/index.php

is your best bet for an exact copy of a DVD on Mac OS 10.5.x.

Once you have a VIDEO_TS folder ripped to your hard drive, you can play the movie by opening the VIDEO_TS folder with Apple's DVD Player.

(You may also find the latest version of MacTheRipper via BitTorrent and/or RapidShare downloads.)

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
i used to use disk utility in order to keep the full quality of the dvd's i would rip, but it just took up so much damn space.

i think handbrake is your best bet.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Handbrake can't rip commercial DVDs. You need need to use MTR to rip the movie and remove any of the encryption on it. I just rip the main feature which saves a gig or 2 so you don't have to compress it to fit on a standard DVD-R and so you don't loose the quality of the original. I can care less about fully animated menus or extra features. You can also remove extra languages too to save even more space.

When encoding with Handbrake, there's a setting already for the iphone/ipod touch. I think they are only 300-400mb or so from a full 2hr movie.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
For DVDs that are encrypted, is Disk Utility still a viable option? I do not mind the 7GB, give or take, amount of space that will be taken up on my hard drive, so compressing the content on the disc isn't necessarily my only option.

Also, can Handbrake itself not get around DVD encryption? I really don't feel like paying for MtR, which it sounds like I may have to do as I've heard that the older (and free) version, which is a few years old, has trouble handling the encryptions of today's DVDs.

Thanks for the advice so far! :)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
For DVDs that are encrypted, is Disk Utility still a viable option? I do not mind the 7GB, give or take, amount of space that will be taken up on my hard drive, so compressing the content on the disc isn't necessarily my only option.

Also, can Handbrake itself not get around DVD encryption? I really don't feel like paying for MtR, which it sounds like I may have to do as I've heard that the older (and free) version, which is a few years old, has trouble handling the encryptions of today's DVDs.

Thanks for the advice so far! :)

Disk Utility will not copy protected discs either. MTR is free. Just the new"er" beta you have to donate money for. I haven't had any problems with the earlier versions.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I really don't feel like paying for MtR, which it sounds like I may have to do as I've heard that the older (and free) version, which is a few years old, has trouble handling the encryptions of today's DVDs.

I used MtR 2.6.6 to make a copy of Oceans 13 today, which is a reasonably recent release. No problems, and Handbrake created a copy for my iPhone (using the supplied presets) that plays back perfectly.

And agreed on the useful information in this thread (this site needs a :thumbsup smiley).

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Disk Utility will not copy protected discs either. MTR is free. Just the new"er" beta you have to donate money for. I haven't had any problems with the earlier versions.

Which version of MtR are you currently using, or which have you had the most success with?

I'm most concerned with the more recent DVDs, which I've heard the older versions of mac the ripper don't handle so well. When you say you've had success with earlier versions, does this also include today's newly released DVDs?

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Could not find 2.66, but using 2.6.6

I downloaded 2.6.6. from mactheripper.org

Used it on a 2006 DVD, worked fine. For those of you that say you are using a free (non 3.x) version and have run into no problems, even with newly released DVDs (i.e. Oceans Thirteen - forum user Cliff3), which version are you using?

Like stated before I would like to stick with the free MTR releases.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I just use whatever the lastest release was prior to the 3.1 or whatever. I've used it on many 08 releases already and some can be quite difficult but the AARCCOS(sp?) setting should fix any of that as they usually just put bad sectors in the first .Vob only so when doing a normal rip, causes you to Pad the Vob which doesn't do anything and then you end up with an incomplete Vob. Just use that ARCCOS setting and transfer that first VOb to your other Rip folder replacing the one with the bad sectors.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Handbrake

Ok guys let me get this straight.. I have handbrake and MTR.. I want to get some DVD's and put them on my MBP and my iphone... Everytime I use MTR is seems to divide the movie into parts and when i want to watch it I have to click on each seperate part to get the full movie.. Almost like chapters on the dvd. How do you guys use it so it goes seamlessly..

James

davidleon

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
JForestZ34:

Rip the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive with MacTheRipper. Then, convert the VIDEO_TS folder to an iPhone-compatible format with VisualHub or ffmpegX.

Or, use HandBrake to rip the DVD to an iPhone-compatible format.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
This is what I did with one DVD, with the main purpose being that these ripped movies are for my iPhone 3G:

1 Rip the MAIN FEATURE of the DVD (VIDEO_TS) using mac the ripper 2.6.6
2 Compress the ripped movie for my iPhone using the iphone preset in Handbrake
3 Import to iTunes library

Is this sort of the method everyone else follows when ripping movies for their iPhones?

Using handbrake certainly is necessary, as y'all have said, making the main feature go from about 7+ GB to around 456MB.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
This is what I did with one DVD, with the main purpose being that these ripped movies are for my iPhone 3G:

1 Rip the MAIN FEATURE of the DVD (VIDEO_TS) using mac the ripper 2.6.6
2 Compress the ripped movie for my iPhone using the iphone preset in Handbrake
3 Import to iTunes library

Is this sort of the method everyone else follows when ripping movies for their iPhones?

Using handbrake certainly is necessary, as y'all have said, making the main feature go from about 7+ GB to around 456MB.

Here is an easier option:

1. Download the latest VLC Player (Handbrake 0.9.3 uses their decryption libraries for ripping a commercial DVD).
2. Use Handbrake to rip/encode the movie off of the DVD into the iPhone format.

Handbrake can't rip commercial DVDs.

That is not entirely true. It won't create a VIDEO_TS folder, but it will rip and encode it in one step to the format you choose.

kval885

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
copying dvd to macbook

can some one please tell me how to copy or upload and save a personal DVD to mac book. i dont know if i can save it on Imovie. please help.

thanks

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
can some one please tell me how to copy or upload and save a personal DVD to mac book. i dont know if i can save it on Imovie. please help.

thanks

I just put the DVD into the superdrive, and open handbreak. After handbreak reads the DVD, i select the iPhone format and hit start. They take about 1 - 1.5 hours. After that i just add it to itunes and there you have it.

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
do you use any special settings for ripping dvd or blu ray to mp4 files to sync with itunes? I'll like to keep the best quality possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.