Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
After buying a second hand imac 20" (late 2006 model) I keep reading a lot of things about them only lasting 3 to 5 years? Although im not sure if this is the g5 model? Althugh I thought they were the same thing?

how long are they expected to last, roughly? I guess theres no way to tell when it was first purchased but obviously must be late 2006 or after for mine. Its a core duo 2, so are these better reliability wise than the g5 I wonder.

thanks!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I think when people say "life expectancy" they are usually not referring to the Imac (or any computer) physically dying - they are talking about how long before newer software is not practical to use with the older computer, or is no longer officially supported by newer software. At some point the hardware will no longer be supported - that does not mean it stops working......oh yeah!

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Well the stuff ive been reading is where the logic board breaks after 3 years, rather than when its out of date. So i was wondering the same thing for this imac about hardware exploding rather than getting out of date? I dont kow I feel like it was very expensive compared to the pc and that if anything breaks on it Im doomed! Hence Im a bit worried!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Well the stuff ive been reading is where the logic board breaks after 3 years, rather than when its out of date. So i was wondering the same thing for this imac about hardware exploding rather than getting out of date? I dont kow I feel like it was very expensive compared to the pc and that if anything breaks on it Im doomed! Hence Im a bit worried!
You shouldn't be. Mac owners have been known to keep their Macs running for 4, 5, even 7 years before replacing them. Yes, hardware does fail, but even if that happens it can usually be replaced.

spunklemonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
hmm ok, i guess it is a late 2006 model so its got some life left in it hopefully.

thanks as always

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Well I currently have an iMac G5 (bought it in November of 2005) and it's doing great so far..no virus..nothing. It also depend on what you are using it for...Intensive usage of the computer could shorten the life time of your iMac...Other than that I think it last quite a long time :)

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Y2K G3 iMac here, humming along running Tiger without any problems. Don't need a new one, but will probably get one next year if new one is released and keep my current one upstairs.

MacmancUK

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
After buying a second hand imac 20" (late 2006 model) I keep reading a lot of things about them only lasting 3 to 5 years? Although im not sure if this is the g5 model? Althugh I thought they were the same thing?

how long are they expected to last, roughly? I guess theres no way to tell when it was first purchased but obviously must be late 2006 or after for mine. Its a core duo 2, so are these better reliability wise than the g5 I wonder.

thanks!

My refurb G5 is still going strong 3 years after purchase.

I only replaced my old G3 because the monitor display started to go out of focus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.