Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huskerwr38

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I have a ringtone that I want to put on my iphone 3g from my wifes computer, but when I try and sync that ringtone to my iphone it will erase all my other stuff. So how do I add just that one ringtone and keep all my videos, music, and stuff without erasing it! Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is the ringtone purchased? If so, this is going to be tough without putting the iPhone in manual management mode.

If it's not purchased, just copy it into your own library.

huskerwr38

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
no it's not purchased. I can't put it into my library cause I'm 2000 miles away from were my library is located. So I can't sync anything from this computer onto my iphone without erasing all my other stuff. Is there any other way?

T10HJS

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Milton Keynes
i know what you mean, your iphone will only sync with one computer, think a way around this is plug your iphone in then go along the tabs "music, videos....." and make sure there not set to synch, and just sync the ringtones tab.

I have a question how do you create ringtones using iTunes 8.2 i have no option to convert to acc file :(

huskerwr38

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Sorry not sure how to convert to an acc, I just downloaded the file in the ringtone format.

Okay I tried that and it said that it will erase all my stuff on my iphone, so I don't think that will work.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
i know what you mean, your iphone will only sync with one computer, think a way around this is plug your iphone in then go along the tabs "music, videos....." and make sure there not set to synch, and just sync the ringtones tab.

I have a question how do you create ringtones using iTunes 8.2 i have no option to convert to acc file :(

Sorry not sure how to convert to an acc, I just downloaded the file in the ringtone format.

Okay I tried that and it said that it will erase all my stuff on my iphone, so I don't think that will work.

If you two are using a Mac with GarageBand, you can use that for ringtones. Make a new project, import the song, trim it, and export. Stick it into the iTunes library and sync. Although you still need the original computer you synced your iPhone with to add the ringtone.

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
to add music to my iPod touch from 2 diff computers, i have settings on my iPod info page (the main one listing the iPod's information) to manually manage music. With that setting, i can drag and drop at least music and videos, i'm not sure if you can drag and drop ringtones.

just set to manually manage music and videos, and try to drag and drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.